PDA

View Full Version : Why race?

Balaz_73*00
04-18-2012, 09:25 AM
This thought has been running through my head. Why do I race (motocross)? What's the point? The more I pondered it, there really is no reason. This year would be my 5th year taking it seriously. And the more I think about it, I think im gona scale it way back. Last year, I hit lk 6 nationals, spent a bunch of money traveling around, and for what..nothing. Actually, I did get a piece of paper from AMA for my 10th overall finish in 450B. Maybe its me getting old (24) but I rather save my hard earned money for a house, and other "more important" things. I find myself questioning why would I risk injury and putting my career on hold. Racing is actually kind of dumb. You get absolutely nothing back. I think im ok with just being a fast weekend warrior. I still want to ride tracks and do open rides, but I think I've hit the point where I've wised up and realized its pointless. Im thinking about just getting a woods bike and going back to my roots, ripping trails. I've always enjoyed that. And maybe do some woods racing because you're actually on the track for more than 15 mins and threre are a couple great series in Indiana. Why do you race? #Rant

bbender85
04-18-2012, 09:52 AM
i'm only starting my third year, but for me, its not just the track time... its the build, the prep, the anticipation, pulling into the pits with the rig, smelling the race fuel... and the friends i've made. i did one national last year and i don't feel like i need to do any more than that a year. i have a blast at the local stuff here in MI.

i've been through college, bought a house, and have a good job... so for me a weekend warrior is all i'll ever be, and even that's a stretch. i do it when i have the money to spend on it.... NOT if i have to skip paying a bill or take beer cans back to fund it. sometime i wonder if its worth the risk of injury myself, and fortunately pushing a mouse around on a desk can be accomplished without much physical demand (was back at work two weeks after breaking both my wrists in 2010 lol).

XC_Racer_129
04-18-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I just graduated and got a job. I'm saving for a house and probably a wedding in the next year or so. I love racing, and I really enjoy hanging out with everyone I met, but spending $100+ for gas and then race fees is rediculous for a plaque or $10 trophy. I'll never be able to make a living out of it, so work is more important. The fear of getting hurt and not being able to work always held me back slightly. I'm going to run the closer tracks, and maybe one GNCC. I enjoy and actually really miss when my buddies and I would go out and ride all day on Sundays. I guess it's just the part of growing up and the stage of life I'm in right now. There are a lot of things that are more important then racing right now. I have no intentions of leaving the sport, I might just put my racing on hold.

Balaz_73*00
04-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Its not that I dont have the money or am sacraficing paying bills, I went through college and have a well paying desk job. Its just the more I think of it, it really is a waste. My bro just spent 30k on his wedding, and I have that along with purchasing a house on the near horizon. Just like you said bender, weekend warrior is all I will ever let myself be from now on. Do a few races here and there locally when I have time.

Well said XC

chronicsmoke
04-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Nothing wrong with being a weekend warrior though..

I'm not going to do as many events as I thought I would either.. I mean I have benifits through work and everything, I COULD get mangled up and still have a good job (I'm an office worker too)..

I've been having the same thoughts Balaz, we are in very similar stages in our lives.

Kind of why I procrastinated getting my quad ready.. and getting into shape I feel like a fatty since hockey finished for the season. I'm just not as amped as I was in previous years. I also had my worst slam ever my last ride out in November (confidence shattered)

I'm still going to do maybe 2-3 events..I'm happy with that. I wont be serious about it, you'll find me blazing with the pit crew more this year.

ATVMX33
04-18-2012, 10:44 AM
its just the competition and having something to push for..and showing off haha
and the adrenaline
but this is the third year in a row ive tried to take it seriously and the 3rd year ive gotten hurt in april :/

Balaz_73*00
04-18-2012, 11:49 AM
The adreneline is about the only thing I might miss with not racing every weekend. I really want to work on my golf game so I'll get that competitive side out doing that. Man, I feel like an old fart. Theres just not enough time in a 2 day weekend to get stuff done.

KXRida
04-18-2012, 11:56 AM
I raced for a solid 5 or 6 years and looking back I can't believe the money I have invested. I pretty much got out of the sport all together when I got hurt again in may of 2010 but would like to buy a sport quad to ride around with my buddys. Racing is pretty much out of the question for me any more. Granted I have good insurance, but getting hurt/missing work wouldn't be a good thing at all. I was off work for 2 weeks when I got hurt in may due to a mild head injury. Injuries more or less got the best of me, but I called it quits when I started to run into some serious issues with my head. Bones will heal, brains sometimes don't.

I will say though I had a blast doing it. Nothing beats working on getting the bike perfect all week long, loading everything up and going through your checks the night before, and IMO the best/worst feeling of motocross, waiting for the gate to drop.

