PDA

View Full Version : race harness or modification

DoonRider
04-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Does anyone make a race harness for 250R's or is anyone interested in modifying my stock one for a reasonable fee? You would need to have the ability to test it first.

I took a working 89 harness, cut off the taillight tail and taped each wire dead (4 green and 1 brown), unplugged the regulator, unplugged the OEM light/kill switch...
Wired in a tether to the keyed inginition wires, wired a kill switch into the tail for the OEM kill switch and now I have no spark.

I plugged my motor into my old 87 harness and it sparks fine.
coil is fine
CDI is fine
ground is fine
unplugged all kill switch and tether sitch. Still no spark.

Or what did I do wrong?

Any help will be much appreciated.

DoonRider
04-15-2012, 07:53 AM
I think I am getting it figured out. One of the several green wires running to the taillight actually comes right off the coil and I had it taped off dead. I think i need to put an end on that graound it to the frame right in front of the coil. I haven't tested yet, but now I have all the tape pulled off everything, I have another question...

The White wire yellow stripe from the stator - does that need to be plugged in. Without lights I don't think so, but I am not sure if it is necessary to close a circuit or something?

DnB_racing
04-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by DoonRider
I think I am getting it figured out. One of the several green wires running to the taillight actually comes right off the coil and I had it taped off dead. I think i need to put an end on that graound it to the frame right in front of the coil. I haven't tested yet, but now I have all the tape pulled off everything, I have another question...

The White wire yellow stripe from the stator - does that need to be plugged in. Without lights I don't think so, but I am not sure if it is necessary to close a circuit or something? here is a link to different combinations of cut race harness

I think your looking to do the one with auxillary curcuits completly removed for good, (the one with the yellow/white wire, and regulator removed)

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=49

DoonRider
04-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I remember there was a good discussion and illustrations about harnesses but my computer won't let me open that link. I get a pop up about a trojan virus and then my computer goes into a cleaning frenzy.

I will try to open it at work. Until then, if you get a chance, please confirm that it is OK that the white/yellow wire isn't plugged into the lead from the stator.

Fun learning something new, but I hate learning at the expense of my parts, if you know what I mean.:ermm:

DnB_racing
04-16-2012, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by DoonRider
Thanks for the reply.
I remember there was a good discussion and illustrations about harnesses but my computer won't let me open that link. I get a pop up about a trojan virus and then my computer goes into a cleaning frenzy.

I will try to open it at work. Until then, if you get a chance, please confirm that it is OK that the white/yellow wire isn't plugged into the lead from the stator.

Fun learning something new, but I hate learning at the expense of my parts, if you know what I mean.:ermm: you wont need the white/yellow wire from your stator, also you wont need the regulator, those are both for lights

the link goes to the sticky at the top with mods, there is a link to a schematic post with different combinations of a couple ways to cut a harness for different needs