PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slipping??

mudder67
04-21-2012, 10:38 AM
When my fourwheeler is in any gear I can the clutch it and it still will roll but will sorta quit when I give it gas. Could that be due to clutches? Or ??

mudder67
04-21-2012, 11:38 AM
And also when I have it on jacks or something I let it be in first gear and let the wheels turn over without giving it gas and my chain starts jumping. Could that be from the clutches going out or something more. It's like its catching or something.

Drfat400ex
04-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Well if your stand is under the frame, not touching the swing-arm and allowing the suspension to be all the way out, then it's normal that it might jump a bit like that, if it's really bad make sure your chain is tightened properly. When you're tightening it make sure to have the quad on the ground and allow 30-40mm of travel. As far as the clutch, it could be slipping or the cable might need adjusted, but CJM will tell you what's going on with that :blah:

mudder67
04-21-2012, 12:06 PM
It's the weirdest thing it'll sit there and jump like it wants to move and it I push it a little it starts rolling and this is all while holding the clutch in

Drfat400ex
04-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Yeah it sounds like it's slipping, but I've never had a clutch go out so I don't know.

400exwhipper
04-21-2012, 02:11 PM
If your clutch is slipping first adjust your cable so there is a lot of slack in it.. Then ride it and romp on it in like 4th and 5th if its slipping you will feel the motor rev up and the fourwheeler not really moving with the motor.. Mine was horrible I replaced it with the tusk plates and hd springs.. There a lot stiffer but this clutch grabs like crazy and disengauges well too

CJM
04-21-2012, 06:55 PM
too much slack in the cable, adjust at the lever and if that doesnt work then adjust at the engine.

mudder67
04-21-2012, 07:18 PM
My handle bars is adjusted all the way out and which way do I go on the motors?

CJM
04-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Adjust it till its tight.

If your handlebar is adjusted out however its time for a new clutch cable. that dont work yuor gonna have to do the clutch.

mudder67
04-21-2012, 09:01 PM
So I would just need all the new plates and springs for it. Or would yall recommend a new clutch basket also.

400exwhipper
04-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Plates and springs is all you need. Highly recommend tusk

mudder67
04-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Yea I was looking at risk earlier on rocky mountain. There not bad priced.

Crosshairs
04-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by mudder67
So I would just need all the new plates and springs for it. Or would yall recommend a new clutch basket also.

You wont know about the basket until you get it apart...most of the time plates, springs and frictions is all you need, but if the basket is worn and grooved, it will need to be replaced.

chevymanrick
04-23-2012, 10:59 AM
X2 on the tusk plates and springs they work awesome grab very well

TheAwesomehonda
04-23-2012, 01:13 PM
I've got the tuck plates with hd prings on one of my ex's and i don't like them very much. They grab/jerk way to much when i let out the clutch and if i havn't drove it for awhile i have a hell of a time to even get them to slip (like i put it in gear with the clutch pulled in and it takes off b/c the plates aren't disengadging). The big problem that i had with them is that they aren't nearly is thick as they should be, when i measured them new they were like way below the new spec in the service manual.. I will never use them again on my quads!!

01boneless
04-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
I've got the tuck plates with hd prings on one of my ex's and i don't like them very much. They grab/jerk way to much when i let out the clutch and if i havn't drove it for awhile i have a hell of a time to even get them to slip (like i put it in gear with the clutch pulled in and it takes off b/c the plates aren't disengadging). The big problem that i had with them is that they aren't nearly is thick as they should be, when i measured them new they were like way below the new spec in the service manual.. I will never use them again on my quads!!
fail.... adjust your cable

TheAwesomehonda
04-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
fail.... adjust your cable Haha sorry man i already did.... ALOT... idk if anyone else measured the tuck plates new but there not even the new spec and that just doesn't make sense.

PrideRider
04-27-2012, 11:51 AM
try putting some auto transmission oil in it you'll have to change it a little more often but it will bite hard as hell

TheAwesomehonda
04-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by PrideRider
try putting some auto transmission oil in it you'll have to change it a little more often but it will bite hard as hell OK quick question You didn't just tell this dude to run trany oil in has 400ex did you?:huh

Crosshairs
04-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by PrideRider
try putting some auto transmission oil in it you'll have to change it a little more often but it will bite hard as hell

These bikes are common sump....so trans fluid is not an option

TheAwesomehonda
04-27-2012, 03:38 PM
^^ Exactly what i was getting at.....:blah: