PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Hunting

HondaRacing83
04-29-2012, 06:46 PM
who all coyote hunts? its in season year round in pa, i have a lot of property and it never crossed my mind. always saw some deer hunting. im borrowing my buddys coyote call tomorrow and planned on going out everyday after school this week since weathers gonna be nice. any pointers i should know? the call is like a dying rabbit i guess they like that. im probably gonna be using my .243 since my trusty gamo hornet pellet gun ive been using for varmints prob wont kill one. untill later in the week when my new bow and easton arrows come and my buddies gonna lemme borrow some broadheads so i might even use that later on

finsteratv
04-29-2012, 09:07 PM
I've been wondering the same thing..But screw the .243 ...I dont wanna pay for that kinda ammo.. I'll just call em in enough to use my .22 :D My problem is that theyre are cougar and bear in the area so mabe the .243 would be better...Try to keep movement to a minimum when calling them and just wait..Thats pretty much what I've heard.

dxcody
04-29-2012, 09:23 PM
They say a coyotes sense of smell is better than deer. So make sure your scent free.

Deff gotta keep the coyotes under control if your planning on doing some deer hunting this year.

Freaking things, here in good old, dumb Indiana they made a specific "Coyote season".. Why? Hell if i know.

The funny part is they say "You can only hunt them during season, UNLESS they are a nuisance."

When the hell are coyotes NOT a nuisance?

lol

Anyways, just be sure not to smell like a french whore when your out there, wear decent camo, and use the call right and i think your about set.

Lucky for us, we dont have any Mountain lions or anything like that around here so i can use a .22

Then you dont scare off everything in the Woods when you shoot.

My dad was just telling me he saw 4 coyote pups today. Neither him or I have ever seen coyotes in Pup form, and he has been hunting and what not for a long time.

Pretty cool. Good luck!

Tommy Warren
04-29-2012, 11:03 PM
the trick is to catch a roadrunner...and when the coyote tries to drop a piano on the roadrunner, thats when you make your move....you can use a .243 but an acme jackhammer works great;)

HondaRacing83
04-30-2012, 05:09 AM
Oh geez Tommy.. Shoulda figured that much outta you! Haha and alright, will do guys. Me and my Dad will probably go out throughout the week or maybe I will. I could use my .22 but I really wanna just facking blast them. Hell might even throw a slug in my 12 guage, Lol. Do I need to bait it?

ben300
04-30-2012, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Oh geez Tommy.. Shoulda figured that much outta you! Haha and alright, will do guys. Me and my Dad will probably go out throughout the week or maybe I will. I could use my .22 but I really wanna just facking blast them. Hell might even throw a slug in my 12 guage, Lol. Do I need to bait it?

koyotes are, imo one of the hardest creatures out there to hunt...

you get close enough to shoot them with your 22, you let me know

smr
04-30-2012, 07:31 AM
killed this one last year.

dxcody
04-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by ben300

I missed one with my bow last year from 20 yards away... :grr:

I used my 30 yard pin. Then after showing my dad where the coyote was he was like, Hell dude thats only 15 maybe 20 yards!

Oh well, rookie mistake. Thats the closest i have ever been to one in the woods though. And he was focused on something.

250x_kyle
04-30-2012, 10:57 AM
. Do I need to bait it?

baiting in pa is pretty much illegal.

Taking Advantage of Food or Bait:

It is unlawful to hunt in or around

any area where artificial or natural bait, food, hay, grain, fruit, nuts, salt,
chemicals or minerals, including their residues, are used, or have been used
within the past 30 days

LTR450_#67
04-30-2012, 11:52 AM
We just roll out with sks's..... I don't really see how they are hard to get.....when we are harvesting we see them quite a bit. Usually see 4-5 of them on dads farm during deer season....

ben300
04-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
baiting in pa is pretty much illegal.

