PDA

View Full Version : Is this car worth it? (Firebird)

m0t0xk1d
04-24-2012, 07:22 AM
here is the craiglist ad http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/2920555803.html

First off it says it needs a head gasket which seems to be about $500 - $1000 worth of work at a shop. But im thinking if i bring around 2500$ cash i can take it.

The guy says if a battery is put in it, it will run, but doesnt have a battery, so if i go look at it id bring a battery.

After doing many searches on LT1's i cant find a common reason for blown head gaskets, but i do see alot of lt1s with head gaskets. But is it just a head gasket? or does it seem like there is probably more wrong with it?

I know alot of people have info about LT1s here

It looks to be in solid shape, and is only about 20 minutes from me, if it runs im thinking about seeing if i can bring it to my mechanic which charges $20 to look over a car before i buy it to see whats wrong. does anyone know first few things i should look for when first looking at it?

CJM
04-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Id give the guy a grand. 90k or not it needs a head gasket, the battery is dead and who knows what else.

chucked
04-24-2012, 08:00 AM
99.9% of the time the diagnostic in craigslist ads are wrong. How do you know the head isnt cracked or if the bearings in the motor are shot from running the engine with water in the oil? A good price to pay would be kbb in good running shape minus the price of another motor and installation

OldGuyonaQuad
04-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by chucked
99.9% of the time the diagnostic in craigslist ads are wrong. How do you know the head isnt cracked or if the bearings in the motor are shot from running the engine with water in the oil?

SO TRUE

m0t0xk1d
04-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Yea that to is what i figured, how do he know its just a head gasket? cause if the antifreeze or dripped down into the bottom end and mixed with oil and bent rods or something. and he said it does run, which the more it runs could make it worse. i think im going to pass.

Car shopping can be so stressful trying to find the right car for the right price and miles and what now. ughhhhh

Tommy Warren
04-24-2012, 02:18 PM
firebirds suck... and if he's not interested in fixing the head gasket... what else has he let slide over the years. there has to be something else whrong with it or he would just fix it if he had brains....but then again he did buy a firebird:blah:

trick450r
04-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Id buy it if you can get him down to $2k...after a close inspection obviously, it probably lost a fan relay though and overheated, maybe warped heads. probably not cracked.

I sold my rolling firebird chassis for $1500 no motor no trans...the t56 is worth $1k all day long and the long block is worth $500 not including all the other random parts...if something is catastrophic part it out and pull a small profit.

If the heads are cracked let me know, ill send you a set of port matched and freshly machined lt4 heads for the cost of shipping...

I say take a good honest look at it.

m0t0xk1d
04-24-2012, 09:11 PM
ended up buying a 2004 wrx sti today!