HondaRacing83
04-18-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm still young (14), and even I've had thoughts, whats the point in dumping all the money your never going to get back? Then I go ride and remember exactly why I bust my balls. I honestly do want to be a pro GNCC racer, its just my life goal to atleast run a full season of gncc when im older. I think I can do it, Ive rode with a lot of people and Im faster in the woods than guys on 450s. Even my dad has complimented me which is rare on how fast i am, without being a goon. Ive though yaknow quads are pointless, why not get a bike theres a much better career possibility with that. But once again, I go ride, then ride a buddies bike and remember exactly why I do what I do. Its the risk, the adrenaline, the excitement, the prep, the everything I love. Theres nothing better to me, that when I get home from school I have new parts waiting at my door. I love it, then you just go throw your bookbag in the house and run out and put it on. Riding is like ecstacy to me. Theres not a better thing in the world. I'm gonna be honest, I dont have intentions on going to college. I want to be an underwater welder or micro welder and going pro doesnt fall through, im already taking classes for that. I will no matter what own a quad shop though, with possibilites of dirtbikes. I WILL NOT DEAL HARLEYS. they took over all my locals!

Lasher
04-18-2012, 02:38 PM
I am 40 years old, have a family, house, career etc... and been racing since 1999 here in New England. There were years that I did not make all the events, heck I think I might have missed a complete year of racing. Buying house, family getting bigger and all that took priorities.

Now my oldest son is racing and it gives me the excuse to go to as many races as we can. :)

My wife always asks me how long does she think our son will want to race. My answer..."I don't care because I want to keep racing."

Granted it is nice having a series like NEATV-MX around here, so I have no desire to travel to the nationals.

mx8
04-18-2012, 03:02 PM
I raced for five years, and I started thinking about how much money I have spent. And how dead end the sport is, and that is why I got out 100%. I do still trail ride and still have a good time with that. I can go to a race now and watch, and nothing has changed since 1996. Except the quads themselves.

Scro
04-18-2012, 03:02 PM
I haven't owned a quad in about 3.5 years. I sold everything to get married, and plan on getting another quad once we buy a house. It's an expensive hobby for sure, but it's a hell of alot of fun. I think everyone is bound to get burned out on anything to some extent. You may be like me, and itch everyday for another quad. Or you may decide to move on to other things.

Keep in mind, just because you get your death....I mean, marriage certificate, doesn't mean you have stop listening that inner-kid that all men have.:p

Lasher
04-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Just make sure the person you marry is into racing!

Nothing like having your wife pick up extra hours so you can buy more parts! LOL

Balaz_73*00
04-18-2012, 03:14 PM
I by no means was saying i'm getting out of the sport, or suggesting I'm going to bikes. I love riding QUADS and there will always be a quad in my garage no matter how old I get. Hell, my dad is 57 and has an ltr450. He ride trails pretty darn good too. I was simply stating that the whole racing every weekend locally, following the nationals, ect ect is just pointless. I have more fun riding trails with my dad, brother, and buddies. I spent thousands and thousands on travel, entry fees, ect over the past few years. I don't mind spending the money to have a decked out machine, but its just a waste to spend it on getting to and signing up to race.

Also, my woman loves riding and actually raced when she was younger. I met her through her dad who owns an atv shop. lol

fastredrider44
04-18-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm 24 and have raced A LOT in the past 5 years. I have not missed a Mid-south event from my very first one when I got hooked. That being said, I have not ridden for more than 15 minutes at a time since July outside of racing. I'm going to finish this season and think things over this summer. I'm in the process of buying a house this summer and I know I need to cool it with the spending money on racing. I'm not going hungry or letting bills slide, but it'd be nice to have a cushion too. I miss riding and want to get back to that. I do plan to pick up a dirtbike in the near future to play on, but my 450's are not going anywhere. I don't think I can live with myself not having a racebike or two sitting in the garage.

Tommy Warren
04-18-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm 27 now and I've totally missed my window to get into racing. I didn't have money when I was young enough to start. and now if I get injured I can't work to pay for my house, toys, car, truck, camper, boat, trailers yadda yadda yadda. so I just give it all I got on the trails and I get lots of pride from beating my buddies 450's to the other end of the trail. plus I'm a smoker and I would gas out after one lap.

CJM
04-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
I'm 27 now and I've totally missed my window to get into racing. I didn't have money when I was young enough to start. and now if I get injured I can't work to pay for my house, toys, car, truck, camper, boat, trailers yadda yadda yadda. so I just give it all I got on the trails and I get lots of pride from beating my buddies 450's to the other end of the trail. plus I'm a smoker and I would gas out after one lap.

