PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get Herrmann's?

MX26
03-05-2003, 10:50 AM
Just wondering where the best place to get a set of Hermann a-arm's are.

Also, for an axle.. LSR or RPM?

Extremeracer167
03-05-2003, 10:58 AM
Herrmann doesnt sell his chassis products to bike shops. U have to go through him or Powerline ATV i believe. Thats his partners shop. PM jlhughes750 i think thats his name. he will help you.

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-05-2003, 11:31 AM
About the axle go with RPM...

MX26
03-05-2003, 11:37 AM
I wasn't aware that Hermann didn't sell to shops. I wonder what his reasoning behind this is???

On the axle.. I've got an LSR +4 on my 250R and I really like it. It's really easy to adjust and I've dogged the he!! out of it and had no problems. What is a good price for an RPM?

Thanks for the replies

A4StrokeGuy
03-05-2003, 11:44 AM
I purchased my Herrmann's through brad himself, i thought at one time he was talking about getting a distribution thing going with other dealers but apparently that never happend:confused:
I recommend the a-arms but just don't over grease the ball joints, i over greased mine and i rode and they exploded! oh yeah go with RPM

MX26
03-05-2003, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the info A4StrokeGuy. Do you have any reason why they exploded? Or an explination? I've never heard of that happening before.

What makes RPM better than an LSR?

NacsRacing400
03-05-2003, 04:29 PM
Ya definatly go rpm, ive had rpm and lonestar axles, the rpm is thicker where-as lonestar tapers down. Brad was talking about selling to distributers but he probly wouldnt be able to keep up with the demand for them if he did that. Plus he said that people were selling a-arms that were so called herrmann a-arms and they were cheap rip offs that someone made in there shed out back. Go to herrmannracing.com and give him a call. My name is jim artman, brad gave me such a good deal i am trying to refer as many people as possible to him so mention my name if you want. You wont regret going with his a-arms.

MX26
03-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Nacs, Thanks for the reply. Initially I was going for Housers, but something changed the way I was thinking. I guess so many people have Houser's now that I'm getting out of the main-stream. I love the design of Hermann's. I have also seen Hermann products on eBay.. I guess Brad used that to sell them?

Thanks for the comment on the axle too. My LSR holds up well, but I was looking to get away from their prices.

NacsRacing400
03-06-2003, 08:10 AM
Im probly going to get bashed by someone but i have had all houser products on my last quad which was a 400ex including there swing arms and lt a-arms. i paid more for the housers and when i put them side by side i like the attention to detail better on the herrmanns. Housers are a great product too but why pay more for something that i can honestly say is no better. Heres a picture of a friends herrmann regular travel a-arms, they are the 400ex style, the ball joints are massive.

NacsRacing400
03-06-2003, 08:26 AM
well the pictures are to large to post, can anyone tell me how to resize.

MX26
03-06-2003, 11:09 AM
Are they caster adjustable too? Caster isn't a big deal to me.. I'll probably get it evened out with very little, then leave it alone, but I like to have a little adjustability. If so, how do you do it? Lonestars was simple.

NacsRacing400
03-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Caster is this way \ / and camber is this way / \ . You can adjust the camber by screwing the top balljoint in or out. All a-arms are caster adjustable, you can adjust that through you tie rods. Correct me if im wrong

426exMx
03-06-2003, 02:13 PM
there is two places or than herrman to get his stuff in the states. contact scott doughty @ full throttle mx.com and he will hook you up. i just got herrman long travel a-arms and 1 1/4 swingarm and they are sweeeet!:macho

Crypted1
03-06-2003, 04:11 PM
426exmx is right. I am a Herrmann dealer for all chassis stuff except frames. I also have all the billit herrmann stuff too. there are currently only two Herrmann dealers in the country for chassis stuff. ;)

MX26
03-06-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacing400
Caster is this way \ / and camber is this way / \ . You can adjust the camber by screwing the top balljoint in or out. All a-arms are caster adjustable, you can adjust that through you tie rods. Correct me if im wrong

You're wrong. Camber is the degree measure of the tires to the ground. So, using your illustrations, camber is / \, and \ /. Caster is the relationship of your ball joints on a vertical plane. Positive caster makes your front end hold it's line better, and more stable at high speed. Negative camber makes your front end turn quicker and less stable at high speed.

Scott Doughty... Wouldn't happen to be any relation to Shane Doughty from Tx?

