PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Protection

redonkulousruntsracing
04-25-2012, 08:55 AM
My sons quad has a new RT70 engine in it after him running a 50 for the last 4 years. We never broke a transmission until 2 weeks ago at out NEATV debut at Walden MX where we broke 3 sets of trans gears. In practice the slipper sprocket let loose after a lap. So rather than having that happen again, I put on a solid front sprocket. Went out for practice and broke the trans before he got to the first corner. And the same happened in moto 1 and moto 2. Its not the way he rides, because he didnt even get to a jump before he broke the gears, and when we broke the 2nd and 3rd time it also took out the trans cover. I found that the needle bearing was shot and it stretched the case also. I then replaced every bearing and gear, put a new cover on and "tightened up" the needle bearing area and it held together last weekend.
My question is what do people use to protect the tranny? As of now I have no slipper anything in there and intend on keeping it that way. My son has learned what happens if he doesnt lift while airborn and has gotten that technique down. Others I have spoken to, also do not run any slipper items and they can make the tranny live. I have talked to some who have tried a slipper clutch, and i havent found anyone who likes them and/or continues to use one. So this weekend instead of breaking the quad, my boy breaks himself!! If any one has some spare trans gears, trans covers and solid 19&20 tooth sprockets for sale, shoot me a PM. Looks like we have 4-6 weeks for me to gather up some spare parts.

#404's Dad
04-25-2012, 09:16 AM
If you want your trans to live get a Slipper Clutch and a Good Quality Needle Bearing imho.

nastynotchback1
04-25-2012, 09:19 AM
we use a slipper sprocket and a DC transmission cover.Thats it.If you keep riding with no slipper something then you better buy alot of stock in trans gears.I also taught my son to not land on the throttle and he broke gears also till i installed a slipper sprocket.

redonkulousruntsracing
04-25-2012, 09:28 AM
We always used a slipper sprocket in the past, but I cant get one to last thru a moto now with this new engine. I have tried all new sprocket and pads torqued up to 125 ft lbs and it burns up around lap 3. I am using the long needle bearing in the trans so I know thats taken care of.
I havent found anyone who runs or likes the slipper clutch. I was told to get a good set of e-ton gears nad that would fix our gear breaking problem.

#404's Dad
04-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by redonkulousruntsracing

I havent found anyone who runs or likes the slipper clutch.

Slipper Clutches are everywhere, where are you racing?

I see you have a Business in selling Mini Quad Parts, surely you should know you need a Slipper of some sort on any fast CVT mini quad?

Slipper Sprockets just seem to fail and fail, Gears alone won't fix the issue on a fast quad.

dewutfan
04-25-2012, 09:55 AM
I have run both and i can tell you what i have found... knock on wood lol i ran slipper spockets and had nothing but problems.. i will say that the drr is alot better then apex brand.... but we have been running slipper clutch and not had the first problem with it .. alot of it is the way you set it up i believe ... but that just my 2 cents... but like what must are telling you .. you need to run one or the other or have lots of tranny parts ready for use...

redonkulousruntsracing
04-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Like I said, we started NEATV, have run a few nationals and our local District 3 races. I have seen lots of slipper clutches on shelves form people who tried them and didnt like them, and like I said, the slipper sprocket was good enough for our 50 engines. All the people I know locally just ran good (e-ton)gears with out any slipper sprockets/clutches. I know Paul Marra made a slipper sprocket that was supposed to be really good, but I have never seen one or spoke to someone who used one.

nastynotchback1
04-25-2012, 12:03 PM
I have broke a many of e-ton gears.I run the stock drr slipper with the r/t engine and have had no problems with it.120+pds before every motor or practice round and let him go.It has been loose only one time in a year and still has 1 year old disk in it.

thequadfather+2
04-25-2012, 12:16 PM
We run 2 built 2-fast motors and tried to run slipper sprockets...I torqued them to 120 but still couldnt get more than a couple laps out of them. I tried everything, new sproket, new disc, new nut....no luck. I burned up 4 brand new disc and couldnt finish a race. I replaced it with a solid sprocket and added the slipper clutch and no problems since then. Now I run a slipper clutch on both quads. In 90 cvt and 90 auto jr/sr at the nats dang near everyone runs them.

redonkulousruntsracing
04-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Well maybe I will have to try a slipper clutch.