Taking Advantage of Food or Bait:

It is unlawful to hunt in or around

any area where artificial or natural bait, food, hay, grain, fruit, nuts, salt,
chemicals or minerals, including their residues, are used, or have been used
within the past 30 days

not pretty much...it is totally much illegal...if the DCNR catches you baiting....they'll really let you have it, regardless of the situation

Originally posted by LTR450_#67
We just roll out with sks's..... I don't really see how they are hard to get.....when we are harvesting we see them quite a bit. Usually see 4-5 of them on dads farm during deer season....

in PA, we cant use sks's or AR's or any semi automatic riffle for that matter. we also dont have fields like you guys do in the plain states....its a heck of a lot tougher to see them coming here when a field may only be a couple hundred yars across, instead of miles across...

most guys i know around me that are "fairly" successful hunting them hunt gravel pits or railroad beds

Tommy Warren
04-30-2012, 02:35 PM
I've never heard of anybody actually eating coyote....is that what you guys do??? I just leave a bucket of antifreeze out in the woods with some meat on the ground around it.... that keeps them away from my chickens for good;)

HondaRacing83
04-30-2012, 02:43 PM
alright, yeah i forgot i just read it was illegal last night. i got the call, going out to sit in the treestand now.

Tommy Warren
04-30-2012, 03:31 PM
around here its only legal to hunt coons at night..... raccoon's that is

HondaRacing83
04-30-2012, 06:29 PM
didnt get one but was still a success. saw my first coyote at about 40 yards. tried calling it in closer but didnt get a clear shot. going to take my .243 tomorrow and my dads gonna take his 300 windmag.

HondaRacing83
04-30-2012, 07:34 PM
once i get my bow, ill be using that.

finsteratv
04-30-2012, 08:13 PM
I love my .300win mag..drops whatever I can hit and reaches out far enough to shoot Tommy from here in Oregon :D

Tommy Warren
04-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
I love my .300win mag..drops whatever I can hit and reaches out far enough to shoot Tommy from here in Oregon :D
you'd have to have quite the range finder for that....I have a british 303 that could hit your bullet before it got here:cool:

finsteratv
04-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Oh Tommy you is so smart :p but technically..

tbrackman84
05-01-2012, 06:19 AM
it is legal to bait coyotes in PA, look it up on the game comission web site. Don't go out half - cocked to hunt them either. Do alot of research and be prepared or you will do nothing but educate them and never shoot or see one. Scent control, proper camo, and good calling techniques are all necessary. You need at least a 22 -250 for coyotes IMO, but a 243 would work well too. It will just cause alot more pelt damage. I hunt with a foxpro spit fire, kill lights made by elusive wildlife from boondock outdoors, and a mossberg 835 turkey tactical shotgun with extra full choke and buck #4. The rifle I use is a 243 as well. Hunting them at night is awesome, but you need good lights and MUST identify your target.

250x_kyle
05-01-2012, 11:11 AM
once i get my bow, ill be using that.
wouldnt take a bow out coyote hunting it can be done but for a new shooter you will probably loose more arrows then anything and at 20 ish a pop not counting expensive broad heads it will get expensive fast.

HondaRacing83
05-01-2012, 01:49 PM
thanks kyle, im gonna practice a lot and move my treestand to a better spot. what page is it on tbrackman? im a lil sketchy of that. today actually i havnt decided to go back with my 12 guage and sit up against a tree and cover myself well or sit in my stand or shanny at the corner of the field with a rifle.

250x_kyle
05-02-2012, 10:33 PM
not pretty much...it is totally much illegal...if the DCNR catches you baiting....they'll really let you have it, regardless of the situation

you can have food plots and minerals out just cant have any in the area within 30 days season.

ben300
05-03-2012, 06:24 AM
you can have food plots and minerals out just cant have any in the area within 30 days season.

hunting on food plots is 100% legal. i do a solid 65% of my deer hunting on food plots.....same with apple trees....and corn fields...its completely legal to hunt corn fields and natural apple trees, but like you said, if your going to artificially suppliment their food intake, ie dump apples, corn, or a salt lick...you cant hunt it ....ive known a couple people to get pinched for hunting near salt licks and for dumping apples around apple treest during the season ..

