PDA

View Full Version : To head stay or not?

bigmatt61
04-27-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm having some clearance issues with an IMS 4 gallon tank the petcock and my head stay on my Laeger. Where it comes out of the tank and bends 90 degrees is hitting on top of the head stay and not allowing the mounting tabs and bolt holes to line up.
I've thought of massaging the tank or removing the head stay mount.
Question: With a CT 350 as my power supply, should I run the head stay?

Ruf Racing
04-28-2012, 05:55 AM
You should use the head stay mount, for frame support. I don't bolt the head to the support bracket. Let that float, to reduce the stress on the head. ;)

Lasher
04-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Try switching to the crf 450 tank to fuel line mount.

I had to use this style for my son's Walsh CRF hybrid. It is shorter since it only has one line coming out, plus it is at a different angle.

Pretty sure if you will have to use the crf petcock since it only has one line but you will loose reserve option.

wes350x
04-28-2012, 08:18 PM
I originally thought about running the head stay on my new sphynx but Matt Shearer told me not to because it causes base gaskets to leak. Makes sense to me so I did without. Everyone has their own opinion but I chose his since he built my motor... All my other bikes did fine with the head stay off.

Grande Huevos
04-29-2012, 11:33 AM
I have never ran a head stay on any of my 3 250Rs 265, 310, and 330 and am yet to have any problems what so ever.

Motofool250r
04-29-2012, 12:09 PM
the best consensus has been to run the head stay bolted to frame and not to the cylinder head for frame support not cylinder support.

but i have 4 frames and no head stays

wilkin250r
05-01-2012, 03:39 PM
I, too, have heard of the head stay causing head and base gasket problems.

But I've also heard the opposite, I've known people to have frame problems running without the head stay.

The rule of thumb I usually suggest to people is to decide which is more important. If you're a motocross racer, you're motor is built, but it's not 350cc or more, you're not pushing the limits of the motor. However, you probably ARE pushing the limits of your frame, I'd say run the head stay for as much strength and support you can get.

However, if you're a drag racer, you ARE pushing the limits of your motor, but not your frame. At that point, get rid of the head stay, keep that stress off the motor.