Im about in the same shoes as you, didnt have any support when I was a kid to race so I didnt do it. Now its too late b/c if I injure myself im SOL.

HondaRacing83
04-18-2012, 05:14 PM
My dad won't support me to race either but I'm determined.

Tommy Warren
04-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Im about in the same shoes as you, didnt have any support when I was a kid to race so I didnt do it. Now its too late b/c if I injure myself im SOL.

I sure sucks I would have given anything to race or even have a quad back in the day. my parents didn't make any money and kicked me onto the streets when I was 16.... so all my money went into surviving instead of having fun

Balaz_73*00
04-18-2012, 06:20 PM
I was spending every dollar I made through high school and college on racing and my machine. Reflecting, yea it was fun but now i rather spend my money more wisely. I look at it as I wanted to do it, and I did. I took last year the most serious of all and have a very low sense of satisfaction looking back. It was not worth it. Im glad I got it out of my system before I really started making a decent wage. Which is probably a good thing becasue I would prob be spending more money than ever now. Plus I rather not use my vacation to take fridays off to make national practices.

Honda4life05
04-18-2012, 06:33 PM
I feel like if more people had the money/time/support to race motocross, there would be alot more competition through out every event.

Ruby Soho
04-18-2012, 07:13 PM
i never raced quads, just hit up OP when i could. i raced pitbikes, now that is fun. but its not like regular racing, only maybe 4-8 races a year. but its all in fun.

i thought racing was cool when i was younger but now ive grown out of it. i have my klx110 but thats about it. once i could drive that was it for me. it was trucks and pitbikes. now i rarely touch the 110, but ill probly keep it forever because theyre a blast and i know ill buy another if i lose this one.

its just a sign of the times, you grow up, you obviously see the right priorities.

i for one am glad i never spent as much as i wanted to on quads. seeing as it was just a small phase in my life it would have been a lot of money wasted. not saying i didnt have fun and love it at the time though

beastlywarrior
04-18-2012, 08:04 PM
I like racing but i could never afford it with now trying to get through college but i still like to hit up some flat track and i love pitbike racing. Plus the cost for a competitive quad was always too much for me. Probably why the warrior was the only one i kept. I built it up pretty nice for super cheap, its still not the best in mx or tt but its got enough power, handles great and can hold its own on trails

rbgnwa45
04-18-2012, 08:12 PM
For me it's putting the high-energy of the music I listen to into physical ability or feeling in hyper-control of where I'm going as if the bike doesn't exist and I'm flying through trees on my own magical powers or just letting go of excess energy. I've never raced pro or ama or inter. The only time I'll do it is against one or two friends for $10 through a forrest. It's a lot more fun, cheaper, closer to home and the bragging rights count the most. Even on mini-bikes it's still pretty fun but 80's/125's/250's 2-strokes is where it's at - fast & cheap.

dxcody
04-19-2012, 03:24 AM
Im in the later stages of my highschool years now, and all i can think about is racing. I havent gotten the chance too yet, and im not even sure i really want to, but the thought never leaves my mind.

I got my first 300ex my freshman year, i mowed yards all summer and bought it for $650. I didnt have money to deck it out or anything like that, i just rode he how she was.

Now i have upgraded and got a 400ex.
My brother in law and his brother both race. they have for the last 2 years. They both put alot of pressure on me to race.

But its hard to motivate yourself to race when i have a 400ex, stocker suspension, and you see all the 16 year olds that basically have pro quads, they rebuild them every race and usually they win by a matter of minutes. It just really puts a damper on even thinking about racing when you know your going to be lined up next to a guy with fox floats, walsh a arms, $1600 motor...

If they brought back the production classes i would consider it even more.

But they wont.

I have had the itch to try it since i went to the Ironman in 2010.

Idk.. I dont know if i want to get into it or not, i mean everybody who tells me "Oh yea you should race!"... after every race they are the ones complaining about how they need to quit racing, its a waste of money... So i just dunno.

HondaRacing83
04-19-2012, 04:58 AM
Don't they have classes where your not with 450s? Here in AWRCS we have a sport quad class which is like 200 2 stroke to 400 4 stroke

dxcody
04-19-2012, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Don't they have classes where your not with 450s? Here in AWRCS we have a sport quad class which is like 200 2 stroke to 400 4 stroke

Yea we have Sport 15+ which is just like you described.

BTW: Dream big man, you can go XC1.
The only limit you have is yourself.

Its takes insane amounts of dedication, desire and passion but you can do it!