now for coyote...i guess you can hunt with dead bait, but you cant take farmer frans chickens or a live rabbit out and tie it up...that'll get ya...

ive still konw ppl to get busted fro baiting coyotes as well...maybe the DCNR officers in my area are total dicks? i dunno

250x_kyle
05-03-2012, 07:07 AM

ive still konw ppl to get busted fro baiting coyotes as well...maybe the DCNR officers in my area are total dicks? i dunno

i beleive they transfered old bimber up to venango county if they did then yeah.

smr
05-03-2012, 07:18 AM
do a little research.

baiting for coyota is 100% legal in PA. I know everystate is different so I just did a search on google.

took this from PA predator hunters association

PPHA Accomplishments
Orange requirements changed.
#4 Buck Shot approved.
Road kill furbearers now able to be picked up.
Gun mounted lights made legal.
Decoys allowed for use with all predators.
Cable restraints made legal.
PPHA vote was one of three votes needed to pass.
The other two groups assisting in passing this were the Trappers Association and the Hounds Men Club.
Exposed bait legal for hunting (Coyote Only).
Organized the first Predator Hunting Association in Pennsylvania.
Held the first ever Pennsylvania Predator Hunting Expo. Held the first official Pennsylvania Predator Calling Championship.

In Ky we can bait just about anything but Turkey.

ben300
05-03-2012, 08:00 AM
i beleive they transfered old bimber up to venango county if they did then yeah.

im in mercer co., but we have our share of *** rams in our area as well. lots of new young guys that are out to make arrests to get their power trip on..

...but the again, we have a fair shair of crooked people who like to take advantage of the law when it comes to hunting

ben300
05-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by smr
do a little research.

baiting for coyota is 100% legal in PA. I know everystate is different so I just did a search on google.

took this from PA predator hunters association

PPHA Accomplishments
Orange requirements changed.
#4 Buck Shot approved.
Road kill furbearers now able to be picked up.
Gun mounted lights made legal.
Decoys allowed for use with all predators.
Cable restraints made legal.
PPHA vote was one of three votes needed to pass.
The other two groups assisting in passing this were the Trappers Association and the Hounds Men Club.
Exposed bait legal for hunting (Coyote Only).
Organized the first Predator Hunting Association in Pennsylvania.
Held the first ever Pennsylvania Predator Hunting Expo. Held the first official Pennsylvania Predator Calling Championship.

In Ky we can bait just about anything but Turkey.

thats cause you live in kentucky;) :p

i just checked out the PA game commission's website, and no where did it say that baiting was legal or illegal. all it said was that coyotes are to be treated as large game...and i konw for a fact that you are not allowed to bait large game (deer, bear, bobcats, etc) in PA.....i even read an article, on their site, from a biologist, on the proper way to hunt coyotes, and he spoke nothing of baiting

HondaRacing83...heed my advice adn just dont bait untill you can get advice or permission from and actual game commission officer that is employed by the state. it would be better to not, and not get in troulbe, then find out the hard way....baiting fine in PA is a stiff one

HondaRacing83
05-03-2012, 01:56 PM
true, ill give em a call tomorrow as me and my buddies plan to do some pretty serious coyote and fox hunting this weekend. thanks guys. i could shoot a bird or rabbit or something in the leg and tie it up if its legal. probably a rabbit because as of now i have the dieing rabbit predator call i used to call that coyote in monday, my buddy could bring down his electric one to

hasbeenttduner
05-04-2012, 12:58 PM

They will come into a call WFO and just about run into you if you don't pull the trigger. I shot one under the chin (chest) at 20 yards and he was WFO right at me.

250x_kyle
05-04-2012, 10:54 PM
i could shoot a bird or rabbit or something in the leg and tie it up if its legal.

birds are illegal to shoot and rabbits are not in season so same to it as well wouldnt even mention that if you do call about it. they will probably be walking threw your woods looking for you then.

HondaRacing83
05-05-2012, 09:45 AM
nope but turkey is and i couldve shot a turkey and cleaned it and gutted it and used the carcus