PDA

View Full Version : KX250 rear preload

rooster300ex
04-20-2012, 09:20 PM
I noticed just by soften my rear shock made me gain alil more traction. I noticed my preload is setting really high when I get on the bike. I'm 220lbs how far should I loosen the preload. I'm tryin to make this bike more of a trail bike I ride no motocross.

rooster300ex
04-21-2012, 07:43 AM
I may not even be on the right track here. A guy on here put up a link for dirtbike suspension, but there isnt anything about preload that I see. I know for a fact that when I made the rear shock softer the front tire wanted to come off the ground instead of spinning the rear to hell. Would adjusting the preload even help it get more traction??

KXRida
04-21-2012, 01:26 PM
A softer suspension will help you gain a little more bite, but you're going to loose side bite on acceleration as well as traction in breaking bumps with a soft suspension. Suspension setup is all personal preference. What would work for me most likely wouldn't work for another. At 220lbs you probably need heavier springs. Save some some coin and take your suspension to a tuner. It's more than worth it. I went with PR2 for all my bikes due to them being local and helping me out with tuning/troubleshooting at the tracks. Springs, re\valving, and an overhaul and you'll be set to go.