LTR450_#67
04-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Its called a hobby........some are into it more than others..... I haven't race for 3 years and my quad has been in pieces for a year.....I'm dying to hit up some mx spots.....can't wait till its back together.... I just love to do it...and it keeps me in shape. my buddies got 450 bikes now and the sound of them is driving me crazy!

gncc025
04-19-2012, 05:24 PM
I used to be real heavy into quads from like 2000 up til 07. After that every year my motivation to ride just drops for some reason. I used to watched huevos 4 like 3 or 4 times a week :p . Im 25 now which I think is young but i believe since i started riding at such an early age im just flat out burnt. I rode just last weekend and it just isnt the same. no motivation what so ever :ermm:

jkosakowski
04-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Im 16 and have been racing now for 2 years in the Wnyoa series in ny. I was skeptical at first on how i was going to afford all of it but i did one race and got hooked and new i would find a way to afford it. I sold firewood for 3 years and bought my 400 when i was 14 and ever since then ive quit football and lacrosse because all i care about is racing. I think its worth it because its what you love to do.

finsteratv
04-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Racing is fun for competition and all but what I really enjoy is putting in lots of seat time and adventure. Exploring woods you've never been in or hauling through some part of the dunes you've never passed through before. I love all types of offroading, regardless of terrain, event, or vehicle. I'm like to keep it dirty :macho haha..Nothing replaces racing and pushing yourself to the point you can barely ride. Then when you finish, you get that feeling of self fulfillment for doing what you enjoy and pushing as hard as you can.

BTW I'm hoping to get a running scholarship to University of Oregon so racing is what I love to do. I run till I cant stand and can barely see or breathe. Pushing yourself to the edge is the start of success.

honda400ex2003
04-19-2012, 10:45 PM
this is an interesting thread :)

though i dont race, i think that i have burned myself out on the atv scene a bit so i dont really have the urge to ride like i used to. i dont want to ride tracks any more, i dont even really have a big desire to have a sport machine any more.

sledding has definitely peaked my interest alot more for the past few years... maybe one day ill get back into racing a bit more again. its hard with not having the cash to keep modding too, that makes it hard to stay competitive.

honestly thats probably the main reason i got burned out on it a bit. i dont have anything left to mod that i can currently afford on my machine. a few things- header, tires, new nerfs, and a-arms are about it. i just added a bunch of stuff in my bin for dennis kirk last week. 1000 bucks and i had a header, 4 tires, 4 rims, and some bearings for my dads rincon. thats pretty sad really... makes it hard to afford to ride when you spend that kind of coin to ride for the summer.

steve

blacknblue#2
04-20-2012, 02:49 AM
My racing has come to an end, same as everyone, growing family, house building and work all put a stop to the competitive side of my riding....I do still ride every chance i get... I still enjoy an MX track but im actually gettin to the point to where I would much rather be in the woods somewhere riding. Although i tell myself everyweek "im gonna go ride somewhere this weekend" that hardly ever happens. I prolly ride 3 days a week but its around the farm or at a buddies house. With bills coming in the mail everyday my days of filling the truck up and taking a trip to ride has dropped down to about 4 or 5 times a summer. We have a trip to hatfield every May that i will never miss even if its the only trip i take that whole year haha

Tommy Warren
04-20-2012, 04:28 PM
I've grown fond of just drag racing... I might start a local league out here and see how it does.... its still a good rush... its easier on equipment, and a lot cheaper to build

CJM
04-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Id probably race if I could afford it, been wanting to race a GNCC just for kicks but dont have the time really.

I find it more enjoyable to ride trails for fun, I mean we race eachother but its still for fun.

yellowzo3
04-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Good thread OP... was cool to read everyones stories...

I never got into racing... just hit the track for practices when I was younger. Was always going on some long adventure ride with the usual group of guys every weekend though. I knew I'd never be the fastest or best.. I just enjoyed building quads, wrenching on them, and then riding them on the weekends.

I eventually saw all the tracks around here either eliminating their quad scene or just shutting down altogether. That along with local trails disappearing FAST convinced me to sell my quad and get out of the sport. None of my friends took riding seriously either which added to that decision. It's hard to get motivated when you're the only one that wants to ride. If I had a place to park and didn't have to worry about getting hurt out there by myself I probably would have went out for an hour or two after work and stuff.

