PDA

View Full Version : ? for Clarke 4 gallon tank owners

D Bergstrom
04-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Is the bottom of a Clarke 4 gallon tank mostly flat, or does it have a sump like a IMS 4 gallon tank? I currently have a IMS tank and the sump portion of it hits the crossbar on my LSR frame. It looks like I may be able to heat up the tank and reform it some and it will work, but if is doesn't, just wondering if a Clarke tank will work. I need a 4 gallon tank for those long desert and dune rides.

Doug

deathman53
04-25-2012, 09:35 AM
i have an older clarke tank and its flat. I also have an IMS and is like you said and petcolck mounts further to the front. I wanted to use the IMS on my hybrid, but the sump of the tank would hit the motor. I had to heat the tank some for the petcock on the clarke to clear the crf motor.

rockingkfarms
04-25-2012, 11:32 AM
I have a 4 gallon Clarke tank not installed, sitting in my shop right now. Pm me your info and I'll send pics.

ytman
04-25-2012, 08:19 PM
big well on the bottom towards the front. If for some reason you don't get pics I'll take and post some

D Bergstrom
04-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Rockingkfarms, you have a PM.

Actually, if someone could get me a side pic of the tank mounted to a frame, that would great. That way I can see how far below the frame it ends up. E-mail is dbergstrom2@cox.net.

I have found a couple of pics of the Clarke online, nothing great, but it does look like the bottom is pretty flat. My IMS just hits that crossbar. The petcock clears it fine, just the front of the sump hits it. If the Clarke looks better, I may not even try to mod the IMS, would rather try to sell a good tank then ruin it trying to reshape it. My only problem is I am not a fan of the Clarke's shape or dry break mounting, but I guess I will have to live with it.

Doug

rockingkfarms
04-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Doug,
I received your pm and will get pics to you tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest.

I have both an old style "swelled" IMS 3.6 and a new style IMS Drybreak both mounted on other bikes to compare the Clarke to.

I am of the same opinion as you on the shape of the Clarke tank. I prefer the IMS but the Clarke tank is really not that offensive once you get used to it.

rockingkfarms
04-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Pics emailed tonight

D Bergstrom
04-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Got em, thanks for taking the time to take them and send them, I appreciate it. Need to dig my IMS tank out and compare this weekend.

Doug

beerock
04-28-2012, 12:28 AM
I have run a clark 4 gallon on my Laeger 250r geom frame and my stock frame, and my buddy runs one on his LSR frame and also ran it on his lsr titanium

JM317
04-29-2012, 07:06 PM
If you decide to buy a used Clarke 4 gallon, I have one in natural for sale.