PDA

View Full Version : All you offroad truck guys out there

Heatpump#4
04-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Alright this is what im working with.. ive got a 2008 Chevy 1500 4x4 im about to do a soild axle swap the front suspension ive done this before on one of my old trucks but i used cross over steering. So i have a general idea of what im doing. the issue im having is the rack and pinon steering i wanted to try and use that on the axle im going to use (dana 44 out of a 89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer) just curious to know if that possiable or should i plan on getting a steering gear box.. just trying to do something different Im also only going to be running 35's or 37's max Any help would be appreciated!

KKiowaTJ
04-30-2012, 07:15 PM
How will you fix it if it breaks on the trail? Who will be able to help you on a custom system like that? You have to look at the pro's and con's of wanting something different. IMO keep a steering gear. Yeah its cool to have something different, But at what expense and if it was/is possible they would have kits and conversions for it already. Plus who has parts other than weak OEM? Go to off road designs, They love the big rigs and build them well equipped.

Go with a PSC or AGR box tapped for hydro assist. Or take your current and have it tapped. You can go assist, Full hydro or a cheap redneck ram assist. All very heavy duty and IF you do break, You can fix it easily and with other guys that know what your rig has, Can have it back up and running in minutes.

That dana44 is only a half ton at best and is ok for a mall crawler, But tire size wise your maxed at 35" tires. Get a dana 60 and be done. Its a little over kill, But you wont have to worry about that being your weak link. You can get by with a 37" BFG as they run small and your actually getting a 35" tire. But if your talking 37" Iroks or pit bull rockers, Good luck.

If you want to keep the 44, You better get 4340 shafts and joints or bobby long shafts to keep from twisting splines. Good luck either way.

Heatpump#4
05-01-2012, 05:55 AM
Sorry for not giving better details lol im not wheeling this truck not for a few years anyways its strickly an on road truck. i completely agree with everything you said on there if i was crawling and mudding it but ive got another truck for that stuff

fastredrider44
05-01-2012, 07:45 AM
If it's strictly going to be kept on the road, what's wrong with the IFS?

Heatpump#4
05-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Something Different really no one around where i live have one with a SAS. Plus im not a fan of the IFS

Stickman400
05-01-2012, 11:35 AM
I agree with ya on that one. IFS rides nice, but a SAS looks and performs so much better if you ever want to take a little trip off road.

Heatpump#4
05-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Exactly stickman read my mind perfectly

fastredrider44
05-01-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm with you all the way. I've had plenty of SA and IFS trucks, but I can't see spending the money to do the swap if it's never going to get "used". I don't think I could bring myself to messing with that new of a truck anyway. :blah:

Heatpump#4
05-01-2012, 03:33 PM
i mean its gonna get used just not extreme use maybe some mud holes and pulling ppl out but thats it..

KKiowaTJ
05-02-2012, 12:17 AM
IFS is for the high end SUV's IMO. Much easier to service a solid axle, Parts are cheaper and you can build them strong or OEM with a better advantage. IFS has it good points but not on a lifted truck.

I still lean toward a steering gear. You can fabricate and draw up plans for a rack in the spare time. Its not to hard to add giving you have done it before. A PSC hydro set up is great IMO.
I know they are not built for MPG's, But you might pick up a few with the waggy 44 having warn hub's. That and save on front end parts wearing out. Good luck either way

Heatpump#4
05-02-2012, 02:30 PM
yeah i think im going to i just bought the cross over steering kit for a Dana 44 and a steering box so now its just finding the time to do it lol ill post pics up along the way!

brian76708
05-02-2012, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't put a d44 IMO it's waist of money when the ifs is probably just as strong. Do a d60 or keep the ifs IMO.

Edit: nvm just read it's just a mall crawler

CJM
05-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
I wouldn't put a d44 IMO it's waist of money when the ifs is probably just as strong. Do a d60 or keep the ifs IMO.

Edit: nvm just read it's just a mall crawler

Regardless, a D60 on a 1/2 ton isnt worth it either :blah:

fastredrider44
05-02-2012, 05:58 PM
44 axles will get the job done if you use your head and not your right foot, but there's no fun in that. Any other plans for the truck or just lift, axle and wheels and tires?

Kickstarts-suck
05-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Heatpump#4
no one around where i live have one with a SAS. Plus im not a fan of the IFS

No one does a SAS on an on road truck for a reason ;)

Huge waste of time and money IMO. Plus a D44 isn't all that big of an upgrade. :ermm:

TCracin440ex
05-02-2012, 09:10 PM
honestly you come to an ATV forum to ask questions about trucks. GO join fullsizechevy.com they can answer or have already answerd any and every question you might have concering solid axle swap.