I haven't really looked back to be honest. I still browse the site because I've been checking in almost daily for years and its just cool to see whats going on. The sport keeps dipping further down though, so it doesn't even look like its worth getting back into. :ermm:

Just imagine if all of us on here lived in the same town? Motivation would be through the roof for all of us. Giant group rides, the sound of quads starting up well into the night after repairs, quads in pickups at every corner on a saturday morning heading to the trails... thats my kinda town!! :p haha just a small thought that popped into my head as I was typing

Tommy Warren
04-20-2012, 07:44 PM
I just hate the thought of spending all that time and thousands of dollars on nice plastics, wheels, a-arms, shocks and so on just to have some douche smash into you and wreck it all in one minute. I've seen the pictures of some of the quads that these guys build. They pour their entire life/savings into a completely personalized custom quad and then after a season of racing they have a dirty pile of damaged parts..... its actually sad to me.

turdboy
04-20-2012, 08:25 PM
It's crazy that a lot of you guys think the same way as me. I am 29 now and my view of racing has really changed. Back when I was in my early 20's I was fast, didn't have a care in the world, and really enjoyed racing. Now...I am 29, married, have a house, bills to pay, and thinking about having kids. When I get up on the line waiting for the gate to drop all those things come to mind and to me it's not worth the risk. So during the race I am thinking about breaking my leg or becoming paralized and it takes all the fun out of it, and as a result I end up finished poorly. I think what I enjoy more now is just wrenching, going trail riding, and when I am at the races I really like just talking quads with the guys. I am pretty much done now, hanging it up. Thinking about just getting a nice old ATC 200s and hanging wheelies on a Saturday.

Balaz_73*00
04-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Thats a good point turd, the thought of injury just takes the fun out of it. I feel lk ive had pretty good speed on the track the past few years, but the couple times ive rode this year i just dont feel comfortable pressing the limit like i used to. It almost makes me nervous. Catching a kicker off a jump, catching grip in a fast slide, randomly breaking something. All these things go through my mind as opposed to before when i never really thought of those things. I dono what it is..

Ruby Soho
04-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by gncc025
I used to be real heavy into quads from like 2000 up til 07. After that every year my motivation to ride just drops for some reason. I used to watched huevos 4 like 3 or 4 times a week :p . Im 25 now which I think is young but i believe since i started riding at such an early age im just flat out burnt. I rode just last weekend and it just isnt the same. no motivation what so ever :ermm:

thats how it is/was for me. i could hop on a quad right now, ride the piss out of it and enjoy it for alittle bit but after a day im over it. i do still enjoy it but i dont have that crazy need to ride anymore.

i do enjoy building bikes quads, or anything really though.

KingpinsEx
04-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Good thread BTW. Very intersting points of view, most of which I agree with. However, I have not decided to quit just yet. Despite recently having a very serious crash, I am still motivated to go out and race this year. I have alot to risk, just like everyone else but I figure I better do it now, because if you put it off you probably will never get back to it. I'm at the point now where the money has been spent, there really isn't anything else to do to my race quad other than repairs. I always wanted to do it when I was younger, but could never afford it. It's crazy that once I finally have gotten the ATV I always wanted, there are thoughts of slowing down. But thats the way it is, most of the kids out there that are really fast, have nothing to lose. They don't have to pay to fix stuff, or it won't be a problem if they are laid up. But there is a satisfaction about racing that I have never experienced doing anything else. The hours preparing, the hard work training, if it was easy everyone would do it. I guess I race because even after reading this whole thread, I still want to race. Is it cheap? No, but there is alot of other crap I could be spending my money on instead. Nothing is cheap these days and due to that I have even more respect for the guys the line up.

Going to new tracks with my buddies is a great experience. I am in my element and it seems like later in life, racers are the only ones who have their stuff together and will actually show up to ride. I just practiced the other day with a bunch of buddies and had a total blast. It's not just about the riding, just hanging out with like minded people. Plus it motivates me to stay in shape and not just give up and get a beer gut. You can look yourself in the mirror and know what kind of person you are. To me that is what makes it worth it.

selbygirl
04-21-2012, 08:44 AM
realy guys dont give up your pasion . a freind of mine past away last week she was fighting cancer for over 4 years, at a young age she always had a smile on her face living life to the fullest doing what she loved , life is short and it will pass you by, im not rich i live in a old farm house . i dont dump a lot of money in it . to me a house is just a place to eat and sleep, i dont race mx my love is surfing. but my son races mx started at 4 now he is 10 . and my whole family loves mx , there are great peaple in mx , and if you dont spend it racing your going to spend it some where else and you cant take it to the grave with you

HondaRacing83
04-21-2012, 12:57 PM
I pay for everything. I pay for repairs. I still go balls to the wall I just know my limits. I'm a pretty decent rider, not trying to be cocky but I'm fast in the woods. I push my limits but still know them. I try and improve my riding as much as I can everytime I ride. I try and be faster and faster. Being laid up bothers me sooooooo much! Last year I was wrenching on my 400 with a buddy and he smashed me pinky finger with a wrench. I went to the doctor, they said I needed surgery. Im like wtf its a pinky?! They said I fractured/smashed the growth plate and it was gonna grow sideways or something. Im like ok then.. I had surgery, then i was in a full cast for 4 weeks or 6 weeks i cant remember. But even that short amount of time just bothered me so bad. All I wanted to do was ride, go outside, do something!

