PDA

View Full Version : Media blasting

IRISH-RACER-14
04-25-2012, 05:22 PM
i wanna learn some stuff on blasting, what is media blasting? how is it different to sand or soda blasting? is media the best for alloy wheels and aluminium? any help appreciated

sexysilverado45
04-25-2012, 06:11 PM
its all about b17 stripper. eff media blasting. I can never get my 165 dollar hunk of metal to work right. I have 2 air dryers a huge air compressor and still nothing but 15 seconds of blast then its time to unclogg it. b17 stripper will take powder coat off in 4 to 6 minutes and all you have to do is let it set.

Tommy Warren
04-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by sexysilverado45
its all about b17 stripper. eff media blasting. I can never get my 165 dollar hunk of metal to work right. I have 2 air dryers a huge air compressor and still nothing but 15 seconds of blast then its time to unclogg it. b17 stripper will take powder coat off in 4 to 6 minutes and all you have to do is let it set.

how does the bare metal react after using the stripper? does it flash rust or do you have to physically wipe the PC off?

audioworks04
04-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Even after stripped, you will still need to blast the metal before pc, you dont just wipe down something before you paint it, you must prep the surface if you expect it to be long lasting. Blasting does more than just remove coating, it also cleans the metal and give it some "grit" for the powder to hold on to. Generally speaking black oxide sand is a great media to blast with. With aluminum you need to be careful because it is possible to destroy the material, depending on the thickness of the metal. If you are going to powder it anyways, most powders will fill in the small roughness left by the sand. One thin metals especially thin aluminum or very soft metals glass beads or soda is necessary. Hope this helps.

sexysilverado45
04-25-2012, 10:01 PM
It just peels off in the chemical. It is true it needs to be roughed up a bit but still i would go threw the trouble of a blaster. I just use a wire wheel and sand paper for those small areas. My blasting experience has been terrible.