PDA

View Full Version : KX250 Engine Problem

rooster300ex
04-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Yesterday I was riding. I wasn't dogging it or anything, But after about an hour I noticed when I would rev the engine it would make a click sound as it was winding down from being revved. It does it in gear or in neutral. I'm for sure its coming from the top end. Also there is no noticeable power loss cuz I went and ran it one last time, and it ran the same. Any ideas??

I'll give an example. Say I was going along in the woods, and it opened up to a big area I would go WOT for just a few seconds and let off, and as the engine winds down it will make the click noise alil before idle. I wish I had a video camera. I'll see if I can obtain one somehow.

KXRida
04-14-2012, 10:45 AM
hard to say, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the top end. I'm not sure, but do those motors run powervalves?

rooster300ex
04-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
hard to say, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the top end. I'm not sure, but do those motors run powervalves?

Yes it has powervalves. I have no engine experience. I always have somebody do my engine work for me.

KXRida
04-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Do a compression check on it and start from there. You can buy one from sears for like $30 or probably just use the loan a tool one from autozone.

rooster300ex
04-14-2012, 12:13 PM
I got a break in the severe weather thats goin on here in OK. Anyways I Pulled the plug to make sure the plug hadn't hit the piston or something, and I fired it up and the noise is gone????? Also the plug was really black. The plug I pulled out of it alil after I got it was the perfect cardboard type color. I'm running to rich or its just that i'm a 4 stroke guy most my life and putt around to much. I try not to though.