PDA

View Full Version : hotcam or piston

russellsroost31
04-19-2012, 08:18 AM
hey u guys ive been thinking about doing a full rebuild this next winter and i was wondering if i should just get hot cams with stock piston or should i get a 11:1 piston
i want the most reliabilty as possible

CJM
04-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Theres no reliability issues if you do a high comp piston. If your gonna have it apart Id do a stage 2 hotcam and 11:1 piston.

russellsroost31
04-19-2012, 09:35 AM
ill think about it

dxcody
04-19-2012, 09:48 AM
For an extra $130, get the hotcam if you can swing it.

the 11:1 shows you a nice increase, but i feel its almost doubled with the backing of a hotcam.

01boneless
04-19-2012, 10:15 AM
sb 11:1 and hotcam stage 2 you will be pleased

russellsroost31
04-19-2012, 12:43 PM
what kind of issues would i be looking at as far as reliability and stuff of that sort

CJM
04-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by russellsroost31
what kind of issues would i be looking at as far as reliability and stuff of that sort

There are zero issues dude. Your over thinking this..

The only way you can kill these engines is to overheat them by improper jetting or running too high of a compression on pump gas. 11:1 is perfectly fine.

russellsroost31
04-19-2012, 01:00 PM
well i added everything up im lookin at about $520 for a entire topend kit with piston, hotcams, and a full hmf system

CJM
04-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Your money is wasted on the full exhaust, cant really get a better flowing exhaust on these bikes due to exhaust design. Buy a slip on, trust me a full exhaust wont give you anymore power than a slip on.

russellsroost31
04-19-2012, 01:14 PM
i opened up the headers by grinding the welds and i must say tht it did dive me a little more bottom end and better throttle response

CJM
04-19-2012, 01:15 PM
i opened up the headers by grinding the welds and i must say tht it did dive me a little more bottom end and better throttle response

And thats all your gonna get out of it really. You wanna buy a full exhaust and meek out an extra 1/2 be my guest lol.

chronicsmoke
04-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Your money is wasted on the full exhaust, cant really get a better flowing exhaust on these bikes due to exhaust design. Buy a slip on, trust me a full exhaust wont give you anymore power than a slip on.

I'll remain skeptical until I see a dyno.. I know what you're getting at, but there would still be an increase..

Is it worth it since he already has a slip on/header welds ground(<- if he followed through on it, I know he was talking about it).. Probably not a noticable increase on the as$ dyno, but i'm sure there is an increase no matter how minute.

like the Uni vs. K&N debate (Oh god not this again..) it was said that the K&N does add a slight bit more.

Does it justify the cost of a K&N, not to some, but it will to others.. Same for a full exhaust vs s/o.. the extra minute amount would make it worth the price tag to some people.

My BG header is of larger diameter than the stocker, that has to account for something..

Edit: didn't see your last post, Mark.

TheAwesomehonda
04-19-2012, 01:49 PM
This is one reason why i always tell people just get a full system exhaust right away and be done... Now he has a slip on and stock header with the welds grown but wants a full system. I'll just put in my vote for the hmf comp series exhaust if your going to spend the money. $513 was my total from summit racing. As for if its more power idk but i could find out ez if i switched back to my stock head. That sounds to much like work though. As stated above the larger diameter head pipe has to do something.

CJM
04-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Sure it does help, but like I already stated-your splitting hairs at that point to eek out an extra 1/2 to 1hp. Will you feel that at the wheels-hell no.

Money would be better spent porting/polishing the head.

russellsroost31
04-19-2012, 07:06 PM
ok time to get back on topic
ive heard if id do a piston id keep blowing the head gasket is this true

crazya**400exer
04-19-2012, 07:23 PM
can you run pump gas on a 11:1 piston?

russellsroost31
04-19-2012, 07:24 PM
yup

400exwhipper
04-19-2012, 07:35 PM
My main worry with 11:1 is ****ty gas around here.. I mean Sunoco usually has good fuel but what if I get some bad gas whats it gonna do and what can I do to ensure I'm getting good fuel

dxcody
04-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Your not going to blow head gaskets over a higher compression piston.'

Just like CJM said, jetting and good gas and your wont have a problem.

When people blow head gaskets its due to the heat, it pulls the stock studs threads out and thats what causes your head gasket to go.

But its not very common on smaller bores.

Take precautionary measures and get the GT Thunder Heavy Duty head studs installed in your cylinder.

Ensuring that your get good gas, I dont know how you tell if your gas is good.

CJM
04-19-2012, 07:51 PM
ok time to get back on topic
ive heard if id do a piston id keep blowing the head gasket is this true

Whomever told you that is an idiot. My motor would have locked up by now as would have my friends that I helped build and my buddies Chris who just built it with my recommendations.

Do you need the heavy duty studs-not really, but for 100 bucks more they are cheap insurance. See what happens on these air cooled motors is if you dont jet it right or overheat it then the exhaust heats up very badly as does the aluminum top end. This causes the steel head studs near the exhaust to pull out.

11:1 can be safely run on 93 octane, I have never had an issue but I always get gas at the same place tho. if your worried about it, so long as you buy name brand gas you should be ok. Even no name gas stations premium fuel is decent in alot of cases.

jkosakowski
04-19-2012, 08:07 PM
I have the 11:1 with a stage 2 cam and just to be on the safe side i get race fuel at delta sonic its 101 octane...i just dont know if other places have good gas

russellsroost31
04-19-2012, 08:23 PM
im doing all this my self tho cause i gonna b in a power equipment class next year at the career center so ima just rebuild the motor there

cheater13
04-20-2012, 06:40 AM
I have a 12.5:1 high compression piston with stage 2 hotcams and some other stuff done to it and i run 92-93 octane. It still makes a little ticking but that's probably the cam.

russellsroost31
04-20-2012, 07:16 AM
i thought u had to run at least half pump gas and half race gas with a 12:5:1

CJM
04-20-2012, 03:38 PM
i thought u had to run at least half pump gas and half race gas with a 12:5:1

You should, its risky to run higher than 11:1 without using race gas. Some can do it due to altitude, jetting and more importantly camshaft. The camshaft knocks the comp ratio down slightly.

I honestly wont risk it and you really dont gain a hell of alot with 12.5 vs 11:1

quadmanw
04-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Let me throw this out there CJM, what do you think the best make of a stage 2 cam is? Or are they basically the same and go for the cheapest one? Lol
I wanted to run my rebuild for awhile without the cam to see the difference it really makes.

dxcody
04-21-2012, 09:52 AM
webcams probably makes the best cam, power wise.

But they require hard welded rockers.

The stage 2 hotcam is a good cam though, and the web cam probably doesnt make enough difference to compensate the cost, but i have never used a web cam.

CJM
04-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by quadmanw
Let me throw this out there CJM, what do you think the best make of a stage 2 cam is? Or are they basically the same and go for the cheapest one? Lol
I wanted to run my rebuild for awhile without the cam to see the difference it really makes.

Stage 2 hotcam hands down. There are better ones per se but as cody mentioned-web and sparks among others need hardfaced rockers-not really worth it.

Trust me, keeping the stock cam is pointless with a worked engine.

Look on ebay for apex racing, jeff sells them very cheap compared to other places and has excellent customer service. Several members have bought both piston and cam from him and been happy.

midnightjoker27
04-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Look on ebay for apex racing, jeff sells them very cheap compared to other places and has excellent customer service. Several members have bought both piston and cam from him and been happy.
My piston and cam just arrived last week from Jeff. the service was great and the price was about the best ive found anywhere.