zyoung04
04-23-2012, 02:12 AM
I never have raced a quad or bike but I raced go karts pretty competitively around here for about 3 or 4yrs and running 3 different tracks on 3 different days got to an expense with wear and tear on what we hauled it with oil in the kart which u had to change once a night and the most expensive thing was tires a set of whees and tires are about $400 a set a set will last u about a half season depended a lot on track conditions of course.....but in those things every ounce of hp counts my engine builder called one day wanting to put ceramic crank bearings in a cool cost of $300 and it would get me blasting 2/3rds of a hp and it just wasn't worth it to me I still have ny frame and all the wheels and tires but I sold the engine i just can't contend with guys who roll in a 30ft enclosed trailer with tires from tail gate to the front on both walls the sad thing is I could run with on any given night it was just a big money game and got burnt out on it

rollie
04-23-2012, 08:09 AM
I got out of racing last year because i was just burnt out, i hated getting everything ready, didnt have the motovation to do well at the races, i just liked to be there and hang out/help other people

I grew up a little i guess and decided id rather have a diesel truck and get into that scene, than racing, so i did exactly that, but always had an itch to get back into riding, for me there are no trails around to go explore, its just tracks, so i bought another quad and now i just go to open practices with it when i have time/money and i love it

Nac's22
04-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by rollie
I got out of racing last year because i was just burnt out, i hated getting everything ready, didnt have the motovation to do well at the races, i just liked to be there and hang out/help other people

I grew up a little i guess and decided id rather have a diesel truck and get into that scene, than racing, so i did exactly that, but always had an itch to get back into riding, for me there are no trails around to go explore, its just tracks, so i bought another quad and now i just go to open practices with it when i have time/money and i love it

I did the same exact thing and feel the exact same way. Also started riding trails again and I'm having more fun now riding then I did when I was racing. No pressure, just having fun now. Got a full time job and bills to pay, can't afford to get hurt. Ironicly I just broke my ankle Friday at work. Great plan right?

quad2xtreme
04-23-2012, 10:49 AM
I raced just to experience what it was like to be on the line with the nervousness, etc. I raced a total of 8-10 different days and 100% glad I did. In the end, the competitive spirit really wasn't there enough to continue racing but I am totally glad I experienced it.

Before any real injuries, I thought I could handle the worst and was willing to if it happened to me. That changed! I experienced a few injuries and the resulting recovery. I came to realize I doubted my strength to overcome the worst. Cody Will's accident had a huge impact on me and I've never even met him. Cody was going through the unimageable with a very positive outlook while I was having trouble coping with my own recovery which was minor in comparison. Perhaps when faced with his situation, you just rise to the occasion...I don't trust this is true in my case. I think in the event of a major accident, I would take the easy way out. So now, racing is just an experience to me...I have no desire to repeat the experience. I understand and applaud those who can do it and don't try to talk them out of it as I know when you have the right mindset for racing, nothing can change your mind. I wish I still had that mindset and strength but I don't.

Balaz_73*00
04-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Good read here, seem like its two sided. Pretty much the older crowd who has been there and done that, experienced it, and the younger guys who say they love the will do anything to keep it up. No offense to anyone, but just kind of shows how growing up changes the perspectives.

blaster12s
04-23-2012, 12:10 PM
i think the words gorwing up are not suited for this...growing old is more like it.

russellsroost31
04-24-2012, 08:45 AM
there is no reason and there never will be but i race cause im hooked on the adrenalin. i also love the feeling of flying through the air and going fast
i also love to heaar all the motors on the line right before the gate drops

sangheraent
04-24-2012, 03:04 PM
I read this thread and have been thinking about it for a week trying to figure out why I race.

I have no idea. I love the adrenalin rush I love competing against another person and winning when all I want to do is pass out from fatigue. I love knowing the fact that my friends can say/do and ride whatever they want and no matter how much they brag I can say lets take it to the track and my hard work and skills will shut them down.

I used to race dirt bikes I sucked at it, but compared to my friends I might as well be RC. I found that racing MX made me a better rider in trails, dunes pretty much everywhere.

I know why I don't always race, mostly because of money, I'm afraid of injury and its very time annoying to drive 7-8 hours have your bike break down and ride 2 laps.

I'm 25 years old I'm never going to be national champ but I'm in a touch football league and I'll be surprised if we win a game.

I do it because its a sport and I love it just like some people like football, soccer etc.