Crypted1
03-06-2003, 06:54 PM
Scott Doughty... Wouldn't happen to be any relation to Shane Doughty from Tx?

No I don't think so..:confused:

MX26
03-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Oh.. Just a thought. The "Dough-Boy" is a top Tx Pro 125 rider :)

Dave400ex
03-06-2003, 07:23 PM
Yep I tried posting yesterday that Scott carried Herrmann but the dang forum was messed up. Scott should be able to hook you up.

Scott you coming to the Badlands March 28th and 29th?

Crypted1
03-06-2003, 08:30 PM
I don't know yet. I still am completly tore down and waiting on some new stuff.:grr :grr I wish the big brown truck would hurry and get here!

MX26
03-06-2003, 08:43 PM
Big brown truck? Ahh, I love my UPS driver. Since I've started a new job and we do UPS deliveries, I get to see Kurt about an hour earlier. It's great.

I need a shop sponsor :(

jlhughes750
03-07-2003, 11:08 AM
MX 26 is right on with his caster camber explenation!!!!

My name is Jason Hughes i've been working with (not for)Herrmann racing for several years!!! u can buy direct from Herrmann himself, or c ontact me at 267-374-0500 (powerline atv).

I promote Herrmann products in the GNCC series as well as District 6 (PA state Harescrambles). GNCC #12 Rob Hertz rides a Powerline prepped Herrmann chassis in all the GNCC's. we use the old reliable R motor in our chassis. He finished 5th in Pro down at the opener last weekend in Fla. I've tested all of the Herrmann products in our gruleing D6 and GNCC series's and they are top notch. We are still testing with our GNCC chassis but the MX chassis is ready to go, any motor u want!!!!!!

We are located in eastern PA. My shop is less than 10 miles from Herrmann racings shop in Pennsburg Pa.

Like i said u can buy direct from Herrmannracing.com, where i come in is in the testing and setup end. setting up chassis,frt. ends, suspension etc....... i have over 10 years race experience in the atv field and partnering up Herrmann was a great deal.

Dave400ex
03-07-2003, 01:59 PM
Yeah I know how you feel the Big Brown Truck finally dropped off my Nac's billet parts. Hopefully you can make it...

1badcrf
03-09-2003, 01:55 AM
Talked with Brad today for about 45 min... Nice guy and he is setting me up with my whole Crf basicly besides the engine:D

KandK952
03-09-2003, 10:56 AM
how do you adjust caster? I have always heard how a-arms are caster adjustable but never knew what it was.

MX26
03-09-2003, 01:40 PM
Well I'm not so sure on other brands of a-arms, but on my Lonestars the mounting brackets had a pivoting joint(ball joint type) to do it. I just evened them up and forgot about it. As far as I'm concerned, for the tracks/competition I was doing, a stock caster setting was plenty good enough for me.

MX26
03-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Yeah I know how you feel the Big Brown Truck finally dropped off my Nac's billet parts. Hopefully you can make it...

Everything show up ok? Man.. I'm suffering from UPSophobia or something. I'll have to order a few spare parts for my R just to get my UPS fix.:p

Dave400ex
03-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Yeah it's here and already put on. I think our UPS guy is getting sick of coming here all the time... lol

MX26
03-10-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Yeah it's here and already put on. I think our UPS guy is getting sick of coming here all the time... lol

I wish I had your problem

:confused2

Dave400ex
03-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Well my Brother and Dad are always getting crap too so they come a lot. Heck our Fed Ex guy used to talk to us forever. Some of the guys can be jerks though...

boogiechile
03-12-2003, 01:31 PM
KandK852,

In order to adjust caster the a arms need to have rod ends (heim joints) on the a arms where they bolt to the frame. They are usually only used on the upper a arms but some like Walsh use them on both upper and lower. By extending one more than the other you can make the ball joint move forward or backward. If you are adjusting on the upper a arm you can shorten the back rod end or lengthen the frt (or both) to move the ball joint back toward the rear. This would give more positive caster, moving the upper ball joint to the frt would give more neg caster. Pos caster will hold a line better and give better stabilty at speed, while neg caster will quicken the steering. A good all around setting for mx is 3.5 to 4 degrees positive.

Fibe Industries
03-12-2003, 08:22 PM
I have told you 15 times - No Advertising! - Ben

MX26
03-13-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Fibe Industries
I have told you 15 times - No Advertising! - Ben

Ban him?