PDA

View Full Version : i went swimming with my atv :((

400exjoker
04-27-2012, 12:20 AM
well yesterday i was out riding on my 400ex and i stumbled upon a small leftover part of the river well i was in the middle of the river where it was dry and didn't want to turn around so i tried to make the side of the hill a berm(DUMB IDEA) well that didn't work it was to steep and i came at it in the wrong angle, well long story short i rolled my ATV into the water which was about waist deep (just enough that the wheels where barely over the water and the rest was under water)

after this happened i walked about 2 miles back to my house and pulled her back home pulled the plug and got the water out of there and out from the pipe and she fired right up... knowing i got water in the oil from the cream colored oil i got from the dipstick i didn't let her run for long instead i parked her till today..

so today i changed the oil 2 times along with filters, cleaned the filter,carb, and gas-tank out then let her idle there for a bit with the gas tank temporarily hooked up then checked the oil and it looks pretty clean and not like something you put in your coffee.. then...

well i had all the plastics off might as well adjust the valves and well i take the cap off one of the intake valves and find that it was way over torqued so i get done and go to put it back on and son of a #$%#$ the threads snap off the cap when i put very very little force, I'm talking like if i was putting a jet in kind of force, i mean very minimum i took what was broke out (the threads that were threaded in) with my finger and it came right out with little effort so i need one of those now.. (last time any one else does my valves)

hopefully the local shop has one of these caps...

now that im done with my rambling.. sorry I'm a bit pissed off right now due to my stupidity,

i would like to know if there is anything else that i need to do or have missed i may have left some things out that ive already done but anything you guys can help out on would be very appreciated

Stickman400
04-27-2012, 10:22 AM
If you cleaned the air filter aswell then I'd say you hit all the bases. Only other thing is that your packing in your exhaust is gonna be all soggy until it dries out, and then it may just disintegrate and get blown out. Not a big deal but you may check after you ride it for awhile to make sure you still have some in there.

400exjoker
04-27-2012, 01:29 PM
the pipe is fairely new (month and a half at most) do u think it would still disintegrate?

Stickman400
04-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Well it doesn't matter how new the pipe is. It's filled with fiberglass, and if that gets wet, then dries out and gets hot it's just gunna fall apart, or turn into a lump. I'd just keep an eye on it to see what it does, you may get lucky.

400exjoker
04-28-2012, 02:00 AM
i hope i get lucky, thanks for the heads up man

Otis.Leo
05-01-2012, 06:45 AM
Fiberglass is a goofy thing.. Like Stick said you might get lucky. If it is dried with high heat then chances are it will crack up and blow out of your tailpipe. If i were you i would take the pipe off and put it in a gas oven if you have access to one... most grandparents have one.. the steady heat from the pilot light should dry it out nicely... steady drying is the key to fiberglass.. not to hot and not just air dried outside... be sure to leave the oven door cracked a little to let moisture out!!