KingpinsEx
04-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Quad racers are passionate people. I think just about everyone knows a factory ride is out of the question. Shoot you see pros drop out every season. There is no career in it, but that's alright. It doesn't mean you can't have fun racing!

Tommy Warren
04-26-2012, 08:35 PM
I have crazy anxiety so I'll have a panic attack if the wind blows the wrong way... so I knew racing in front of a crowd of people was out of the question.... I have a hard time drag racing sometimes. but trail riding isn't a problem and its a major stress relief for me much like racing is for you guys. I can't be around crowds of people unless I'm drunk....and I probably wouldn't be a great drunk racer....I'd be good.... but not great:D

Pacheco_450r
04-26-2012, 09:12 PM
This is my first year that I have "somewhat" taken mx seriously. I have raced more races this year than other years combined and have enjoyed every minute of it! Although I'll still miss half of this years season I'll make as many races local and regional as I can and just have fun! I haven't gone all out putting money into my bike so it hasn't been too bad money-wise.

I've always been an energetic guy and riding/racing helps relieve a lot of stress for me. I know I'll never get completely serious into racing but so far I've had a great experience the past few years.

It's hard to beat that pounding in your chest right before that gate drops!

chronicsmoke
04-27-2012, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
I have crazy anxiety so I'll have a panic attack if the wind blows the wrong way... so I knew racing in front of a crowd of people was out of the question.... I have a hard time drag racing sometimes. but trail riding isn't a problem and its a major stress relief for me much like racing is for you guys. I can't be around crowds of people unless I'm drunk....and I probably wouldn't be a great drunk racer....I'd be good.... but not great:D

Hahaha I'd better see you line that Raptor up at North Augusta this year Tommy. Don't worry about the people, there aren't that many watching. Last year I got bumped into an inside hay bail right in front of the crowd and spilled everywhere.. Happens to everybody.

Tommy Warren
04-27-2012, 02:45 PM
I'll be there but I'm not sure if the bike will be done by then....but north augusta in june will be my bachelor party.... bring some booze:blah:

Balaz_73*00
04-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Bringing this back a year later as im 3 races into Indiana's IXCR series..This hobby is like crack.

I barely raced mx last year, said screw it and built a woods bike. Ive been having a blast so far this year. This thread came to mind sitting here at work pondering why Im at it again. CRACK is my only answer

Stickman400
04-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Glad you bumped this, it's a good read. I agree with everyone in here that said it's fun to race and get the adrenaline flowing and showing everyone what you can do, but it's deff. not worth traveling for and spending money that could go toward other more important things in life.

MX MaNiAc 06
04-25-2013, 07:00 AM
Good read!

Reminds me of a good quote from Weimer..
"Sometimes you feel like you're over it but in reality I don't think you are. All ive done growing up is ride, train and race. Once you take all 3 out of the equation, you kinda catch yourself being an @ss."

I'm 23 and this is my first year competitively in the points chase. Being in close 2nd in B class the pressure is on. But I also have a career where I can't be getting hurt. I've spoke with my competition and told them my situation and agreed if they're on my tail I will just let them by. It's not worth getting hurt over and most of them are in the same boat.

What makes me come back to each race is the people more than anything. I've made some life long friends the past couple years doing this and as of now it seems like every dollar invested is worth it. Next year I'll have to go to A class where they ride a little more reckless and I'm not sure how competitive I'll be with my "keep it safe" mindset. But as of now I'm loving it and for the last couple years my body can take it I'm going to give it my all with no regrets.

edwardsp&b
04-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Well.....This is an interesting thread, so I figured I would throw my .02 in......

As a kid, I always wanted to race. My dad wouldnt have even considered it, so we always had a hunting quad to ride like hell. I told myself that one day if I had a son that loved it as much as me, I would do everything in my power to let him race. Now I look back 5 quads, one motorhome and trailer, and 200,000 spent over the last few years and its still priceless. The memories and family bonds we have built over the years was well worth what I put into it.

Now that Im an adult, I introduced racing to my son at 6 and he took to it like he had been riding for years. Now he is 11 and last year was one of the fastest kids at Nationals. We came in 2nd after running the whole series a few years ago, and have run all the Nat's since. Not tooting my own horn, but my son is really talented. He is well known around this area, and around the country by other racers, dads, teams, and sponsors. His dream is to race proffesionaly, and we made the decision at the end of last year that it would never happen on a quad. So we switched to the darkside in Feb and have not looked back. He has really advanced fast on a dirtbike, and is now really getting comfortable riding the bike. It is a HUGE change, and the fundementals are completly backwards....Our goal is to line up with the nations best at Mini O's this year, and see where we are. I do however make sure that all the bikers we come in contact with know that we came from ATV's first, and they will always be our passion!

