PDA

View Full Version : Foot Peg Redesign

PRODUCTDESIGNER
04-16-2012, 01:01 AM
Hello,

I'd like to ask if anyone ever considered a different peg design.
I'm a senior student at The Art Institute of Portland, Or and i'm conducting research on people that ride sport atvs. Your input would make my world go round :)

If you would be so kind to share your experience with your foot peg.
What does your foot do while riding different terrain?
What modifications have you done to your peg or would like to do?
What different look, design, features might be better than current pegs?

beastlywarrior
04-16-2012, 02:07 PM
You want something with a good base to keep your foot planted. Something wide with aggressive teeth and teeth in between really help too. I came up with a design that rode on rubber elastomers kinda like the precision handlebar mounts

PRODUCTDESIGNER
04-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Thank you for your input!
Are you related to the idea of the Houser Pro Bounce Nerf Bars with the Suspension Foot Peg?

beastlywarrior
04-18-2012, 03:49 PM
I think the houser has a pivot which im not a fan of. Id like one that just rides on rubber elastomer

Shawthy33
04-19-2012, 11:41 AM
I'd take a look at a few of the different designs for flat mountain bike pedals. Some of the technology is there to keep feet mounted on a pedal that is constantly moving i.e. pedaling.

They have adjustable screws for grip and traction that is genius and replacable.

Also, they use different concave and convex designs to mate with the curve of the balls of your feet. Obviously Dirtbike/Quad pegs are more planted under your forefoot but the design thought is there.

Sounds like a fun project. I have AC nerf bars that come with a very simple spiked peice of stainless that is the footpeg and bolts to the nerf. I have planned on designing a new peice to bolt on since the design is relatively simple. It would be a fun thing to check out.

PRODUCTDESIGNER
04-22-2012, 10:59 PM
I agree. The pivot is not very ergonomic. The motion is one directional and a riders foot is definitely not. I talked to a Houser rep. and she said that the elastomer is in that particular area because the rider foot is most of the time there, especially during hard impacts such as landing or casing.

PRODUCTDESIGNER
04-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Yeah bike pedals are pretty functional. I found convex pedals hold my foot better than any other. The foot has the capability to grasp somewhat like a hand and its natural. If the pedal promoted that, then i believe maximum grippage is achieved.
Oh and replaceable pins instead of replaceable pedals? Who doesn't love that?

I looked up the ac nerfs. Those pegs are simple. What in particular did you want to design or bolt on?

Shawthy33
04-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by PRODUCTDESIGNER

I looked up the ac nerfs. Those pegs are simple. What in particular did you want to design or bolt on?

My hope was to put a pattern together to have a more staggered and spiked peg. Comparing the AC's to the Rath Pro Pegs:

AC's:
Wide & Flat, solid upgrade over stock, small upturn on end
http://www.magicracing.com/assets/images/Nerf%20Bars/ACRacePro.jpg

Rath:
Wide, Flat, three level turn-up as peg goes outward, spikes all the way
http://www.allmotodepot.com/image/show/20068

Both pegs bolt on, the pattern would be a simple card-board thing then cut out on a Water-jet with a sheet of stainless. I have three buddies all with AC nerfs and 400ex's and one with access to a water-jet at work, hoping to do this soon.

PRODUCTDESIGNER
04-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Yeah i agree those stock pegs are a joke. You are right about staggering the teeth on your new and improved peg.

If you notice the bike pedals pins are about an inch apart. This allows the shoe to sink down into the areas where there are no pins and where there is one its almost sunk into the shoe, surprised i dont have holes from them.

When there are so many teeth in close proximity the shoe just glides on top of all the points and has nowhere to sink in.

In my redesign i'm also raising the upturn to fully except a foot planted on it side ways during hard turns. Don't know if its necessary but worth considering.

Customizing is fun! I'm glad that you're taking care of that stock peg, its pointless. Have fun with coming up with a design that works :)

coryatver
04-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Also things to consider is the peg position. I like the peg to be lower and back farther than stock. The best positon would depend on the model of atv. Also it would be better if the peg was made of a material that if you hit something when racing it is soft enough to bend instead of break off or even be so strong you snap the bolts. You can finish the race on a bent peg but not without one at all. Wider than stock, teeth or something that functions to give you grip even when muddy or wet. And kicked up on the outside so that you can lean into the peg if needed

PRODUCTDESIGNER
04-29-2012, 09:35 PM
A lower center of gravity, brilliant! Yes yes, something that doesnt get clogged. Grip during wet conditions a must! Sweet input thanks a lot!