PDA

View Full Version : 450R help

rbgnwa45
04-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Friend bought a 2004. White Bros exhaust with no spark arrestor. Razrs.

Won't shift into 5th and there's more pull at 3/4-4/5 throttle than at full. When at WOT it seems to rev too fast like when you go WOT on a snowmobile and it winds out at max RPM while still accelerating. There is about 15% less pull than at around 4/5 throttle. There is no sputter. It could hit the rev limiter but as I'm describing the 15% decrease in acceleration it wasn't hitting the limiter. The clutch cable is adjusted to maximum so the clutch must be going. When my friend got it the clutch cable was adjusted so tight that the clutch was essentially pressed in even with the lever out and he rode it like that down the road and said he got up to 80kmh. When I rode it, it would hardly move like this. I couldn't even get out of 2nd as it wouldn't shift properly and I had to hit the limiter just to get it moving but it would start to roll and you could let off. After telling him the clutch lever felt too tight I adjusted the cable and it woke it up. When in the neutral gear it clicks like it wants to find 1st. Pulling in the clutch doesn't help and it sometimes does it while in gear with the clutch in. There isn't much play in the lever (1/4 to 1/2 a CM) and the cable is tight.

I weigh 250lbs and it'll lift me in 2nd on pavement :devil:, the first 450 I've ridden. I was surprized by how fast it went from mid to top. I didn't like that it had a somewhat small turning radius with the bars cranked but when I was crawling on gravel it spun around on a dime, I felt like I was standing in one spot while spinning in a circle. It likes to slide too. Not enough power for me but 10/10 would ride again lol. I don't know what a steering stabilizer feels like but I'm going to say it should have one. The suspension is stiff at speed but soft when stopped. I didn't like it at all because it jerked my hands around. My hands were sore after a 5 minute ride.

Also, please convince him that the clutch is needed when shifting :ermm:. After coming back for a ride I asked if he was and shook his head like it was acceptable *face palm*. He is new at using a clutch but he'll pop it to get going. If he did that on pavement he'd flip it.

chucked
04-21-2012, 03:32 PM
I only use the clutch when taking off or slowing down, never use it to shift. Been doing it for years, zero problems

Zakradu398
04-21-2012, 05:22 PM
^ x2 :confused:

HondaRacing83
04-21-2012, 05:28 PM
i always use my clutch. for everything..

rbgnwa45
04-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Don't the cogs get jammed together? I can't not shift without the clutch.

Is it revving too fast at WOT because the clutch is going or is that just how it is?

DnB_racing
04-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45
Don't the cogs get jammed together? I can't not shift without the clutch.

Is it revving too fast at WOT because the clutch is going or is that just how it is? obviously there are clutch problems, its hard to tell from your description if its just the plates or if you need a basket also??

but you should open it up and check all the clutch components and replace anything that's worn

as far as shifting without a clutch, if done properly at the right rpm, its as smooth as using the clutch, but if your just jamming it into gear without properly syncing the rpm with the gears then yes you can damage gears

I just read your other post and see that its leaking oil... make sure the shift shaft isn't bent, this could be causing some of the shifting issues along with the clutch needing to be replaced

chucked
04-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Its a semi- synchronized transmission. They will never get jammed. I can accelerate much quicker without the clutch

DnB_racing
04-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by chucked
Its a semi- synchronized transmission. They will never get jammed. I can accelerate much quicker without the clutch I agree they wont jam, but they can be damaged,

if its just being shifted without some sort of (i use the term sync) but its as much timing the rpm with the gear being used,

I know you have no issues with shifting with no clutch, but your doing it properly at the right time,

from the way the poster sounds,(i might be wrong) his friend isn't really timing it but just jamming it into gear regardless of were in the rpm range he is in.. in this case you can wear the gears prematurely;)

rbgnwa45
04-22-2012, 05:08 PM
My friend was givin'r. I'm pretty sure he was letting off the throttle. When we were like 13 years old (now 24) and we went out on his AC300 for the first time he wouldn't even let off the gas sometimes lol.

It's a little oil. Like a few drops but I know it's not from over flow.

I was arguing with the guy so I don't think I'll hear from him for awhile :o.

rbgnwa45
05-03-2012, 03:57 PM
We changed the oil filter and oils. Didn't clean the air filter (has a slip-on/cover). Put air in the tires. Pulled a lot harder and would lift the front end on pavement, which was awesome. Yesterday, my friend was in 4th going down the road at around 60 MPH and the engine shut off and the back tires locked up so it looks like it has blown up. Things in the rear end have shifted. POSPO.

rageatvlawson8
05-03-2012, 05:49 PM
I dont care what kinda clutch issues youve got that wont make it not shift into 5th gear like you said it wasnt. So you guys are riding around beating on a bike that wont shift gears properly so obviously has issues and then when it blows up you call it a POS??? Sounds like the main issue was between the pegs and bars.............

mkh155
05-04-2012, 05:16 AM
you put air in the tires and STILL had tranny problems??? your right what a pos..