PDA

View Full Version : Buy a LT1 or a 1999-2004 Mustang GT?

m0t0xk1d
04-11-2012, 03:31 PM
So im looking to buy a new car here soon and ive decided between 4 or possible 5 cars. The cars ive narrowed down to is 1994-1998 camaro LT1, 1993 - 1998 trans am LT1, 1998 - 2002 Camaro LS1, and a 1999-2004 Mustang GT or possible a 1993 - 1998 Mustang GT Cobra, keep in mind V8 only.

My original thought was I really wanted a Mustang GT for looks and the 4.6 isnt to bad of a powerplant. Also this body style (1999-2004) really appeals to me and is in my price range which is up to around $9000. However if i were to get a mustang it would be manual transmission only.

However a cobra of this body style almost all times exceeds my price range, so I wouldnt mind venturing the previous body style (1993-1998) in order to purchase a cobra.

However recently I have been really impressed with the LT1 and LS1 powerplants and its been almost convincing me. most 1994 - 1998 camaros look decent to me but nothing special however when done right i feel can look sharp. but if im right the same year trans am also carries an LT1 which the look decent also. Also i LOVE the sound on the LT1 exhaust. pure v8 muscle sound and with a cam is pure music to my ears.

The 1998 camaros transfered to the LS1 which too seems like a very solid pwerplant. These cars look better then the LT1 but ive heard the LT1 might be a better option. For a LT1 or LS1 powerplant based car i wouldnt mind having a auto or manual Tranny.

Can some people give me some opinions on both cars and thoughts to help me decide?

yellow400ex05
04-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Alright with your budget of 9k, you can buy a nice 6 speed 70k miles plus ls1 camaro or trans am pretty easily from 1998-02. I wouldn't go with any other car if your looking to have a quick car that even stock can run a low 13 second quarter mile. the only weak link is the 10 bolt rear axle, so i wouldnt reccomend that you put drag radials on it ever, t wouldn't last long. I owned a 2 1996 Firebirds both were LT1 cars, I loved the power they had, they had more torque than the ls1 down low. but not nearly as much top end, LT1 cars from 1993-97 are great cars, the interiors are a little better in those years, the door panels didn't crack like the 98-02 ls1 cars.
I owned both an auto 2.73 geared lt1 firebird and a 6 speed, with your budget i wouldn't even think about not going with the 6 speed! the t-56's are bulletproof.

the all aluminum ls1 was a great, and still is an awesome engine, especially in its day. lt1's are just as good, but they are dated in technology, some say the front mounted distributors are garbage, but that's if your intake manifold seal is leaking then it'll drip onto the distributor and fry it basically, so if anyone tells you avoid an lt1 car because of the stupid front mounted optispark distributor, do some research, they aren't bad.

also with 9K you can get a ram air 95-97 firebird formula ws6 as well, now that makes it tempting at least to me.

the 1999-04 msutangs are great, solid performing cars, stock for stock even against an LT1 car they'll struggle to be faster than it, and are low 14 second cars. the 2v engines i would stay away from. not very powerful, even with bolt ons like headers intake, cam. etc.they sound awesome with an exaust and like no other engine. but hoentsly if you get one even after mods you'll be looking for more power. but they are good cars. the 1994-96 mustangs i wouldnt even look at, they were some of the slowest mustangs off the assembly line other than the cobra, made 205 HP a v6 camaro of similar year would beat it, they still sounded good and all, and are solid performing cars, but don't expect to win races again.

either way any of the cars are solid cars. but I would vote LT1 firebird/camaro or ls1 Camaro/firebird 6 speed in a heartbeat, you have plenty of budget to get a NICE one! prices are low!

also the 97 camaro with the LT1 came with the updated 98-02 interior.

here's my 95 6 speed, had 70k miles on it, only paid 5500 for it, it was a great car.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/343rc5y.jpg
http://oi44.tinypic.com/29xuaeo.jpg

and yes they'll hit 150 mph without too much trouble :devil: the LS1 cars will hit it quicker due to more top end acceleration, I've been in and around plenty of ls1 and lt1 f-body's to know haha

also I've ran the quickest in my firebird with just a full exhaust and intake at 13.6 at 106mph in the 1/4 woulda have had more if i didn't rip the tires off when slamming second gear

had my 0-60 down to 5.2 seconds!!

Pipeless416
04-11-2012, 04:23 PM
please no 2v mustangs... also, LS1>LT1 in everything except for sound. stay with an LS/LT car and you will NOT be disappointed. i'm slightly biased though. :blah:

edit: there are just too many mustangs out there. that might be why i'm so against them.. that, and 99-04s put out a sad amount of power compared to any LS engine.. except terminators.. different story there.

