PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem when riding mx

chucked
04-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Went to BPG last weekend and I developed a weird problem. After about 2-3 laps on my yfz, my ring finger on each hand would hurt so bad I had to stop. Ive never had this problem before, just got back from a trip where I rode about 6 hours straight for 2 days on my honda rancher and didnt have a problem, and I also don't have the problem when riding my sea doo. I have ODI lock on grips, everything else is stock. One thing I did notice, was with the grips and the yamaha style throttle assembly, I had to stretch my thumb over to hit the throttle. Im going to get a honda throttle assembly and different grips to start. But Ive had this bike for 2 years and never had this problem.

CJM
04-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Were your gloves worn out or possibly too big? I normally wear a sz lg mechanix glove but need a medium b/c they bunch up when I grab the bars and cause irritation.

chucked
04-20-2012, 03:54 PM
No, and I actually tried 2 other different types of gloves, no difference

Tommy Warren
04-20-2012, 04:23 PM
do you race with two fingers on the clutch and brake lever?

chucked
04-20-2012, 05:13 PM
No, in fact I watched myself in case I did it by force of habit.

mhsrb23
04-20-2012, 05:22 PM
i bought some odi lock on grips and they were to big for my hands, didnt even leave the shop with them on the bars. Grips could be to big

piejazz96
04-21-2012, 04:50 PM
I used to have that problem, what I thought it was is that when racing mx, not just riding, you definitely stress and work out different muscles that you usually would not use on a daily basis or leisure trail riding. The muscles will eventually build up and that feeling will go away. Just my .02$ and from experience.

madskrillz2
04-21-2012, 08:35 PM
You might be gripping harder with that finger or something. I know when I haven't ridden in awhile, my fingers almost lock up from gripping the bars so hard.

sunco
04-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Put some oury grips on anyway. big hands need fatter bars to grip. see ya there sometime soon. must have missed ya. I been there the last 3 weeks, not last weekend though

chucked
04-23-2012, 07:08 PM
I was there 13th-15th, I saw you. I have a mostly stock gray yfz with big gun exhaust and big goofy 20" holeshots on the back.

sunco
04-24-2012, 08:25 AM
come say hello next time ;)

Tdunford
04-24-2012, 09:26 AM
From a medical stand point
The first thing that pops into my head after reading this post is a condition known as an ulnar neuropathy. The ulnar nerve innervates your baby finger and your ring finger. If you are having problems bilaterally I would suspect a "handle bar palsy" which basically means when you are grabbing the bars while riding mx you are squishing the nerve in your hand opposite your thumb leading to pain in your ring finger.
Another possibility is that if you suffer from forearm pump that same nerve may be getting compressed from tight muscles in your forearm (flexor Carpi ulnaris).
That last possibility is that muscles in your neck called the scalenes are tightening while you ride and compressing the lower half of the nerve bundle ( brachial plexus) that innervates your arm. This situation is called thoracic outlet syndrome and is more prominent in individuals that have previously
broken their collar bone.
Google treatment for
1 ulnar nerve pulsy or cubital tunnel palsy which will include stretching and soft tissue work.
2 get massage on your forearms and lateral neck and make sure you are well hydrated and be sure to replenish your salts to avoid pump or cramping
I would try a real soft grip and taping your hand over your hypothenar muscle group ( google it) to avoid squishing your ulnar nerve against your bar.
Cheers
Ty

ZSK
04-24-2012, 10:13 AM
I had a similar problem when I first switched to ODI Lock on grips. My ring fingers would catch a groove on the grips. Everytime my hands moved side to side a little bit it was putting side pressure on my fingers sitting in the groove. What helped was going to a bark buster style handguard that wrapped around the end of the bars. The side pressure went away from the ring fingers and to the outside of my hand and helped a great deal.