PDA

View Full Version : new owner of z400, any sugestions ???

tri5ron
04-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi all,
I have a good buddy who came home yesterday with a very clean, Bone Stock, '06 Z400. This is a bike for his teenage sister who is an experienced, but non aggressive TRAIL rider.
She will not be jumping tabletops, riding MX tracks, or blasting through to whoops at top speed.
She will only be doing recreational trail riding in the local deserts, mountains.
This will be a perfect machine for her, and will have all the more power, (with stock engine internals), she needs.

So,... my questions are,...
It seems I remember there is a couple of very minor maintenance or tuning issues on the Z400.

(I am a old 400EX rider, and don't know much about the Z400's, other than they are liquid cooled).

He is not looking to pump up the power at all, and is only interested in getting it tuned and dialed in best as possible with a STOCK PISTON , CAM , EXHAUST.

He will probably be putting a new UNI or Twinair filter on it, naturally do some jetting, and that's probably about all.

It does have nerf bars on it.

any suggestions, or experienced insight on these machines will be greatly appreciated.
I seem to remember hearing something about them being kind of finicky in the carb adjustments ?

any other suggestions ?

I have told him that probably the only things she will need, or benefit from,... would be a steering stabilizer,
(Does CCP make one for these machines ?),...

and possibly a HID conversion on the headlights.

Other than that, it will be all the more bike/power she will ever need.
So what are any little characteristic issues, flaws, or points of interest to be aware of ?
Any tuning or jetting suggestions ?
Any things to look for ? watch for ? or be aware of, specific to the Z400 ?
Other than basic common sense maintenance ?

Thanks for any suggestions, and insight you have to offer on these machines.

erik420
04-29-2012, 11:08 AM
A buddy I ride with has an 06 kfx400 which is the same quad. Nice bikes. Issues I have seen is the chain needs constant adjustment. Not sure if it is a common problem but it is on his. Also his keeps killing the battery if you dont start it in a few weeks. A new battery and it did the same thing. Must have a draw somewhere. I am not an expert by any means, just what I have seen one one bike. I hope this helps.

Erik

tri5ron
04-29-2012, 11:20 AM
I know a couple of things on the 400EX's, that are sub-par is the front shocks, and the parking brake adjustments.
Most 400EX guys just take the P-brake off, and install a block-off plate.
Change the front shocks for some upgraded shocks, and we're basically good to go.

is there anything like that to know, on the Z400's ?
(I know the Z400 already has adjustable front shocks).

Thanks.

dxcody
04-29-2012, 11:40 AM
As mentioned above, the chains are hard to keep adjusted on ALL of them.

Just like an EX the timing chain is known for stretching and the intake valves are highly known to cup.

Everyone reccomends switching to a stainless steel set of intake valves, as the stock ones are basically junk, and cup bad, knocking the valves out of adjustment.

No other flaws really though, that i am aware of, or that i had with my Z400.

Just a couple of thoughts.

yellowzo3
05-02-2012, 09:41 AM
The Z400 is a great bike and it sounds like you guys made the right choice for her. I had mine for years and we got it when it first came out in 2003... The only problems I had were not starting it enough resulting in the battery dying as well as a stripped out drain bolt in the oil tank (which seems to be fairly common).

I can't comment on the parking brake as I removed mine and put on a block off plate, like many others as well as yourself.

The early model years had problems with the front shock mounts on the frame cracking... I'm not 100% sure if that was solved by '05 so that's something to keep an eye on. I do believe the shocks on the '05's were the upgraded versions with the reservoirs so thats a plus. You can always get the front shocks revalved specific to her. Lots of guys run revalved shocks and like them... they'd probably be more than enough for her.

You guys already have a set of nerfs on it so thats good... Any other mods you want to do are really up to you... It's a good bike as is for the casual rider. Maybe switch the tires for something more woods ready and get a good set of skidplates. Oh and if it doesn't have one already, invest in a good bumper. The stock ones are TINY.