PDA

View Full Version : milk jug trick

fast shee
04-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Anyone have pics of this milk jug or paint cup setup? Do you run it with just the filter on the carb?How does it stay on there? First race is this weekend and was told the track is a wet one. Just want to be prepared. Thanks

skyeryder
04-29-2012, 07:38 PM
We run a Uni w/ outerwearer, the milk jug I cut the handle and pour section out, then I have a small hole drilled in the fender where it rolls to the tank if that makes sense, that I zip tie the jug to the plastic, then I start duct taping it to the plastic from bottom all the way to top and try to cover all elec's in the process. When the jug is mounted it's upside down I try to turn it to where it's blocking everything possible and also so if it does get splashed it will all run out. Hope that makes sense, will try to get pics tomorrow.
If your running the OKO stock still carbs that takes the 2" pod filter I have a hetrick racing snorkel I'll sell. We run keihen carbs that take 1 3/4" filters so never felt comfortable tightening it down that much and staying on.

skyeryder
04-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Also something that DNF'd us this past weekend that I thought I had fixed was stripping the top of the spark plug, I switched to the style of cap that you use the screw on resistor and haven't had any problems till this weekend but that plug had been on awhile the risister acutally stripped off the plug and was stuck in the cap and wouldn't stay on. So I'm going to use alittle red loctite on the thread ands and maybe some silicone on the whole thing, sucked seeing my boy so mad out there when the quad started running like crap and then eventually wouldn't go to much water in the cap. Just something to look at.

selbygirl
04-29-2012, 08:05 PM
you can get the little paint buckets in most hardware stores i think its a pint sze or quart size the plastic ones and most peaple paint them black . and some peaple use like a k&n filter with a plastick cap for a bolt , i use a strip of aluminum 3/16 thick 1 inch wide and make a bracket that bolts to the frame to the cover most hardware stores sell s the strips allso

fomospede
04-30-2012, 08:27 AM
i take a qt. ppg paint cup
and using a heat gun and razor knife cut a hole in the base of the cup a bit smaller than the mount collar on the twinair filter
then slice the cup about 1.5 inches in from the top in 2 spots slide it in to 4'' metal dryer hose extend it into the frame below the fender mount its tight there but good
also the frame runners just above the radiator i have thin shower sorround plastic taped in also cover opening on right side by radiator cap
and rubber deflector where steering stem goes in
are malossi runs unrestricted with this setup
jetting isnt affected either
also get a ngk waterproof spark plug boot
and are stator cover and waterpump cover are sealed
seems like alot
but suck in water and smoke a motor youll be pi%%ed
a bit of water equals bent rod!

ValloneRaceTeam
04-30-2012, 09:24 AM
any photos?

fomospede
04-30-2012, 11:09 AM
not for you
we live to close together!
where do you race?
xc or mx

need an email

ValloneRaceTeam
04-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by fomospede
not for you
we live to close together!
where do you race?
xc or mx

need an email

We do mx at Gravity Park in Chilton. He raced last year with Predator 90 and he likes the Apex better, handles way better but I'm not liking all of the maintenance on these little 90s! I want to get him up to a shifter soon! He will be 11 in June so the Predator is really getting too small for him and maybe only one or two years on the Apex,IMO but he has a lot to learn on the track yet.

fvallone@amada.com

Thank you!

fast shee
04-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by skyeryder
We run a Uni w/ outerwearer, the milk jug I cut the handle and pour section out, then I have a small hole drilled in the fender where it rolls to the tank if that makes sense, that I zip tie the jug to the plastic, then I start duct taping it to the plastic from bottom all the way to top and try to cover all elec's in the process. When the jug is mounted it's upside down I try to turn it to where it's blocking everything possible and also so if it does get splashed it will all run out. Hope that makes sense, will try to get pics tomorrow.
If your running the OKO stock still carbs that takes the 2" pod filter I have a hetrick racing snorkel I'll sell. We run keihen carbs that take 1 3/4" filters so never felt comfortable tightening it down that much and staying on.
I kick my self for not buying one of those hetrick setups from fomospede earlier so will have to do it. Question is can you still run it with a stick style steering stabilizer in place? And do you have any pics of your snorkle setup you can text or email if it is too much of a pain to put up here. I have searched over and over and have not found any pics of the milk jugs or paint cups. No one up here to copy off of.

fast shee
04-30-2012, 06:01 PM
fomospede- you have any pics you can send me or post up. Would be really helpful for myself and other newby owners. Just hate to see the disappointment on my sons face if he drowns out this weekend first run out. Thanks guys for the responses. Just need to figure which one will work best. It does still have the oko 24 carb with a uni pod on it with no outerwear.

skyeryder
04-30-2012, 08:05 PM
will do tomorrow, i don't have a stick style stab so can't answer that but I would think so

fomospede
05-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by fast shee
I kick my self for not buying one of those hetrick setups from fomospede earlier so will have to do it. Question is can you still run it with a stick style steering stabilizer in place? And do you have any pics of your snorkle setup you can text or email if it is too much of a pain to put up here. I have searched over and over and have not found any pics of the milk jugs or paint cups. No one up here to copy off of.
the hetrick will choke it up a bit and are finicky with jetting

i will take a picture and see if my wife can crop and download

fast shee
05-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Any pics yet? I am quickly running out of time.

fomospede
05-02-2012, 02:15 AM
fast shee i need a number or email

fast shee
05-02-2012, 05:00 AM
pm d you.

skyeryder
05-03-2012, 10:17 AM
pic of cut milk jug, if you look closely you can see the drilled hole

skyeryder
05-03-2012, 10:19 AM
where it mounted, then take duct from back side of fender all the up across jug and to top of fender and layer it over itself to create a curtain

skyeryder
05-03-2012, 10:22 AM
looking in from carb side it's completely shielded besides on the rider side so I still get plenty of air, you can see the hole drilled in the fender for extra support that's where I zip tie the jug to fender to help support and hold while I duct tape.

after posting that pic it's alittle decieving that jug is coming all the way down and protecting the bottom also

skyeryder
05-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Hetrick intake, like said before you do have to play with your jetting. I hope my rider is racing xc on a raptor 125 next year so don't think we need it anymore

Woodsrunner
05-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Thanks for sharing!

tyler70t
05-04-2012, 04:43 PM
If you haven't made your paint can yet just go get some 6 inch flexible dryer vent, that's all we ever used.......& a bunch of zip ties.

fast shee
05-06-2012, 05:00 AM
So I did the flex pipe mod and all was great. Thanks for the help guys. Pulled out a 2nd place for the race and it was a mud bath out there.