PDA

View Full Version : AV gas or Race fuel?

PrideRider
04-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Alright...I have 11:1 high compression piston in my 400 and i have been debating on running av gas in it since i cant buy race fuel anywhere close to me. The only thing i dont like about what i have read about this av gas is it is 100LL (low Lead) and might have more carbon build up than i want. On the other hand a friend of mine has a 69 Stingray with 13:1 427 and he runs it. If anyone have any information on this av gas feel free to add your 2 cents...thanks!

Stickman400
04-27-2012, 11:02 AM
It's been discussed on here before. I can't remember where the thread is but I'm pretty sure they said it was safe to use.

PrideRider
04-27-2012, 02:23 PM
yea i been reading about it and as far as i can tell i shouldnt have too many problems with running it but i just wanted to know what anyone else thinks about it? I know tht your not suppose to run it in anything but a airplane or you can be fined but if it makes my 400 run good who cares right!!! might mix it with some premium

ish416
04-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Just make sure you get 100ll without de-icer otherwise your engine will be kaput.

AV fuel is not supposed to be run in street legal vehicles. Sorta like off-road diesel is not taxed the same as on-road diesel. So, you are not breaking any laws since your EX is not street legal.

Btw, you are just wasting your money running anything but premium on an 11:1 engine without any timing advance and will honestly probably make less power than someone running premium.

KKiowaTJ
04-27-2012, 07:14 PM
I have ran it in the past in quads and bikes. Its a dry fuel made for high altitudes so no moisture can occur. When i used it we added a oil lubricant so it didn't burn up the motor. Marvels mystery oil works and I'm pretty sure there are others that can be used as well. Good luck either way

slightlybent47
04-30-2012, 06:11 PM
It won’t make it any faster and is not necessary for your application. 93 octane is all you need. Save your money for things you really need.

Wheelie
04-30-2012, 07:04 PM
I ran 100LL in my quad for several years, never had an issue. My brother runs it in his Quadzilla--never had a problem in over 3 years.

On a side note, I don't know if it was a placebo effect, but race gas seemed to perform slightly better than AV gas.

breastman569
05-03-2012, 09:52 PM
I ran av gas for years in my 250r's and I never had a problem with the engines. The only thing I found is that when running it I was going through petcock gaskets every season. As soon as I switched over to 100 race I have yet to have that problem and I'm still using the same caster 927 so I know it's not my premix. As far as performance I couldn't see a difference however my av gas kept longer than race when mixed. I hope this helps.