PDA

View Full Version : Ambush Tires

Ludicrous Speed
04-30-2012, 09:14 PM
I know I don't post often, but I tend to lurk a lot.

My 400EX was in need of tires, and one of my friends called me and asked if I needed any. Apparently his son had traded for a 400 EX and had it about three days before trading it off. In that time, he bought a set of Ambush tires for the rear, and took the wheels and tires off before trading it.

I purchased them, and put them on my quad. One tire was low, so I just threw some air in it, and took a quick spin. Quad kept pulling to the left, so I went back and dug out the gauge and made sure I had the same amount in both tires. Went for a ride again, and when I stood it up, I could have almost done circle wheelies!

I brought it back and looked at the rear, one tire seemed larger than the other! Got a flexible fabric tape and checked the circumference. One measured 57", and the other measured 59"!! :eek2:

Needless to say, I no longer own them:D

Just something to look out for when buying these CHEAP type of tires

dxcody
04-30-2012, 10:02 PM
so they sent you a 22" and a 20" or were they both labeled the same? lol

TacicalRedneck
05-01-2012, 05:58 AM
I have CST tires on my mountain bike and had some ambushs on my old 4 wheeler.. I loved them for the price.. Looked good, rode good, lots of grab in the mud..
Looks like you could've got something more out of the deal from their customer service though.

Are they for sale?
:D

TheAwesomehonda
05-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Well it isn't only those tires that do that b/c my maxxis razr 6 ply did the samething man. I'm guessing that it's caused from having to pump it up alot to seat the bead. You just have to not worry about the psi and get them so there the same size. Letting all the air out for awhile may also work to shrink the tire.

Honda4life05
05-01-2012, 07:11 PM
My maxxiz rzr mx's do the same thing, one is alot larger if they have the same psi.

05-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Ambush tires are the worst. If you ride near anything that even looks like a rock don't buy those, the sidewalls are paper thin. I had them on my 400 for about 4 rides and came back from 3 rides with flats, 3 different holes!

Thumpin440ex
05-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Ambush is the same company that makes the M razors. They are put out to be better then a OEM tire, but not as exp as a 4-6 ply tire. I have had them on my bike now for almost 2 years with some extreme riding with out issue. The tread has held up great, I would def def buy them again giving the price of other tires. Just my op, not sure why you have 2 diff size tires. :hmmm

John

Ludicrous Speed
05-01-2012, 09:01 PM
They were not the stock size, in fact, I have completely forgotten what size they were, but the sidewalls were both stamped the same.

I have never had a name brand tire do this though. At least with a two inch difference. Half inch, maybe....

The kid took them back and I got my money.

From now on, I will stick to the larger manufacturers

Thumpin440ex
05-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Maxxis is one of the biggest tire makes out. Jfyi :)

John

TacicalRedneck
05-02-2012, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by #484
Ambush tires are the worst. If you ride near anything that even looks like a rock don't buy those, the sidewalls are paper thin. I had them on my 400 for about 4 rides and came back from 3 rides with flats, 3 different holes!

Well, i had some on my old ex.. Thats all we have here, creeks, rocks, a LOT of rocks. I ride over a natural waterfall than is all rock. Lots of rocks the size of your fist, or 2 fists on the mx track.. Never had a problem for the time i had those tires.

05-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Maybe I just had a bad set of them? Not sure. But I won't buy another set to find out!!!

Thumpin440ex
05-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Yes you prob did, hey even the best places can have issues with QC. Maybe the tires were factory seconds that the guy bought. From the different sets of tires I have used through the years, $ for $ these are prob the best I have found.

John

CJM
05-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Cheng shin makes ambush, cheng shin tire, GBC and maxxis btw.. All the same tires basically.

chronicsmoke
05-03-2012, 08:23 AM
I bought 4 new Razrs for my raptor and took it out for 5 minutes and had a whole big enough to put 3 fingers through in the sidewall. I ride the same trail with 2 ply MX tires and that's never happened before..

Needless to say it was "my fault" and they wouldn't warrenty it.

the only Maxxis (GBC,Sheng Ching,ect) tires I'll ever run again are the Quad Cross fronts.