We loved ATV racing, we loved that families that we raced and camped with, and even liked the ones we wanted to beat on the track. But there is no future in ATV motocross. Heck, the fastest rider is even at Nat's this year. (Gibson) The numbers at Nationals this year dont lie, three years ago the starter class (50cc stock) had 19 riders. Round 1 the total was 7 and round 2 had less than that. Its an expensive but dying sport and I dont think that the series will be around much longer, and its sad because racing ATVs and the memories you make are wonderful things......

Bottom line though, we race because we love it!!!!!!!! 4wheels or 2 doesnt matter. Competition in life breeds success, the better the competition, the more succesfull you'll be!!!!
Bryan

Balaz_73*00
04-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Lets hear some more why you race stories! New season is underway..lets get you guys thinking

JAG Motosports
04-25-2013, 07:03 PM
I've raced motorcycles and quads both for the rush of the competion. I knew I was never goin to be anything more than a weekend warrior but still enjoyed every minute of it. Now I live threw my son's racing and at my age the only racing I do is to the bathroom :-/

DragonGunner
04-25-2013, 07:06 PM
I started racing MX at about age 40, then got into hare scrambles and Grand Prixs which are a 45 min. mix of XC and MX. Retired about 4 yrs. ago an did one race since then. I just like riding, not much on the jumps so MX tapered off there for me. I started cause a couple friends wanted me to race with them, great times an memories. Getting older I did get kinda burned out, but not from riding....we still ride ATC's for fun and quads too. Well at age 51 I decided to test myself this Sunday at the first GP of the yr. and my son who is 25 is going to compete with me, first time we raced together....its just going to be for fun (but I will trying to win), I just like riding and racing....but not as a pride thing, who try and show I'm better...seen those guys, got nothing in common with them...I get alot of satisfaction in having some good fun no matter how I place.....so wish this old man some luck this weekend, can't let the young kid beat me.....LOL.

chronicsmoke
04-26-2013, 05:44 AM
Good luck Gunner!

Jag that last sentence made me LOL!:p

Quinn4
04-26-2013, 08:15 AM
Great thread guys!!
Personally I never raced for most of the reasons others stated, money time parents etc lol. I do have 4 cousins who raced quads in northern WI and they traveled all over bought expensive quads with the best parts and had alot of success. My cousin Eric Zwirchitz use to get tore down every weekend because he was killing guys like Doug Gust.
Anyway they all loved it but the time comes when you know your done, I had the same feeling playing Football until my 3rd year of college and I was done with rugby after graduation. Your priorities change and your interests change to different things.
Now I love riding trails and tracks on my DS (nothing crazy) in the summer, snowmobiling in the winter, shooting and spending time with the family.
Racing is tough in any level cars, bikes quads etc, and the only guys who make ANY money are the top guys and they end up going into things that actually pay. For example Travis Pastrana, Brian Deegan, Jeremey McGrath and Ricky Carmichael. These guys dominated their sport and they had to move on to actually make money.
I know my thread went off on a bunch of different directions just typing as I think about it.

ALAMX37
04-26-2013, 04:03 PM
This question is oh so simple, we race because we have a fire and love for what we do. I raced every weekend year round for almost ten years, traveled Cali to New Hampshire, broke everything my body could handle. I loved it plain and simple. But my fire wore out, and since then i have done almost anything to get that feeling of coming off the gate beside 19 guys. I never count the dollars if it's clean fun, and I could probably buy a house with my bikes alone. I would do it all the same it's a major reason for the person I am today

CJM
04-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Always wanted to race, just dont have the time with going back to school, work and personal life. I work every saturday (cant get out of that really) and couldnt support the financial aspect of racing (traveling expenses). Im content just riding with my buddies and enjoying my time doing so.

zyoung04
04-27-2013, 12:14 AM
I raced dirt oval kart pretty competitively a few years back. Sometimes 2 & 3 nights a weekend, done that for a full year bouncing around here to 3 different tracks put alot miles on the truck which then gas wasn't bad like $2 something and the kart ran on alky and it was like $1.30. But after doin that for year I got kinda burnt out on it. Running 2 classes a night the wear and tear on everything it just got to be where it wasnt as much fun as it was. I wasn't in it for the money just basically bcuz it something I always wanted to do and it was a blast to do it just got to where it was like repetitive type deal, and I wasn't getting to do anything other than that. Except occasionally ride with the boys on a weekend day here and there. It was fun and I still have the burn for it but I wanna still do other things. Maybe when I slow down some ill take it up again. We built a lil play track in a friends yard for now that suits my need lol.