PDA

View Full Version : wrong jets or dirty carb

jgar
04-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Hey guys, this winter I did a lot of work to make my ex tight again. During the process I put on a uni filter, removed the welds from the header and rejetted the carb. The jets are a 42 and 152. I dont have a pipe or motor work and Iam at 1500 feet. So I just finished putting everything together and went to tune the cab. Here is the problem it wont idle without the choke on and when I ride it after 1/4 throttle it boggs and falls flat. I also played with the F/A screw, 2-3 turns out with no change in the way it runs. Right now the F/A screw is 2.75 turns out, checked the plug and its rich. What do you guys think?

JOHNDOE83
04-14-2012, 06:16 PM
To me it sounds like a clogged pilot jet, if it sat for any amount of time with gas in it after you did the rebuild stuff that may be the issue.

The 42 pilot is generally used in conjunction with choke removal, with the choke removed at idle it will be slightly leaner, so we bump it up to a 42 so we no longer need the choke.

With the choke in place there is a chance it is to rich from it still being there with a 42 pilot.

Since you need the choke to idle, I would say its to lean from the pilot possibly being clogged.

Try to remove the pilot jet again and see if you can blow through it freely, if not youll need to clean it out and your issue will be solved.

Also if the a/f screw has no effect the pilot may be clogged.

Drfat400ex
04-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Well the plug is going to tell you rich if you run it with the choke on alot, but it sounds like a dirty carb, your main might be a size too big but that wouldn't affect 1/4 throttle where your bog is. Your needle position should be at stock 3rd notch, if it's at that then I would try cleaning it.

dxcody
04-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Pull your airbox lid off and see what happens.

jgar
04-14-2012, 06:31 PM
The needle is on the stock setting. I put sea foam in the fuel but it was not run since november. I'll pull and clean the carb tomorrow. I want to keep my choke because I ride all winter most years. Would I be better off with a 40 pilot?

jgar
04-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Cody, I tried that to see what would happen. Nothing changed.

JOHNDOE83
04-14-2012, 06:33 PM
If still nothing changed its a dirty carb for sure.

jgar
04-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Thats what I was hoping for. Thanks