PDA

View Full Version : should i get a 400ex?

mad-atver
04-17-2012, 08:03 PM
are stock 400ex's powerful because, i i'd be switching from a sportsman 500 and i'd like a bit more power. how are they for power compared to other atv's. should i get one?

Drfat400ex
04-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Well they sure have more power than a sportsman, Myn would pull up in 2nd completely stock. That's pretty damn good I think, they're pretty fast too. And you can beat the living hell out of it and it just wont die.

CJM
04-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Its not gonna ride at all like a utility quad, there will be noticeably more power and much better handling t

han any utility can really dream of. The 400ex in stock form is decently powerful, it wont win any races vs the newer machines but it makes up for it by being very nimble and easy to throw around on the trails and racing.

While its not the latest and greatest out there anymore it has some good things going for it:

Pros
-Very easy to find parts for
-Super reliable and easy to work on
-Excellent weight and handling
-Decent power, its no 450 but it will keep up with them just fine on the trails
-handles very well, these machines are light and slide and can rip around with ease.

Cons
-Suspension is ok at beast, front shocks stink if you ever plan on jumping it and like all sport quads the rear suspension is not setup very good for very bumpy terrain. This is easily remedied by putting some honda 450r shocks on the front and reworking the rear shock. However most find it ok for them.
-most of them since they are older are abused and used, finding a good one for a good price can be tough

Thats a 400EX in a nutshell, imho they are worth the money for anyone wanting a decently powerful sport quad that they dont intend to race on.

300exBorg
04-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Go for it man, you won't be let down. 400ex is an awesome general use machine. I would try and find one that is completely stock and not beat up. That's what I did, I looked for a good 4 months or so and finally found a 2003 that was completely stock (so i know the motor has not been messed with) and the person use it to ride down to the lake down the road to go fishing LOL. After owning it for a little while I am very pleased with it.

mad-atver
04-18-2012, 04:21 PM
i hear of people trading them for 450s are they pretty underpowered compared to a 450? cause there is mostly wide open where i live, will they spin tires just as good?

TheAwesomehonda
04-18-2012, 04:35 PM
CJM is exactly right about the pros and cons... and i like 300exBorg idea of looking for a lightly used stock 400ex and building it yourself.. Thats what i'm in the procese of doing. No a ex will not keep up with any 450 in wide open land if the ex is stock.

jgar
04-18-2012, 05:37 PM
In the woods a ex is just as fast as any other quad because the terrian will dictate speed reguardless of the machine. But in the wide open areas the *average* ex is slow compared to other sport quads.
I ride with 2 friends who have 700xx. One is stock and one is built to the hill. Even tho they have IRS I can pull on them in the tight trails. But when we hit the open areas they are so far infront of me the dust has already settled.
The best thing the ex has going for it is its super reliable and fairly light. I ride my 02 hard, the motor is stock and still showing no sighns of needing a rebuild!!!
I would look at raptor 660-700, 700xx and 450's. Just my 2 cents.

james1300
04-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Following the OP's origional theme, would a TRX400EX (05')
make a good 1st Quad?
I have 30 years of Dirt and Street skills.
I have ridden others Quad's. Never owned my own.

300exBorg
04-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
CJM is exactly right about the pros and cons... and i like 300exBorg idea of looking for a lightly used stock 400ex and building it yourself.. Thats what i'm in the procese of doing. No a ex will not keep up with any 450 in wide open land if the ex is stock.

Exactly, that's the best way to go in my opinion. That way you get to setup everything exactly how you want it the first time. In my area there is a very big demand for completely stock bikes and they actually seem to go for more money too.

A 400ex will get smoked by a 450r there's no doubt about it in my opinion. But if you're in the woods riding trails and stuff you're rarely going to get out of 3rd gear (at least that's how it is around here) so a 400 will keep up with a good amount of quads. A 400ex that is done right will have more than enough power for what I need it for. I like the 450r's a lot but they just seem like they're an insane amount of maintenance. Not too sure if this is true or just rumors though.

mad-atver
04-19-2012, 11:23 AM
so, other then the 400ex which sport quad has the lowest maintenance?

chronicsmoke
04-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by 300exBorg
I like the 450r's a lot but they just seem like they're an insane amount of maintenance. Not too sure if this is true or just rumors though.

Mostly just rumors circulating from misinformed members in this forum.. lol:p

dxcody
04-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Deff rumors.

No more maintenance than a 400ex other than radiator fluid.

06+ 450r's are known to need the valves adjusted a little more than the 04-05 but nothing major.

