PDA

View Full Version : play in rear axle

mudder67
04-14-2012, 02:10 PM
I have a aftermarket bearing carrier with the dual bearings and all. I just changed them out a few weekends ago but my rearend still has a little play in it. And its like my brake rotor is loose also. I can push the rotor back and forth like it wants to spin on it. What would be the cause of the rear end having play even with new bearings and my rotor doing that. Thanks in advance.

Scro
04-14-2012, 02:36 PM
It sounds like the splines on the axle could be where the play is coming from.

BeefySTi
04-14-2012, 02:44 PM
my rotor has a little wiggle in it too. I have never noticed any ill effects from it. and it doesnt seem to move when I roll the rear wheels. I have to grab it and apply a good amount of pressure to it for it to move...

dxcody
04-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Mine wiggles back and forth, it SHOULDNT but it does and my axle nut is tight.

I think my splines are gettting worn out like scro mentioned.

Ill be getting a Tusk here soon anyways.

buck440
04-14-2012, 08:08 PM
same here too. it won't effect the bearings at all. what sucks is that eventually the splines will slip and will ruin the rotor hub and axle. when i had my 400ex it was a 2004 and had slack in it when i sold it in 09.

my point is, is that it could last quite a while like that.

beastlywarrior
04-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Yep happed on one of our warriors. Destroyed the splines. We just ended up putting a nice weld on it since it doesnt have to come off anyway

Stickman400
04-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Mine also has play in the rotor. But I have a fairly new Durablue axle and a brand new locknut/brake hub that is easy as chit to tighten and it still wiggles when I get the locknut as tight as possible. I guess I'll just assume that my junk Durablue is the problem. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

dxcody
04-14-2012, 10:40 PM
I had a Durablue also stickman, i didnt care for the way i broke the sprocket hub one day... I was even running a skid plate.. And of course they make them oversized so you have to buy their $130 hub instead of any old hub.......... :cuss:

mudder67
04-20-2012, 08:47 AM
And how tight do you tighten the axle nuts? Until they hit the brake rotor and all or ?? Does anyone have a pic of there rearend where the nut is in the place it should be when tightened. Sorry for all the questions

Scro
04-20-2012, 09:19 AM
I usually get it as tight as I can with a 12" wrench. You don't want to use a cheater bar or anything on it. This will put excessive force on the bearings and cause premature wear. I usually wrap mine in electrical tape afterwards to keep it from loosening.

mudder67
04-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Is that all the way to the brake hub assembly

NacsMXer
04-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by mudder67
Is that all the way to the brake hub assembly

Yes, you want the threaded collar of the axle lock nut to be butted up against the brake hub.