View Full Version : Hatfield McCoy Trails

mx8
04-14-2012, 09:20 AM
I am planning a trip to the Hatfield McCoy Trails. What is the closest trail head, from zanesvills ohio. Any info would be great. I am also going to check out there web site. But I thought I would start here first. Thanks

OldGuyonaQuad
04-14-2012, 10:03 AM
If you are going to drive that far to ride, then turn around and ride all day, what difference does it make? They are all within couple of hours of each other and some have links from one trail system to the other.

I would suggest studying each of the trail systems to find out what best suits the needs of your group. Rockhouse is the biggest, Bear Wallow has the highest % of trails rated as difficult.

We did Rockhouse last June, it was a great trip, the locals are awesome, it's nice to feel welcomed and appreciated rather then the undesirable scurge that we off roaders are often treated as.

Just so you know you arent going to spend much time in 4th or 5th gear, it's a constant grind of ascending or descending turns, but again it is beautiful.

mx8
04-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Rockhouse sounds like what we would be looking for. We don't want 4th gear trails or big hills. Just a nice relaxing all day trail ride. Thanks for the info.

chucked
04-17-2012, 12:41 PM
I like Rockhouse the best, Have been to little coal river, bearwallow, and pinnacle creek as well. Little coal river is pretty fast paced. Rockhouse is the biggest, has lots of hills and scenic views. They are opening a new trail system on memorial day. They are also connecting bearwallow and rockhouse soon. The town that bearwallow is in has some crazy looking dilapidated buildings in it, very creepy. I like staying in Gilbert the best.

blacknblue#2
04-17-2012, 03:00 PM
If I didn't know any better I would say me and chucked was the same person locked in different bodies haha. I've rode every open trailsystem and rockhouse is without a doubt my favorite. We are going to rockhouse in a month (may 17 to 20). When we ride rockhouse we always stay in Gilbert at fox atv lodge. Gilbert has a great enviroment and wonderful pol. And a couple decent food joints which is kinda few and far between down there. So if your makin the trip just go the distance and go to Gilbert. You won't regret it

chucked
04-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Friends stayed at fox's before, its a very nice place. Ive also stayed at the browning fork trail house, very nice there as well.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by mx8
Rockhouse sounds like what we would be looking for. We don't want 4th gear trails or big hills. Just a nice relaxing all day trail ride. Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
It's a constant grind

Nowhere in my post did it say the words nice and or relaxing let alone one following the other ;).

Make no mistake about it, this is a work out. Consider I might be twice your age and in 1/2 the shape you are in but by the time we got from the connector trail in Gilbert back down to the parking lot for Rockhouse our @$$es were kicked and we took the 10 mile ride back on the highway ;)

We stayed at the Little Bear lodge, if we go back we might try the Big Bear lodge as it gives more privacy backing up to the woods rather then the bank drive thru(which no lie goes into the woods lol). It's owned by Tina, her brother John owns the campgroud on the way to Rockhouse that hosts "dirt Days" in June and I think he runs "Trailfest" in October as well.

If you go to the restuarant at the foot of the connector trail DO NOT ORDER THE SPECIAL, GET THE BURGER. Burger was great, special not so special.

hocman123
04-17-2012, 06:02 PM
i was on the bearwallow and rockhouse. bearwallow i think was more built for a 4 wheel drive atv bc the trails i was on was so full of rocks most of it u could barely ride with my 400ex and the next day we had to buy a small sledge hammer and rod to bend the skid plates on all 3 quads back out. the town that was on that trail was preddy dumpy and had no parking really bc they were all metered and when we stopped in a empty lot a cop told us we couldnt park there.

but Rockhouse on the other hand was a great ride that after 2 days there i proberly didnt see half of it. the towns were really nice to be in and i am really looking forward to going back there

blacknblue#2
04-17-2012, 11:30 PM
The thing that sells me on the rockhouse is that it can be whatever you want it to be. We get on some trails where I am 4th and 5th gear on the bike just about all it will run. and if we wanna change the pace some we can check the map, find the nearest black trail and before you know it we are down to a crawling speed climbing up a mountain goat path.......Anyone been there recently know if the trail 12 connector into gilbert is open yet...My brother was down there in the fall and said they re-routed it out onto RT. 10 temporairly due to landslides or something??

rundrave
04-18-2012, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by chucked
Ive also stayed at the browning fork trail house, very nice there as well.

I have also staye at the Browning fork trail house. Marty is an awesome guy and we had a blast staying there. And the access to the trails is right there.

400exc
04-19-2012, 05:18 AM
I went to Rockhouse and stayed at Fox's. Nice place and nice people.