PDA

View Full Version : Bought my daughter her first real dirtbike...

sly400ex
04-11-2012, 06:52 PM
So I did find a mint Z50 for my daughter.....but shes not digging it at all. She had two power wheels four wheelers, rode her cousins little 50cc quad and had a blast this past weekend on the little 50cc. But I truly believe when it comes to learning a gas powered vehicle, you should start on 2 wheels. Well she wasn't excited at all about getting it, then I struggled to get her to ride it. She finally rode around a little bit, fell down and didnt want anything to do with it. I'm not going to lie, I am very saddened by this. I hope I can get her to like it. What advice do you parents have? I'm not going to get her a four wheeler, she needs to learn on two. I have many reasons for this. BTW she is six.

pmg8134
04-11-2012, 06:58 PM
she`s happy on four then she`s happy on four

BlasterEaten250
04-11-2012, 07:02 PM
How about trying to find some training wheels until she gets a good feel for it?

01boneless
04-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
How about trying to find some training wheels until she gets a good feel for it?
this

dxcody
04-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Training wheels arent such a great idea. I mean they are... For about 2 weeks.

We got my cousin training wheels for his dirtbike, and he was constently running into everything because they dont turn worth a crap with training wheels.

But i guess just to get used to it, they would be ok.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Does she know how to ride a bicycle? If so she learned on two already buy her the quad. Forcing your will on kids (when it comes to recreation)will only garner resentment and and or lack of intrest. I know you have good reason for pushing the two wheel issue but give her time and let her take up the two wheelers at her choosing.

sly400ex
04-12-2012, 05:36 AM
yes, she knows how to ride a bicycle, so balance isnt the issue. When on a 4 wheeler, she hasnt grasped the concept that you have to lean into a turn and she has almost rolled it a few times. Also, I can tell she struggles to turn the 4 wheeler.

I would rather her fall over on a small dirt bike than get tangled up with a 4 wheeler.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Sly, you're right and I kinda thought that was part of your rational. The only thing I can tell you is that is at all comforting is that I never really rode two wheelers (less acouple of rides on a yamaha 100 in the woods) and I'm ok (sorta). Maybe grab a bucket of popcorn and pull a couple of stools up to the computer and show her some youtube videos of what to and what not to do? GL bro I think you're an awesome dad, I hope I didn't come off any other way.

buck440
04-12-2012, 07:54 AM
i know you said dirtbike but i just need to throw this out there. maby a governor riged up so she can't go fast enough to roll over. usually they have one in the thumb throttle housing to control how far the throttle can be pushed in.

it can be adjusted from 0% which is idle to 100% full power. if it doesn't have the throttle stop you can put one on it. same thing can be done to the dirtbike if you wanted too rig up a thumb throttle which is easy.

sly400ex
04-12-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm really thinking the popcorn and watching vids of other little squirts on dirt bikes is a great idea!

And Oldguy, I didn't take anything the wrong way, I appreciate you and everyone else's input very much!:)

OldGuyonaQuad
04-12-2012, 03:37 PM
sly you can also try one of those cute little pink razor scooters for about $200-$250. The governor suggestion made me think of this:

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh518/Tom_Harrie/razorpink.jpg

89trx250r
04-12-2012, 10:36 PM
I think 2 wheels with a motor can be intimidating at first. I know when I was younger I could rip a quad and was terrified of dirtbikes, I thought they were the scariest thing in the world...Then I started slowly riding my friends yz80 then he got a yz85 and I loved ripping that thing I dumped it over a few times and thought I was going to die but I got up scott free and kept going...I think it may just take a little time for her to get used to the twist throttle and everything. Anyway goodluck man you sound like a cool dad!

dan harris
04-16-2012, 06:21 AM
sly- I think you should let her ride what she wants, and as far as the quad being more dangerous, at 6 years old = and being a girl - its very unlikely that, if you get her the proper size quad, that she'll be riding it so hard that you've gotta worry about a rollover, she will fall off the dirtbike 10x more then she will fall off the quad !! Quads are definately heavier and more dangerous in a big crash - but at six - I think the quad is a much safer ride for her ! And just as importantly - she'll enjoy it more ! Just make sure she's not on a machine too big for her - there are plenty of little quads out there for cheap ! Good luck and keep it FUN !!!!

01 400EXer
04-18-2012, 06:36 AM
I agree with sly. 2 wheels first and they need to be intimidated to a point when it comes to wheels and motors. 4 wheels allows them to be confident way to soon. My kids are and will be on 2 wheels for a while before they get 4. My son has little tumbles here and there and does stupid things to remind him of the dangers without getting hurt and some of them if he was on 4 wheels it could have been worse. He is only 8 and has been riding for 2.5 years. Also it gave me a reason to go out and get another dirtbike so he could feel like he was being like his dad.

finsteratv
04-21-2012, 11:11 PM
ride it around with her on your lap or you ride it around to show her how it isnt crazy then let her try. Maybe even take a little spill and giggle about how it was fun..haha..theres a dad down the street that has been getting his son on a 50

Tommy Warren
04-22-2012, 05:54 AM
get a small group of people over and you start riding the bike around in front of them and have them all laugh and show interest... I bet she kicks you off and takes over. My neice did this when I showed up to her house with a group of atvs. she jumped on her electric raptor and rode it longer then ever before

muddy400EX
04-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by dan harris
sly- I think you should let her ride what she wants, and as far as the quad being more dangerous, at 6 years old = and being a girl - its very unlikely that, if you get her the proper size quad, that she'll be riding it so hard that you've gotta worry about a rollover, she will fall off the dirtbike 10x more then she will fall off the quad !! Quads are definately heavier and more dangerous in a big crash - but at six - I think the quad is a much safer ride for her ! And just as importantly - she'll enjoy it more ! Just make sure she's not on a machine too big for her - there are plenty of little quads out there for cheap ! Good luck and keep it FUN !!!!

agreed. i think you should just let her ride what she wants so she atleast stays interested in the sport. if you force the bike on her she'll lose interest

just tell her someday she's gonna learn the bike or something. just as long she enjoys it, it's all that matters

rbgnwa45
04-22-2012, 05:04 PM
If you start her on a quad than she'll end up like everyone else who rides quads when they're older - they're utterly terrified of dirtbikes. Keep her on both and tell her that they both have their respective uses. Would you rather pay for a dirtbike or quad when she's older? lol