Rohr397
04-19-2012, 01:21 PM
I have had the 400ex and the 450r. I did not notice much of a difference at all in power. The 450r had a little more top end but that was all. As long as you put a little bit into the motor the 400ex can hold it's own against a 450 unless you're going off of top speed. You might be a gear higher but you can ride just as fast.

Both are very reliable! Obviously the 400ex is more reliable than the 450r but either way you shouldn't have problems if you get a nice clean one that hasn't been abused.

I'm probably going to start something for saying this but you might consider the 250r as well. They take a little more to maintain but they're more simple to work on. I personally love them for the power/weight ratio and great handling but there seems to be a lot of 400ex guys who hate 250r's and vice versa.

chronicsmoke
04-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Rohr397
I personally love them for the power/weight ratio and great handling but there seems to be a lot of 400ex guys who hate 250r's and vice versa.

No hate from me, I love the 250r. SO SIMPLE!

The cons from the 250 are mixed gas, and always jetting to compensate for the air temp/altitude.

You cant pick them up cheap though.. and they are never going to sepreciate in value..:cool:

Rohr397
04-19-2012, 02:09 PM
That's weird! I can pick up a stock, original owner 250r between 2k and 3k and even built ones are in that range! The only 250r's over 3k are full Laegar/Walsh builds.

jgar
04-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by mad-atver
so, other then the 400ex which sport quad has the lowest maintenance?

I think if you are looking at stock machines honda, suzuki and yamaha are all rather comparable imho. I would try to steer clear of any popo. I cant speak to the can am 450 but their 4x4 quads are rather impressive. I like to borrow my buds renegade 800x. It takes a fair amount of maintenance because with all of that power things seem so break rather easy if you are not carefull. But when you hit the gas on that machine you better hold on tight because you are going for a ride.

CJM
04-19-2012, 06:53 PM
The 450 class machines are excellent either way, yea they do require a bit more to maintain them-but nothing major. Im a honda guy thru and thru, I highly dislike the older YFZ's due to the oiling problems in the crankcase as well as what imho is a needlessly complicated dual cam setup. Stock for stock a YFZ and 06+ 450r are near bout the same power wise as well. The one buddy with the YFZ got a power commander and exhaust and the other guy has an HRC and exhaust 450r. Both bikes are new-they are still dead even pretty much.

As far what I would buy-400ex hands down unless you need the power of the 450r. Coming from a utility will be a learning expierance and the power of the 450 isnt really utilized unless your on a track or drag racing. Friend of mine has a worked 06 450r with a stroker crank and big bore kit, yea its FAST but I can still easily keep up with him on the trails-comes down to rider ability really.

300exBorg
04-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
Deff rumors.

No more maintenance than a 400ex other than radiator fluid.

06+ 450r's are known to need the valves adjusted a little more than the 04-05 but nothing major.

Yeah I kind of had a gut feeling it was just a rumor which is why I added that into my post. Adjusting valves is not a major task at all so if that's the biggest maintenance issue then I would say it's a pretty easily kept machine LOL.

300exBorg
04-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Rohr397
I have had the 400ex and the 450r. I did not notice much of a difference at all in power. The 450r had a little more top end but that was all. As long as you put a little bit into the motor the 400ex can hold it's own against a 450 unless you're going off of top speed. You might be a gear higher but you can ride just as fast.

Both are very reliable! Obviously the 400ex is more reliable than the 450r but either way you shouldn't have problems if you get a nice clean one that hasn't been abused.

I'm probably going to start something for saying this but you might consider the 250r as well. They take a little more to maintain but they're more simple to work on. I personally love them for the power/weight ratio and great handling but there seems to be a lot of 400ex guys who hate 250r's and vice versa.

I would absolutely LOVE to pick up a 250r. I have been wanting a 2 stroke Honda quad for a little while now. Too bad there's absolutely NONE of them around here.....

chronicsmoke
04-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by 300exBorg
I would absolutely LOVE to pick up a 250r. I have been wanting a 2 stroke Honda quad for a little while now. Too bad there's absolutely NONE of them around here.....

There is all kinds of them up here, but most are mostly stock beat-up rides that look like shyte.. There are some diamonds in the rough though.. I made out good when I got mine (less than 1500 into it :p long story)

They require the BARE minimum to maintain. just jetting and the occaisional (and much cheaper than a 4T) top end. Obviously bearing/bushings/oil also.. They are cheaper to get power with (respond to mods better) Nothing is more fun to ride imo.

That being said, the OP coming off a 500 Sportsman, I think the 400ex would benifit him the most.

mudder67
04-20-2012, 01:11 PM
^ I'm in love with that thing lol. Would love to have one of them.

Rohr397
04-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Were getting rid of our banshee to pick one of those up sometime this month! So stoked!!!