PDA

View Full Version : rear shock spring rate...Axis.

JoePA
04-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Ok he's the deal. I just got my shocks back from axis and the current rear shock spring is 400lb, this is what their system called for. I think that is way too stiff. Ride height is 9 1/2 inches. I installed my 300lb spring and it got better with a ride height of 7 3/4 but I think it should be better as my sag is only 3 1/2 inches with no preload on the spring. I'm at Axis now waiting till they get back from lunch to purchase a 275lb spring. I think this should work better over the 400lb spring. Your thoughts? My weight is 190 with gear.

Thanks!

89trx250r
04-12-2012, 12:57 PM
I have heard from a few LARGE atv companies that the dudes at custom axis have no idea what they are doing...I know everyone always posts how they had such great service and turn around time etc...But there knowledge is minimal...I talked to one person in specific that swore he would never use custom axis stuff again...So hopefully everything works out for you.

04-12-2012, 01:15 PM
I just want to make sure you are correctly measuring the ride height and that you are actually on the quad when you have someone measure it for you, right?

D Bergstrom
04-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Stock linkage, correct? If so, a 275 lb spring sounds about right. When I was running a stock linkage/swingarm on my 86, I was running a 325 lb spring. I weigh quite a bit more then you though, I am 230 lbs without gear.

Doug

hontrx265r
04-12-2012, 01:55 PM
I personally think most shock companies over spring there shocks to avoid the average person complaining about bottoming out.. and not understanding when bottoming is important, how often, and why.

My cr500 rear shock was over sprung also, the good news is, you know enough to know its not correct, and you have the resources here to fix it.

JoePA
04-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Ok here's the update: Went down to Axis this morning to get a new spring. I have to say they have a top notch place. Very clean, neat and very, very helpful. I worked with Micah and we talked for a while about the setup and what might work best. I did get the 275 lb spring and everything seems to flow better...numbers wise in set up. Downfall to Axis, with regards to the 250R, is they just go by what ever their specs call for. If I owned something newer then maybe we could have nailed it the first go around but they helped out tremendously and even offered a used spring to give it a try. All in all I'm pleased with their work BUT I wish they knew about 250R setup considering it was raced for so long??!!

Off to give these shocks a testing and see how they do. Thank you everyone for your help!!!

Joe

89trx250r
04-12-2012, 02:54 PM
250R's arent the only quad they dont know much about...:)

JoePA
04-13-2012, 07:34 AM
I got to ride the quad for a bit yesterday and the 275lb worked perfect!

With that being said....how the hell did they come up with specs that arent even close!!??

RyanWsly
04-13-2012, 01:06 PM
The spec. for my dual rate main was a 400lb spring and I'm about your weight, wonder if they got that on accident.

suspension101
04-14-2012, 05:11 PM
There are too many factors for a company to have every shock setup possible. They might of had that measurement for a negative swingarm length or like someone else said they may have just recorded the wrong measurement. Axis knows what they are doing.

JoePA
04-15-2012, 06:23 AM
I'm not here to say who knows what but I sat there with Micah going through every combination possible and they all seem to be heavier than they should. I could see 400 for a +3 swingarm.

I based my findings off of ride height. With 0 preload on the springs I wasn't even close.I could probably get away with s 250lb spring as I'm still a little high on my ride height.

suspension101
04-15-2012, 07:29 AM
Yes, but if your extended shock length isn't correct you won't have the correct ride height. I'd recommend around 4.5" of sag.

JoePA
04-15-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm close now and now curious if the 250 would be the magic number?

When I asked about sag I was told not to worry about sag....just shoot for race stance. Seems to me that one number helps find the other...yes?

suspension101
04-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Well if your sag is correct and your extended height is not then your ride height will be off. Or if your extended height is correct and your sag is not your ride height still won't be right! They have to work hand in hand. Sag is VERY important in my opinion.

JoePA
04-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Ok, I would like to be schooled in the ways of suspension. How do I go about making sure everything is correct?

suspension101
04-15-2012, 09:03 PM
I don't have enough time to teach everything here but I know there are a couple of shops who are teaching the proper ways to setup a bike. The closest to you would be GT Thunder.