PDA

View Full Version : airbox lid

sportbikeridr
04-30-2012, 02:53 PM
need some info... what is better for my 400ex... drill 6 one inch holes in my airbox or run without a airbox lid ? i have a twinfilter on at the moment... any info will be greatly appriciated... tanks

tri5ron
04-30-2012, 03:06 PM
First,
is your engine bone stock ?
Do you have a stock OEM exhaust / muffler ?
Cam ?
Carb ?

For most of us running without the airbox lid, (or a modified lid),...
It is because we need more airflow.

This is usually due to changing the exhaust, cam, piston, carb, etc.

TheAwesomehonda
04-30-2012, 04:54 PM
I get a alot of dirt, snow, mud and other **** in my air box without the lid which is very annoying.

Drfat400ex
04-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Take the lid right off and get an outerwears lid if you're getting alot of crap in there. Just make sure you keep your filter clean.

quadmanw
04-30-2012, 05:33 PM
X2 with tri5ron. If you have any of the above things mentioned just throw that lid away and put a uni in there. Or now a lot of guys are doing the lid motification

slightlybent47
04-30-2012, 05:58 PM
If your bone stock, I’d leave the lid on. That will keep your filter much cleaner. If not use an outer filter over the foam filter to catch the big chunks that bounce off the bottom of the seat and get trapped in the filter box, when the lid is removed.

It also depends on where you ride, track or trails. Trail riding usually means going through mud holes and water holes. I’d run the lid in that situation.

hondaREX
05-01-2012, 04:58 AM
I run my lid slightly propped open in the front. I figure it acts like a scoop as well. The front of the lid sits on the front 2 clips to stay open. I think im going to try something different this year but this setup has worked so far. Im only running a K&N with outerwear with jetted stock carb and ground header welds right now. So any more go fast parts and it will need more air.