PDA

View Full Version : Linkage leangths

J51S
05-01-2012, 08:03 AM
I had a quick question on the 05 vs 06+ swingarm. I know that the newer one is 1in or so longer.

So does the mount on the swingarm change or is the linkage length different between the years?

chronicsmoke
05-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Yes the mount changes, Shocks, Links AND dogbones are different between years.

If you find a setup that works good on you're hybrid let me know. I have an 05 swinger on there right now, but I have an 06+ one PC'd black that I want to put on it too..

J51S
05-01-2012, 08:57 AM
chronicsmoke Yes the mount changes, Shocks, Links AND dogbones are different between years. If you find a setup that works good on you're hybrid let me know. I have an 05 swinger on there right now, but I have an 06+ one PC'd black that I want to put on it too..

Thanks for the info. Ya I basically need to get my rear lowered a bit so I was looking into the mx/xc links. Rite now I have 05 450 swinger with 400ex shock and linkage.

I'm now thinking of going with the 06+ mx link because its longer meaning it would lower it more since I'm running a 400ex shock which is longer than the 450.

dustin_j
05-01-2012, 09:13 AM
If you are going to buy an aftermarket linkage, I'd recommend a GT Thunder link for the year swingarm you are using. If you plan to use your 05 swingarm, buy an 05 MX link to match. The GTT link will lower your ride height and eliminate the bucking you get from the stock rear end. The GTT links are designed to optimize the stock shock travel; you will need to find an 04/05 450R shock to rebuild and use with the linkage. The 400EX shock is too long for that link.

dustin_j
05-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Wait, I just realized you're talking about your 400EX framed 450R hybrid. The 04/05 450R and 400ex GTT MX linkages are the same, except for the notch cut into the 400 links to clear the frame. Do not use an 06+ GTT link as it will be too long. I would recommend a 400EX GTT MX link; they work awesome. You will need to get your 400EX shock resprung and revalved for the new linkage.

J51S
05-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the info!^^ Reason why I wanted to try the 06+ link was just to see how it will work. If it lowered it too much I would just buy an 06+swingarm anyway. Still not sure how the 400ex shock would make it sit.

I guess its trial and error for me since I'm a hybrid:rolleyes:

I guess the option to run a 450r Rear shock if its too tall is open too.

dustin_j
05-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by J51S
Thanks for the info!^^ Reason why I wanted to try the 06+ link was just to see how it will work. If it lowered it too much I would just buy an 06+swingarm anyway. Still not sure how the 400ex shock would make it sit.

I guess its trial and error for me since I'm a hybrid:rolleyes:

I guess the option to run a 450r Rear shock if its too tall is open too.

I just looked at your build thread, and if you did not change your shock, swingarm, or linkage mount locations, you're basically riding a 400EX with a lighter engine. You don't have to do trial and error, you can run something that works right off the bat. If you really want to you can try an 06 link, but it won't work for mx and I'm not sure if the swingarm would completely correct it for a 400EX. Hopefully this helps, let us know what you figure out.