PDA

View Full Version : Choke removal

05DodgeDakota
04-16-2012, 05:10 AM
Since we were talking about the free mod of grinding the header welds out, which I have already done, I've decided to remove my choke as well. Ever since my rebuild, my quad starts very easily even if it's been sitting for a week. One pump of the throttle and it starts first try every time. Funny enough I figured that my higher comp piston and larger bore and cam would have made it harder. Any other free or very cheap performance mods? I've also been thinking about making a custom slipon from the stock one by gutting it and shortening it...

russellsroost31
04-16-2012, 06:47 AM
u might as well just buy a slip on i mean u cant just go cheap on everything

05DodgeDakota
04-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Well money just doesn't allow right now casue I'm building a house. But I like the idea of keeping a stock loookig pipe for that sleeper look.

dxcody
04-16-2012, 12:09 PM
more of a question than a answer but,

Can you make a shorty out of a stock pipe? How would you pack it?

If you can thats sweet !

russellsroost31
04-16-2012, 02:36 PM
i dont think u can
ive never heard of or seen one

05DodgeDakota
04-16-2012, 02:46 PM
You can make anything

honda400ex2003
04-16-2012, 03:22 PM
theres no packing in the stocker cod, it has baffle chambers in it instead. then the end cap is the final restrictor with the core and the screen.

you could cut it back to one of the baffle chambers, then put the end cap on there with a new hole in the middle or you could cut and weld the regular end on the baffle part if you wanted to.

either way its still a stock exhaust lol you could run a half inch hole saw bit through the end cap, that wouldnt make it sound dumb with the loud pop i dont think and it would a little bit freer flowing than having all of the guts in the end. imo that would be better than completely cutting all of it off of the cap and running just that. the chambers enable it to come out straighter though the tube than it does trying to get out the end of the cap by itself. the gases could escape out from both the sides and the middle instead of bouncing around the chamber until they finally exit through the small hole. it can collect more gases with the end on it.

steve

TheAwesomehonda
04-16-2012, 04:43 PM
I've heard of people having starting troble with no choke but if your in florida it probobly wont be a problem. Also the hot cams do make it alittle harder for the engine to turn over b/c they don't have a compression release but if you've got a good battery you don't notice it.

05DodgeDakota
04-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
I've heard of people having starting troble with no choke but if your in florida it probobly wont be a problem. Also the hot cams do make it alittle harder for the engine to turn over b/c they don't have a compression release but if you've got a good battery you don't notice it.

I always keep my battery fully charged. When it's in the garage the battery tender is hooked up to it.

The 08+ cams do not have the compression release anyways, and it was useless on all the 400ex. It was just a leftover from the design for the kickstart xr400s. No need at all with electric start.

But like I said my valves are adjusted perfectly, I run a 42 pilot, and even when I was in georgia when it was below freezing, with one pump of the throttle my quad starts up everytime. Haven't used the choke since before the rebuild.

honda400ex2003
04-16-2012, 07:54 PM
the 42 is def the way to go if you take it out.

i made mine a summer only mod when i did it, it was just easier to start it when really cold with it on there.

it is a decent free mod though :) that with a sparks key, filter, and a slip on and its a different machine if its still stock.

steve

TheAwesomehonda
04-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by 05DodgeDakota
I always keep my battery fully charged. When it's in the garage the battery tender is hooked up to it.

The 08+ cams do not have the compression release anyways, and it was useless on all the 400ex. It was just a leftover from the design for the kickstart xr400s. No need at all with electric start.

But like I said my valves are adjusted perfectly, I run a 42 pilot, and even when I was in georgia when it was below freezing, with one pump of the throttle my quad starts up everytime. Haven't used the choke since before the rebuild. Hmm i didn't know they got rid of the compression release on the stock cams. I can tell the difference without it if my battery is ran down but it isn't even ran down unless i'm having problems with starting.

05DodgeDakota
04-23-2012, 05:33 PM
okay last night I removed the butterfly and choke lever but can't find where the clip is to remove the rod the butterfly is attached to? Also did the snorkel delete with a spray paint can lid, worked nicely! And I lowered my main to a 180, threw in a new plug, and changed the oil and filter. Gonna take a look at the valves this week if I get time. Most likely gonna be hanging it up for awhile while we move and get situated in the new house over the next 2 months.

Any help with the choke will be great!

JOHNDOE83
04-23-2012, 06:57 PM
I ran a 42 pilot with the choke removed for a long time and never needed the choke even if it sat for a month, I also live in FL.

The rod will come apart easily once you figure it out, I looked at it for a few days before I finally got mine out. I believe the cap pop's off on one side then it slides out, it's been a few years since I did it so I could be under rating it.

I'll look at it and try to find out.

The choke removal actually does add a nice inexpensive power upgrade, you should also ditch your oil catch to.

05DodgeDakota
04-23-2012, 07:13 PM
I was thinking about that, but wasn't sure if it needed the vacuum of the intake to work. Guess I'll go buy a breather filter and something to block that hole. What did you use?

JOHNDOE83
04-23-2012, 07:46 PM
I used a piece of rubber automotive type hose that fit into the hole snuggly, then I put a bolt that lightly threaded into the hose hole for a solid base to clamp to, then I added a hose clamp and everything worked out great.

I used some copper tubing to clamp the breather filter to the EX breather hose and black zip tied it to the subframe.

05DodgeDakota
04-23-2012, 09:57 PM
not quite following you, maybe some pics would help?...

Rohr397
05-03-2012, 10:57 AM
I've got the choke removal mod and a bored carb, it's easy to start and I live in WA. I'm curious what exactly the choke removal mod does for power, it definitely works but I've never understood the logic behind it.

JOHNDOE83
05-05-2012, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Rohr397
I've got the choke removal mod and a bored carb, it's easy to start and I live in WA. I'm curious what exactly the choke removal mod does for power, it definitely works but I've never understood the logic behind it.

The choke is a bar and a plate that sits in the center of the carb port, the carb obviously sucks air threw the port. The bar and plate are restricting air flow by not being aero dynamic, its like plumbing, when the pipes are clean they flow freely and when something gets stuck it restricts flow.

If you think of a carb being like a pipe that flows air, the choke bar and plate are something stuck in the pipe restricting flow.

When its removed the flow improves, you see the most gain at half to wide open throttle when the air flows the fastest with the most force, with the plate in place it cant flow as easily.

Take a shop vac and put it on blow instead of suck...lol. and while its blowing air stick your finger across the hose like the bar in the carb and youll see the diference in the airflow.

Rohr397
05-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Gotcha that makes sense, I've never worked inside the 400ex carb so I had no idea.