PDA

View Full Version : Electric remote starter for 250r? Help

bebogis
04-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Does anyone know where to find this kind of starters or built one from scratch? any information is appreciated. Thanks

sangheraent
04-11-2012, 08:54 PM
you want to make it electric start with a button? or a remote start like a car?

wilkin250r
04-12-2012, 11:43 AM
You're looking for the impossible. You could do it, but in theory only. Your first step would be getting an electric start. As far as I know, there's only one company that made electric start conversions for motorcycles, ATVs and ATCs. The company is called Goki, and I think they're still around, they made an electric start for the 450r.

However, they don't list a kit for the 250r, you would be looking at custom fabrication of stator cover to accomodate the starter motor, as well as a custom flywheel for the starter gear.

After that, you'd be looking at the electronics for remote activation.

So it's possible, in theory. But let's live in reality for a second, it's impossible.

atv fan 28
04-12-2012, 04:40 PM
I believe he is talking about one of these??

http://www.pingelonline.com/starters.htm

mx91a
04-13-2012, 05:36 AM
The new KTM two strokes have electric start. The whole system is only supposed to add about 10 pounds including battery. I wonder if you could modify the clutch cover to accept the starter and drive the big gear behind the basket? Cool idea to add e-start but won't be cheap or easy.

beerock
04-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
You're looking for the impossible. You could do it, but in theory only. Your first step would be getting an electric start. As far as I know, there's only one company that made electric start conversions for motorcycles, ATVs and ATCs. The company is called Goki, and I think they're still around, they made an electric start for the 450r.

However, they don't list a kit for the 250r, you would be looking at custom fabrication of stator cover to accomodate the starter motor, as well as a custom flywheel for the starter gear.

After that, you'd be looking at the electronics for remote activation.

So it's possible, in theory. But let's live in reality for a second, it's impossible.

how dare you! wilky you know better then that! btw I still have some of that amsoil left hahaha...

I bet I could design an electric start for it...

you could design it by the inner side of the kick start gear

or the counter balancer.....

beleieve it or not I bet you could transform the coutner balancer into an electric motor itself there is room in there for magnets think about the shaft on the CB.... it could be machined and then make the armature and commutator but the magnets on the casing

either way though it Can be done and is not impossible. just cost MONEY and knoweldge! ;)

the money part is easy.... and if you have it you dont even need knowledge just pay someone to do it.

wilkin250r
04-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by beerock
I bet I could design an electric start for it...

Oh, absolutely! I could too. If it's going to be a "kit", the stator cover is the only logical choice, much like Goki does for their products. But for a one-off design, the kickstarter gear is a much better location.

With the custom machining and welding on the cases that it would require, I would be willing to do it for $8,000, which is at least $2000 better than Beerock would quote :muscle:

beerock
04-18-2012, 12:57 AM
:chinese:

wilkin250r
04-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Actually, I hadn't even thought of the counterbalance, that's a fantastic idea. But I don't think there is quite enough room there.

A normal starter motor is powerful and torquey, yes, but a typical starter motor still spins at like 1000rpm, and then gets reduced through gears down to something like 100rpm. You would need a BIG armature to crank over an engine with a 1:1 gearing ratio, and I just don't think there is enough room to accomplish it.

I wonder if you could do it by boosting the voltage? Throw the 12V through a power supply to boost it to up to 500V or something like that, I wonder if you could get enough power into a small armature that direction.

beerock
04-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Actually, I hadn't even thought of the counterbalance, that's a fantastic idea. But I don't think there is quite enough room there.

A normal starter motor is powerful and torquey, yes, but a typical starter motor still spins at like 1000rpm, and then gets reduced through gears down to something like 100rpm. You would need a BIG armature to crank over an engine with a 1:1 gearing ratio, and I just don't think there is enough room to accomplish it.

I wonder if you could do it by boosting the voltage? Throw the 12V through a power supply to boost it to up to 500V or something like that, I wonder if you could get enough power into a small armature that direction.

yea I didnt think about the gearing, but I know the CB is not a 1;1 ratio i think its a 2:1 ratio or 4:1... the cb balances the intake and exhaust stroke or the compression and power stroke I forget... regardless its one of the two i mentioned...

