View Full Version : Hotcam

Threewits
04-18-2012, 04:41 AM
I am doing a ground up on a 400ex, and contemplating installing a HOTCAM. My motor is going to be stock internally otherwise and was wondering if anyone has personal experience, good or bad with this setup and wether you recommend stage I or stage II. I am not planning on racing this quad, just trying to come closer to keeping up with my Z400. Also, will this make drastic change in my fuel consumption? Any recomendations?

dxcody
04-18-2012, 07:13 AM
I have done a stage 1 and stage 2.

Honestly a stage 1 didnt feel like it did much, to me.

I would get a stage 2.

Wont hurt fuel consumption. Well it will have a little more power so you might be in the throttle a little more, but it wouldnt change your fuel enough to notice.

I have a 440 with some other mods and i can still ride for about 3 1/2 hours on 1 tank. Decently hard riding.

Threewits
04-18-2012, 08:18 AM
That is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

300exBorg
04-18-2012, 10:10 AM
I am thinking about doing the same thing. I would really like to get more bottom end torque since i do a lot of trail riding. There's not many places that I get to open it up in 5th gear where I live. Would a stage 1 or 2 be better for my specific situation? Also, is there anything I would have to change internally in my motor to go with this cam?

OP please don't think I'm trying to hijack your thread. Just kind of have close to the same questions as you did so I figured I'd hop on this thread instead of flooding the forum with two threads that are alike.

dxcody
04-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by 300exBorg
I am thinking about doing the same thing. I would really like to get more bottom end torque since i do a lot of trail riding. There's not many places that I get to open it up in 5th gear where I live. Would a stage 1 or 2 be better for my specific situation? Also, is there anything I would have to change internally in my motor to go with this cam?

OP please don't think I'm trying to hijack your thread. Just kind of have close to the same questions as you did so I figured I'd hop on this thread instead of flooding the forum with two threads that are alike.

Its your call, i mean a stage 1 is a solid choice cam. They work well with bone stock motors for low end, i however was just not impressed with the stage 1.

The stage 1 is basically going to improve your acceleration in your bottom end.

However, the stage 2 will improve bottom end, and top end.

My opinion stage 2. Guys with stage 1 love them, i just think the stage 2 is a more well rounded cam, and improves power through out the entire engine.

Another thing you can always try rather than switching cams, is sprocket sizes.

Its much cheaper than the cam.

When you change out a cam, its always a good idea to check a couple things before putting the new cam in.

1. Check your timing chain. If its a stock timing chain odds are its going to need replaced, they are known for stretching bad. Buy a crf450 timing chain to replace it with. I like the brand YBN other than OEM but either works.

2. Check your timing chain tensioner, Just to insure its working properly.

Other than that its a bolt on and go mod.

You will need to adjust your valves to compensate for the hotcam.

TheAwesomehonda
04-18-2012, 04:52 PM
dxcody is right i think.. I have only ran the stage two so i can't contrast them but i did gain some power with it mostly an the middle and high rpm. Also be prepared for it to tick all the time and that normal with the hot cams.

CJM
04-18-2012, 05:09 PM
My buddy runs a similar build to mine and has a stage 1 cam, in all honesty Ive ridden it and I feel its holding the quad back-but he likes it.

Mr-Sleeper-34
04-27-2012, 09:45 AM
- Stage 1 cams are more idea for stock motors though correct? I had plans of building my motor and had purchased a stage 2 cam, but I mainly trail ride so I didn't think it would be ideal for my mods.

LEXX muffler
Sparks key
Stock header welds removed

Mr-Sleeper-34
10-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
I have done a stage 1 and stage 2.

Honestly a stage 1 didnt feel like it did much, to me.

I would get a stage 2.

Wont hurt fuel consumption. Well it will have a little more power so you might be in the throttle a little more, but it wouldnt change your fuel enough to notice.

I have a 440 with some other mods and i can still ride for about 3 1/2 hours on 1 tank. Decently hard riding.

^Was this on a stock motor/stock compression? I thought the stage 1 would be better for stock compression? I had a stage 2, but sold it and got a stage 1 because I decided not to build my motor.

jman7290
10-13-2012, 06:30 AM
I would go with the stage 2, every stage 1 quad that I have rode has had awesome bottom end, but I had to shift through the gears prety quick. I love my stage 2, I forgot to check your accessory list, but I would also do the 11:1 compression piston, slip on / uni filter, and maybe even a timing advance key. I am not a Suzuki man, but those Z400 are damn fast right out of the box. Even with my mods, I had to change my gearing for more topend to keep my buddy off my arse!

Mr-Sleeper-34
10-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Wow lol. I guess I will post this for sell this week and go full circle back to a stage 2. I have a spraks key that is not recommended with high compression EDIT: (piston I had in mind), so that's the reason I went with the stage 1 to keep it simple, but I guess the spraks key should off set some of the low end lost if any to get the quad moving.

I read that it is more idea to do the cam before the spraks key to assure you are at TDC, so I'm going to do I that way.

04 400ex performance mods list (nothing installed yet)

LEXX muffler
Stock header jet coated with ported out welds
Spraks key
(Soon) stage 2 hot cam
I think I picked up a 155 or 158 main jet. It's been a while, so I need to double check. I just have parts piled up from when I bought the quad. I moved pretty quick on the build. My build thread has all the info.

Zakradu398
10-13-2012, 10:40 AM
My friend has a hc stage 1 stock piston and I have a stage 2 11:1 piston. I'm not sure if the piston is all of it but I have a lot more bottom end than him and demolish him on top.

jman7290
10-13-2012, 01:45 PM
I am not sure if I am reading your post correctly, but you do know the cam has nothing to do with your compression right? It's the piston that determines the compression.

Mr-Sleeper-34
10-13-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm sold on a stage 2. I figure with the sparks key bump in the timing, that low end should not be missed much. 1st gear on these quads are pretty short and strong, so I'm not worried about the low end any more. Once you get in the powerband, it should be all smiles from there.

@jman2790 - He just meant 11:1 for the piston I'm sure.

@Zakradu398 - I'm sure the piston has a lot to do with that. How hard was the piston install?

Zakradu398
10-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by jman7290
I am not sure if I am reading your post correctly, but you do know the cam has nothing to do with your compression right? It's the piston that determines the compression.

11:1 piston ;) I just meant i did both mods at the same time.

Mr-Sleeper-34
10-13-2012, 07:43 PM
After reading my other post, I think jman may have been talking about me and I can see how by the way I worded it, but I meant I was going to go stage 1, stock piston, and sparks key (for great low end) instead of stage 2 , 11:1 and no sparks key as that was another option.

CJM
10-13-2012, 07:53 PM
I did a sparks key in a friends 400. I honestly felt like it made little difference.

Do the hi-comp 11:1 you wont be disappointed. Stage 2 cam, 11:1 and open airbox make the 400 rip.

Cool Guy07400EX
10-17-2012, 03:42 AM
I got a stage 2 hotcam for sale if anyone wants it! Used for less than 3 hours. Went to a stage 3. 60 bucks shipped!

Mr-Sleeper-34
10-17-2012, 09:19 AM
- Do you still have the box and paper work that comes with the cam? Post a pic. I think I want it, dibs.

Cool Guy07400EX
10-17-2012, 02:00 PM
I got it all man! Even the original wrapping and the little tag they put on the cam. I don't have a great picture at the moment but here is the one I have. If you need more let me know.
Nevermind it won't let me attach it. Give me your phone or email in a pm and ill send it that way. Thanks!

Mr-Sleeper-34
10-17-2012, 03:27 PM
PM sent....