PDA

View Full Version : Ricks stator any good?

Grande Huevos
04-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Im buying a new stator and was wondering if anybody has any recommendations? Now I know oem is the best route but i cannot bring my self to spend $310 with as little as I ride anymore. Im am wanting to stay away from ricky stator because ive read and heard far more bad things then good about them. I am leaning towards "Ricks electronics" (I think is the name) as of right now because ive heard good things about them and they are only $150 but is there any other companies I should check out before making the purchase??

Ruf Racing
05-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Never used a Ricky's. I have one from Electrosport on my 450r. Been good for years.
http://www.electrosport.com/

JackBrown1988
05-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Used ricky stator for years never had problems.

bhatch21
05-01-2012, 12:43 PM
I put a brand new Electrosport stator with pulse generator on my 88 250r last fall. After I still got no spark, I tested the stator while someone was kicking it and determined the pulse generator leads were backwards. After switching the wires around it fired up on the first kick.

D Bergstrom
05-01-2012, 01:49 PM
I have ran a Ricky Stator 200 watt stator in my 250R since I bought it back in 2005. Lasted untill 2009 when I went on a dune trip and lost spark. After I got home, ended up that the stator was bad. Called Ricky Stator to order another 200 watt stator and while I was on the phone I asked if I could send my old one back to see if it could be repaired, figure I could use it as a spare. They said sure, we will give you a quote on getting it fixed. So I ordered a new one and a couple of weeks later I shipped the old one back. Two weeks later I see a box at my door, was a brand new 200 watt stator. Invoice in the box said warranty replacement. Figure that is pretty good if they will still warranty an electrical part after four years. Sure, I already bought a new one, but the replacement will make a nice spare to take with me on long weekends.

Doug

wilkin250r
05-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Never had a problem with Ricky Stator.

86Rrider
05-03-2012, 10:59 AM
I cannot find the name of the place, but years ago (about '97 I think it was) I had my stator rewound by a place in Mass. I got the names of stator service places out f the back of a Dirt Wheels mag and called 3 of them. Ironically, all 3 were within 20 miles of each other in Mass. I went with the place I chose, becasue they offered a "life time warranty" on their work. 15 years later, I still have not had any problem with that re-done stator, but I'm not sure if the place that did the work is in business any more.

My point is, you could get your non-functioning stator re-wound for around $100.

sand_blaster
05-04-2012, 12:58 AM
I just bought a ricky stator instead of the cr ignition, i'll let you know if its good quality & see if I can get 250r to run.

Grande Huevos
05-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Never had a problem with Ricky Stator.

Alright one last question..... I think Ive decided on the 200watt ricky but I noticed on there website they had 2 different ones. One for the 86-88 and another for the 89 Whats the diff and how do I know which one I need? I searched Service Honda and they still make the 88 style new for $200 but the 89 is discontinued? I did not see anything different from looking at the scamatics pics. Can anybody help answer this??

D Bergstrom
05-04-2012, 10:16 AM
One of the stator plugs is different. I believe two of the wires on the 86-88 stators have bullet connectors on them, while the same two wires have a plastic double connector on the 89 stator. Either one will work, but depending on what connections your wiring harness has on it, you may have to modify the one connection.

Doug