edwardsp&b
04-25-2012, 02:25 PM
I wasnt a fan of the slipper clutch till I used it. Now I kinda like it! No problems here! And my kid ALWAYS lands on the gas, not one problem yet. ( I hope I didnt jinx myself)LOL
Bryan

selbygirl
04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
we have ran slipper sprockets for years the 19 tooth drr , never had problems , i make the chain real loose , and make the tenshiner do all the work , and i dont use chain oil we use a silicon or sc-1 spray to lubercate the chain , and check the needle bearing ever so often and make shore the tranny seal isant leaking oil that will burn a slipper pad up ,, and teach your kids not to land on the gas exspcealy threw the woop sections, i seen a lot of trannys blow with the slipper sprocket and slipper clutch . and if you do blow a tranny dave carter has a nice set up with bigger bearings and a sleeve but you have to send it to him , so he can machine it in

Logan #34's Dad
04-25-2012, 03:36 PM
When your engine starts making power and your kids really starts to push it a slipper sprocket will NOT work. They will fail.
I believe its because the threads on the sprocket shaft are regular thread instead of left handed threads. The sprocket nut loosens little by little when they land while accelerating. If you don't believe me, mark the shaft and nut and watch. So, when the nut backs off the sprocket begins to slip more and more until it loosens enough to let the sprocket slip so much it burns the pads and then fails.
I've got one shaft left that I changed over to left thread that I never got a chance to try because we went to the slipper clutch.

allauto1
04-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Had same problem last year, on 70rt, swapped to slipper clutch, no more problems at all.

edwardsp&b
04-26-2012, 08:27 AM
No offense mr Selby, but if you let off the gas in the whoops at Nats right now, you will be at the back of the pack. To stay up front you better be in the gas everywhere.
Bryan

#404's Dad
04-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by edwardsp&b
No offense mr Selby, but if you let off the gas in the whoops at Nats right now, you will be at the back of the pack. To stay up front you better be in the gas everywhere.
Bryan

Yep

djdfairchild
04-26-2012, 12:24 PM
SLIPPER CLUTCH IS THE ONLY WAY.
make sure you get a good one, i have had DC and didn't like it, i now have one from fierce powersports and love it, call corey get one from him, by far the best design, although they all are close his are better made.

selbygirl
04-27-2012, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by edwardsp&b
Bryan none taken . if broden held the gas wide open in the woops he would probably blow a motor . he has his jumping down to a sciance , like a rev liminter plus my boy is at the point its not worth a 30 doller throphey , he would rather save the bike , plus a lot of the woops around here are big . you will see if you guys are going butts creek in may

skyeryder
04-27-2012, 05:24 AM
Tell those guys you know that have them on the shelves I'll take em' slipper clutches that is...

redonkulousruntsracing
04-27-2012, 05:37 AM
I have a friend who has a new one in the shelf, bought it ran a Moto with it fought with it an afternoon and there it sets. I'm gonna see if I can give it a try...

#404's Dad
04-27-2012, 08:39 AM
I have a friend who has a new one in the shelf, bought it ran a Moto with it fought with it an afternoon and there it sets. I'm gonna see if I can give it a try...

There is absolutely nothing to "fight" with on a slipper clutch, assemble it, tighten it down and go, takes less than a minute longer to install than a regular drum. Not sure what what the hell they are fighting with?

redonkulousruntsracing
04-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Had a old clutch cover that wasnt big enough to fit the slipper and the overange pulley in there.

djdfairchild
04-27-2012, 09:25 AM
have to use a 90cc cover

#404's Dad
04-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Had a old clutch cover that wasnt big enough to fit the slipper and the overange pulley in there.

Well that's not an issue of the slipper clutch, that's his error for not using the correct parts.

redonkulousruntsracing
04-27-2012, 10:17 AM
It was an old 90 cover. On my 70, I have an old polaris 90 cover that I had to grind the crap out of to make the overange fit.
404- thanks for the input, sounds like your a big fan of the slipper clutch.
That is why I put this post on here to see what others have tried and liked. Locally and from those I met at New England races, most guys run solid front sprockets and no slipper clutch, and I have seen 120 lb kids beat the snot out of their quads of a whole season and have no transmission problems. I have too much invested in my cases to have one get broken, so I think I will try a slipper clutch. I am pretty sure that I will have to get a different clutch cover, because like I said , the overange barely fits, so I prolly will get a newer style cover that is deeper to fit the clutch and rear pulley. I still have 4-6 weeks to get parts tracked down.

djdfairchild
04-27-2012, 10:29 AM
some guys do have to run a spacer, i never have. i don't use a gasket or anything and have never hit, but that may change depending on who's slipper clutch. if the splind hub on the one your using is welded and has 2 standups on it that have to line up with the cup for the washer, then contact 404'sdad and try to get one of his, a much better design.