If i recal the gear crank gear is fairly small and the CB gear is larger so the ratio may be ok to turn over themotor..

the one issue is, in that cb case area the one part of the case closer to where the crank is is not a perfect circle... I already took that into account however that means the armature would have to be skinny for the magnets.... unless there is a way to make two armatures on both ends of the CB case area where the cases are circular (both ends are circular for a bit and then the 1/2 moon shape comes up..

if thif the electric motor was made torquey enough it could definately turn over the motor even with high comp... but its all in the design of the motor...

I can already imagine doing this... first you would have to balance the electric motor part SEPARATE from the counter weight parts and once its 0 then put the counterweights on... ;)

wilkin250r
04-18-2012, 02:22 PM
If you were going to get that complex, maybe a different strategy would be in order. Maybe you redesign the stator completely, make it a dual-purpose motor or generator. You could have a small set of relays that connect windings in series or parallel to get what you need, and that's a plenty big enough armature to turn that motor. It probably won't be a permanent-magnet type, it would have to use field coils to get the strength you need, but I bet it could be done.

At that point, because you're going to need to redesign the ignition system as well, you could program in a method to stall the motor, then fire it backwards for reverse.

*For those that are following this, a generator and a motor are almost identical. In fact, you can take any small DC motor and spin it to produce a small amount of electricity.

beerock
04-18-2012, 03:51 PM
If you were going to get that complex, maybe a different strategy would be in order. Maybe you redesign the stator completely, make it a dual-purpose motor or generator. You could have a small set of relays that connect windings in series or parallel to get what you need, and that's a plenty big enough armature to turn that motor. It probably won't be a permanent-magnet type, it would have to use field coils to get the strength you need, but I bet it could be done.

At that point, because you're going to need to redesign the ignition system as well, you could program in a method to stall the motor, then fire it backwards for reverse.

*For those that are following this, a generator and a motor are almost identical. In fact, you can take any small DC motor and spin it to produce a small amount of electricity.

yea but I wouldnt want to interfere with the ignition at all..

what your saying could be done but the stator/ motor would have to have locking mechanisms to make it change from a electric motor to a stator... as you know stators stay in a fixed location and electric motors do the opposite. because one is using electricity and the other is giving electricity

it can be done for sure. but we are just talking about making an electric start that wont break the bank, and cost for doing just an electric motor set up is definately cheaper then designing a stator/electric starter motor... with mechanisms to lock and unlock for dual purpose..

beleive it or not what we are talking about with the stator and electric motor is pretty much called PERPETUAL MOTION

somehting that the auto industry does not want us to think or know is possibe yet its been in front of our eyes for a long *** time.

they say electric cars need to be charged over a period of time. BS they do that so the electric company makes money.... who wants to sell something that gives you freedom from the energy to run it... it is fact that you can build a car with electric motors on one, two three or four wheels of the car and at the same time have generators connected tot he same shaft as the electric motors and that will charge the batteries. to give the electric motors the PUSH or pull to continue perpetual motion... thats the only need for the batteries....

or betetr yet how about no batteries and a special magnetic timing mechanism that offsets the magnets so you have push or pull with no electricity.. th eonly thing needed to hold that magnetic force would be a simple LOCK.... once the lock is disengaged it will puch or pull the motors to get out of the magnetic force and then the perpetual motion starts and you can drive the car.....

free energy right there.....^^^^

310Rduner
04-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Sup fellas, long time no see

wilkin250r
04-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Where have YOU been? Still driving that Bronco?

310Rduner
04-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Nah that motor blew on me eventually driving a nissan pathfinder now:p Actually just getting back into my atv now, going to fire her up for the first time since about 2005 when I went to St Anthony's. Now that I'm older I've got some income source at least, start spending some money on this R for real.

Brandon

wilkin250r
04-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
Nah that motor blew on me eventually

Weren't you clowning me about my little Inline 6? That guy is still going strong, almost 300,000 miles.