PDA

View Full Version : ...Cracked Frame...

Rohr397
04-28-2012, 11:57 PM
I have made the discovery that my frame is potentially cracked...

Cue the music
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx5GwULPU90)

I would get pics but it's a hassle. So instead I'll explain it. There's a perfectly straight crack in the powder coating all of the way around the frame about 2-3 inches from the joint at the top rear corner of right side of frame, near where the subframe mounts up. I would assume that this is a crack, but with the weather around here I don't dare sand the powder coating off to find out, as that would result in a rusty mess.

Now to make matters more interesting, it's VERY apparent that whatever this is, it's been that way for a long time. It's hard to explain, but it's obvious it's aged and been this way for ohhh 5+ years or so. Again I couldn't really put it into words I just can by looking at other rusty areas of the frame. IF this is the case which I am 99% sure it is, that would mean it's been ridden on like this for quite some time now including a few A class races. I've also ridden on it like this for quite some time and haven't had any abnormal things occur.

Everything seems solid and all, and I really can't go buy another frame right now. Anyone maybe have an example of a cracked frame that I could compare to mine? Or maybe a similar situation?

PS I am planning to do a tear down this winter so if I can hold out for the summer that'd be the ideal situation.

whyzee
04-29-2012, 05:18 AM
A picture is worth a thousand words.

JOHNDOE83
04-29-2012, 09:21 AM
As long as you have some spray paint or even some silicone spray, you can sand it to bare metal and wont have a rusty mess. just make sure you spray it afterwards, you could even use clear coat spray paint.

Before you get to worried I would sand it off and check, best case scenario its just a crack in the paint from a minor frame tweak. Worst case scenario it needs lil a weld.

whyzee
04-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
As long as you have some spray paint or even some silicone spray, you can sand it to bare metal and wont have a rusty mess. just make sure you spray it afterwards, you could even use clear coat spray paint.

Before you get to worried I would sand it off and check, best case scenario its just a crack in the paint from a minor frame tweak. Worst case scenario it needs lil a weld.

^^ x2

Rohr397
04-29-2012, 11:13 AM
alright I think I'll go ahead and do that, I'll definitely apply the clear coat heavily. As long as it holds up for the rest of the year that's all I care.