#404's Dad
04-27-2012, 10:31 AM
It was an old 90 cover. On my 70, I have an old polaris 90 cover that I had to grind the crap out of to make the overange fit.
404- thanks for the input, sounds like your a big fan of the slipper clutch.
That is why I put this post on here to see what others have tried and liked. Locally and from those I met at New England races, most guys run solid front sprockets and no slipper clutch, and I have seen 120 lb kids beat the snot out of their quads of a whole season and have no transmission problems. I have too much invested in my cases to have one get broken, so I think I will try a slipper clutch.

I am a Big Fan of Finishing Races and if the Slipper Clutch is whats needed to do that than I guess I am a Big Fan of them.

On lower powered Quads they will live w/o Slippers, With slower Riders they will live w/o Slippers, On real loose Sand Tracks they will usually live BUT Fast Quads with Fast Riders on Quality Tracks they usually will Not live, Just facts.

I think most anyone that takes this sport serious has too much invested in their cases thus why we use Slipper Clutches in most cases.

We broke a tranny at a TT National and busted the cases I then bought a very expensive Slipper Clutch and was less than happy with its design and fitment and cost so I redesigned it and have been running the same exact one on my son's Quad from 2008 and I have more than 100 out there on other quads with no issues or complaints.

Best thing you can do is order a Max RPM Slipper and install it and never look back, it is the end all of Trans Issues providing you have Good Quality Bearings, Gears and Lube to start with.

redonkulousruntsracing
04-27-2012, 10:43 AM
yup, finishing is MOST important. I am not going to have a repeat of our race at Walden MX we broke the trans 3X, its not fair to my son.
Like I said, just trying to educate myself here, and its good to hear what others have done to make these things stay together. Right now the trans is all new and held up until my son crashed. A slipper clutch will be on it before he gets out of his cast you can count on that.

nordic quad
04-27-2012, 01:22 PM
We are also having problems with the slipper sprocket on our new Access 100cc (DRR)Tighthend it up before our first real trackday and it started to slip and burn after only a few laps.Retorqued it again but it was shot.We have run stock slipper sprockets on both Apex and Access 100s for over 2 years and it has been a battle.

MY Q is what brand of slipperclutches are out there ?
I am a customer at Hetricks are their slipper the same as MaxRpm slipper?
I watched a vid of installing a slippercluch and it involved grinding and variator shims for propper fitment.Any thoughts?

Stein A

#404's Dad
04-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by nordic quad
We are also having problems with the slipper sprocket on our new Access 100cc (DRR)Tighthend it up before our first real trackday and it started to slip and burn after only a few laps.Retorqued it again but it was shot.We have run stock slipper sprockets on both Apex and Access 100s for over 2 years and it has been a battle.

MY Q is what brand of slipperclutches are out there ?
I am a customer at Hetricks are their slipper the same as MaxRpm slipper?
I watched a vid of installing a slippercluch and it involved grinding and variator shims for propper fitment.Any thoughts?

Stein A

Justin @ Maximum RPM has a Patend on them now so nobody else is suppose to sell them, give him a call he'll hook ya up.

No grinding involved that I have ever seen with His or the ones I made, simply went in place of the stock Drum.

nordic quad
04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Tnx 404 thats all i need to know :)I am ok with doing some mods,but i like my bolt on stuff as hasselfree as possible;)
This will be the first of a long list of aftermarket upgrade parts for the 100cc this season.

Stein A

coffing918
04-29-2012, 12:58 PM
JJ for Ran a slipper clutch on his 50 production for 2 years and only broke gears once at Atco, but he landed really hard on the gas rite at the finish line, he won but only made it like 2 feet past the flag! I heard it break from the gates!

BradLoomis
05-02-2012, 09:12 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=295518

This is an old post for the bearing upgrade

redonkulousruntsracing
05-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Brad - Nice, that was before my time.
I use a NTN HMK 2525 bearing in there now. I just called my bearing house to see if they make one of those INA bearings in the 25/25 size. No such luck, I can get the 25/16 like you mentioned or a 25/20, which I dont see how that would work. I just relaced the 2525 bearing, but I ordered a INA 25/16 to keep in my parts bin, or should I change it, hmmm, now I just have to dig up that damn snap ring...:blah: