PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid build for the beginner.

Baxter
04-25-2012, 05:57 PM
I have read and seen what you guy's have built over the years and amazed at what you have done.
I am about to buy my first TIG welder and have a go at building small parts at first then building my dream quad.
This will be my first time building what I want, using a TIG welder and chromoly.
If it's ok with admin to let me post this , then can you give some tips on how to go about this.
I am starting from scratch, no fancy pipe bender or stuff like that.
Any help would be great.
Thank you Lee in the UK.

laeger400
04-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Just take your time. You can't learn this overnight and some people never figure it out.

Jerry

LT250RMan
04-25-2012, 07:31 PM
I would suggest getting a pipe bender, also start to lean how to set up tabs and how to make jig's.

laeger400
04-25-2012, 08:30 PM
If you get all the equipment that you need you will have about $15-20,000 in vested and that's getting some stuff used. I would learn the basics first

audioworks04
04-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Going to be pretty hard to do with out a tubing bender with out affecting the structural strength of the metal. If your going to spend all the time building a great bike, might as-well do it right. I would start with modifying an existing frame to more so fit your needs. You will learn alot in the process that will help you on your next build. People dont just pick up a tig and go about building a one off frame. Its not like a mig, it is an art. Best of luck, keep us updated.

fast507
04-26-2012, 03:01 AM
I'm a professional welder and fabricator by trade. My best advice is to attend a basic welding class at your local vocational school. They are inexpensive and very thorough. Don't go at it without having knowledge. Your life could potentially hang on those welds. Be sure to know how to recognize a bad or good weld once you do it. And... Start with Mild Carbon Steel. Chro-Mo is very difficult to work with and needs to be pre-heated to get a proper weld. Don't try to weld anything heavier than 3/16with a 110v welder.

Baxter
04-26-2012, 05:59 AM
Thanks for all the advice, this is the kind I wanted.
I relize this is not something I am going to pick up overnight and for a beginner getting the basics right is the key. I'll look into night classes at the local college to start with before buying anything.

The first post may have sounded like I was in a rush to start ,I am not and see this as a long term project.Could be years before having the confidence to build a frame and use it.
I race a TRX700xx in most kinds of racing and getting parts needed are sometimes not availible which is quite understandiable as they are not that popular and the parts I need would only sell in single figures of one or two pieces.

Thank you again for the good friendly advice , I didn't know how this post would be answered and now I know I posted it on the right forum.

Baxter
04-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Quick Question,
What grade of steel does Honda use in the frame and a arms ?
Fast507 mentioned mild carbon steel, would that be something like 1020 ?
I need a pair of upper a arms building for the rear of the 700xx desperately and found a guy that would weld them ,if I built the pieces for him to weld.
He's never done 4130 nor does he want to try , he googled it.