TCracin440ex
05-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
Huge waste of time and money IMO. Plus a D44 isn't all that big of an upgrade. :ermm:

DING DING DING. hit the nail right on the head.

Me personally if i was going to solid axle swap my pickup. id pull out all the stops. first of all id be searching for a 78-79 ford f350 4x4 with the D60 driver side drop front axle that has the king pin, much stronger and is a ton rated axle.

2nd of all id be searching for a corp 14b FF axle out of an older chevy pickup, OR a 14b out of a NBS or NNBS duramax that already has the disk brakes. they are right stout too. then you need to regear BOTH axles to match.

then you need to figure out yourself what do you plan on doing with the vehicle to determine what type of suspension you need to be running, there are several options out there now all depending on what your going to do

IF you plan on mall crawling, SCRATCH ALL THE ABOVE. get a good IFS lift kit, throw on a good looking tire & wheel combo, and ride. there is no need to spend that kind of money on a solid axle swap if your going to just mall crawl and want to ditch IFS. if you take care of your IFS, it will hold up with a IFS lift kit.

END OF RANT

TCracin440ex
05-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Alright this is what im working with.. ive got a 2008 Chevy 1500 4x4 im about to do a soild axle swap the front suspension ive done this before on one of my old trucks but i used cross over steering. So i have a general idea of what im doing. the issue im having is the rack and pinon steering i wanted to try and use that on the axle im going to use (dana 44 out of a 89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer) just curious to know if that possiable or should i plan on getting a steering gear box.. just trying to do something different Im also only going to be running 35's or 37's max Any help would be appreciated!

also the jeep wagoneer axle IS NOT no where near wide enough for a full size truck sorry to rain on your parade.

also on edit: id be more concerned with the flimsy ***** 10bolt rearend under that truck. do yourself a favor and start saving now for a 14b SF out of an 89-98 model k1500 6 lug. but if you plan on keeping the 10b alteast go get yourself a detroit tru trac, along with a girdle. that will add some years to the axle. but by all means get rid of the G80 locking rear diff. that will leave you stranded faster then your "Weak IFS". trust me.

and if you just plan on going off road to pull a few people out what is wrong with IFS. i had a 2000 nbs silverado and wheeled it with IFS. never had a minutes problem.

Heatpump#4
05-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Im spending the money doing a soild axle swap because its different and i want to. I wasnt trying to make a "major upgrade" because a 44 can handle everything im going to use it for. The rear axle already has detroit true trac yukon gears an mosier axles and ive already had to replace both cv axles in the front once and not because i broke them either, the boots failed. Thats kinda why i doing a SAS ive already been threw the dana 60 kin pin front with 14 bolt FF rear with disc brakes 4.56's and 38's i did it on the last truck i had. And i posted this on the Open forum on here because i didnt feel like have to go threw all the stuff to join on fullsizechevy if its really that big of a deal. Didnt mean to hurt your feelings pal. And Fastredrider44 i agree theres no fun using your head and not your foot but i dont wanna mess this on up its gonna be more for show than anything.

brian76708
05-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Im spending the money doing a soild axle swap because its different and i want to. I wasnt trying to make a "major upgrade" because a 44 can handle everything im going to use it for. The rear axle already has detroit true trac yukon gears an mosier axles and ive already had to replace both cv axles in the front once and not because i broke them either, the boots failed. Thats kinda why i doing a SAS ive already been threw the dana 60 kin pin front with 14 bolt FF rear with disc brakes 4.56's and 38's i did it on the last truck i had. And i posted this on the Open forum on here because i didnt feel like have to go threw all the stuff to join on fullsizechevy if its really that big of a deal. Didnt mean to hurt your feelings pal. And Fastredrider44 i agree theres no fun using your head and not your foot but i dont wanna mess this on up its gonna be more for show than anything.

how are you planning to do the suspension? leaf springs, radius arms/ springs, 4 link , 3link ect ?

Heatpump#4
05-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Leaf springs

TCracin440ex
05-03-2012, 07:45 PM

trust me you arent hurting my feelings none, im just being honest with you. your on an atv forum asking questions about a solid axle swap for your truck. join the proper forum, they will have better answers.

but like i said the grand wagoneer axle isnt wide enough for a full size truck. you want a D44 out of a ford f250 78-79 model and use chevy outer knuckles with the 6 lug pattern.