PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Z71 rearend trouble

dj416
03-05-2003, 12:10 AM
i got a 2000 z71 and sometimes when the rear tires spin it makes a popinf noise and 1 tire spins and the other tries too and if i make a sharp turn soon after it feels like both tires are loked togather. my friend told me i needed to add some "friction modifyer". i have never heard of this but he said most chevy rearends need this. any opinions. i just dont want to put a rearend in it if i dont need to.

L.Vegas400
03-06-2003, 04:15 AM
what i would do is, drain it and refill with the correct fluids. i have also heard about the friction stuff but never looked into it. i am going to do mine when i get back from deployment. i have a 98 gmc and sometimes both tires spin upon take off and sometimes only one. i just noticed when locked in 4wd the rearend is locked up and chirps a tire when turning, but in 2wd it doesnt do it I DONT UNDERSTAND????

if anyone is wondering (i bet your not though) our trip got delayed until tomarrow morning.:grr i just want to get the he!! out of here.

tjd400
03-06-2003, 05:28 AM
I've got a 99 Z71 and it does the same thing it's just you rear end locking up so the other tire so both will spin . The poping sound you hear is the lock engaging. It will steer funny around corners right after it happens untill it unlocks its self. I think it tells you abuot this some place in your manual. You DO NOT need friction modifier.....

Leo
03-06-2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
i just noticed when locked in 4wd the rearend is locked up and chirps a tire when turning, but in 2wd it doesnt do it I DONT UNDERSTAND????

It's the difference between the amount the distance the front wheels are turning and the rear wheels are turning.. Everything kind of binds up and one of the tires has to slip or something brakes. 100% normal for any standard 4wd vehicle on hard surfaces w/ good traction (and why they tell you not to run on dry pavement in 4wd :D)

Leo

Leo
03-06-2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by tjd400
I've got a 99 Z71 and it does the same thing it's just you rear end locking up so the other tire so both will spin . The poping sound you hear is the lock engaging. It will steer funny around corners right after it happens untill it unlocks its self. I think it tells you abuot this some place in your manual. You DO NOT need friction modifier.....

Yikes.. what's chevy using for rear ends these days?

If it was a mopar (Dana / Corporate) I'd tell you to change the fluid, add the correct amount of friciton additive and go do about 12 tight figure 8's in a paved parking lot, problem solved.

My limited slip never makes any kind of popping noise, and as an added bonus it keeps both rear tires equally bald.. :D

Leo

JustRace
03-06-2003, 08:39 AM
Actually i know of 3 chevy half tons where the rear ends went out before 30K miles. The rear end is the week spot on the 2000 half tons for some reason.

Leo
03-06-2003, 08:59 AM
rear ends have been problematic for all the manufactures as of late...

the bearings they are getting are just plain JUNK.. I won't mention any names (TIMKEN) but the have been having some serious QC issues.. or at least that's what I've seen. No other reason for a properly setup rear end to go thru bearings at 20k mile intervals.. I mean they've been building rear diff's for what 90 years now?

Leo

ChadEXer
03-06-2003, 10:01 AM
Leo, I have one and dont even know, but I guess Dodge still uses Dana dont they? I have the Lonstar Edition Ram and it has the lower gears and my rear end is always locked. When its wet outside I have to be careful, my back end wants to get sideways!!

YLW400
03-06-2003, 10:32 AM
I have a 99 extended cab Z-71. The ONLY complaint I have is it shifts kinda hard from 1st to 2nd gear.....Other then that I love the thing

Guy400
03-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Drain the fluid, pull the cover and weld the spider gears. No more popping noise around corners and both tires will light up when floored:D Honestly, my father has a 2001 Z71 and his rear end doesn't make any noise (no jokes please). It corners correctly and the posi still locks up when you start to spin the tires.

Speaking of strange rear end noises. You guys ever hear a Detroit Locker going around a corner? The first corner I took when I had mine in a drag car was a little disconcerting.

Castor-426ex
03-06-2003, 11:24 AM
i had a strange rear end noise about 15 minutes ago...

got dang chili

YLW400
03-06-2003, 11:25 AM
something smells funny in here:confused2

Castor-426ex
03-06-2003, 11:30 AM
sorry:(