ZeroLogic
04-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by yellow400ex05
Alright with your budget of 9k, you can buy a nice 6 speed 70k miles plus ls1 camaro or trans am pretty easily from 1998-02. I wouldn't go with any other car if your looking to have a quick car that even stock can run a low 13 second quarter mile. the only weak link is the 10 bolt rear axle, so i wouldnt reccomend that you put drag radials on it ever, t wouldn't last long. I owned a 2 1996 Firebirds both were LT1 cars, I loved the power they had, they had more torque than the ls1 down low. but not nearly as much top end, LT1 cars from 1993-97 are great cars, the interiors are a little better in those years, the door panels didn't crack like the 98-02 ls1 cars.
I owned both an auto 2.73 geared lt1 firebird and a 6 speed, with your budget i wouldn't even think about not going with the 6 speed! the t-56's are bulletproof.

the all aluminum ls1 was a great, and still is an awesome engine, especially in its day. lt1's are just as good, but they are dated in technology, some say the front mounted distributors are garbage, but that's if your intake manifold seal is leaking then it'll drip onto the distributor and fry it basically, so if anyone tells you avoid an lt1 car because of the stupid front mounted optispark distributor, do some research, they aren't bad.

also with 9K you can get a ram air 95-97 firebird formula ws6 as well, now that makes it tempting at least to me.

the 1999-04 msutangs are great, solid performing cars, stock for stock even against an LT1 car they'll struggle to be faster than it, and are low 14 second cars. the 2v engines i would stay away from. not very powerful, even with bolt ons like headers intake, cam. etc.they sound awesome with an exaust and like no other engine. but hoentsly if you get one even after mods you'll be looking for more power. but they are good cars. the 1994-96 mustangs i wouldnt even look at, they were some of the slowest mustangs off the assembly line other than the cobra, made 205 HP a v6 camaro of similar year would beat it, they still sounded good and all, and are solid performing cars, but don't expect to win races again.

either way any of the cars are solid cars. but I would vote LT1 firebird/camaro or ls1 Camaro/firebird 6 speed in a heartbeat, you have plenty of budget to get a NICE one! prices are low!

here's my 95 6 speed, had 70k miles on it, only paid 5500 for it, it was a great car.

and yes they'll hit 150 mph without too much trouble :devil: the LS1 cars will hit it quicker due to more top end acceleration, I've been in and around plenty of ls1 and lt1 f-body's to know haha

also I've ran the quickest in my firebird with just a full exhaust and intake at 13.6 at 106mph in the 1/4 woulda have had more if i didn't rip the tires off when slamming second gear

Nice bird my buddy just picked up a crazy worked 02 ws6

Hornbreaker
04-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Before you drop any cash down, Think where you live. Do you want a car low to the ground in your winters? All your picks are lite in the rear, the first snowfall and the cars think they work for Dun-can donuts. But if your mind is all made up go with the ls or Lt cars. Had a 96 SS Impala the last of the real grocery getter's. Good Luck with your pick.

candidate zero
04-11-2012, 07:32 PM
LS1 for sure. I had a '95 Formula, '98 Z28, and '01 SS. I even got my girl into them, and she bought a '01 SS. Had plenty of problems with the LT1 including the opti going out, and really they just don't make near the power the LS1 cars do.

My old '01 SS
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/Slipknot1348/IMG_0122.jpg

My old '98 Z28
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/Slipknot1348/008-1.jpg

yellow400ex05
04-11-2012, 08:06 PM
the i went through 2 firebirds and have never had an issue with my optispark, all depends on if its ever been changed and if the one you buy is a quality part. if you buy a nice quality reproduction optispark or like and msd ignition, you'll be set to go.

and the ls1's will make more power mod for mod, but there are still some LT1 cars that will run with the ls1's. I've beaten an exhaust intake ls1 camaro with the firebird pictured above, after he said he smoked a few lt1 cars, and claimed they were so much faster. i got a kick out of it, when he wouldn't even aknowledge that i beat him by half a almost half a second in the quarter.

in all honesty, i would probably buy and LT1 car with low miles for cheap and with the 4-5k I'd have left over do a good set of heads cam intake exhaust and be running around 400-450 hp depending on how you set up the parts you buy. and after a good tune. but i like the oldschool sound and feel of the LT1. but then again an ls1 is pretty tempting

I've had the pleasure of driving a 396 stroker LT1 that made 450 horsepower built to the hilt, with suspension, roll cage, 3xx wide tires 3500 RPM stall converter. thousands of dollars dumped into it back in 2005 or so, thing was a beast! i mean it flat out went and sounded like all hell broke loose!

KXRida
04-11-2012, 08:19 PM
If you're going for performance it's hard to beat the ls1's. For what they are with mild mods you can break into the 12's fairly easy. I myself am a mustang guy and have a 2002 gt. First time I drove it I was kinda depressed with the power. With some mild mods it's low 13's high 12's so with some time and money they can be fairly quick. Gears are the biggest help for those cars seeing how they usually come with 3.27's. Looks wise IMO, you can't find a better looking car than the 99-04 mustang. With an aftermarket hood and front fascia they are tit's. I'm hoping to get a roush front with either a cobra r hood or small cowl. Biggest advantage over the camaro's/firebirds seems to be the handling. With a proper power/suspension set up these car's can do extremely well in autocross.

These pics are from almost 2 years ago but you get the idea... Car has been dropped almost 2 inches since then and got some performance/suspension goodies. Gay projectors are no longer on there either.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/012-6.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/011-5.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/008-12.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/074.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/005-10.jpg

And right before I put it away last year
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/123.jpg

CJM
04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
I much prefer mustangs, I think they look better and handle much better out of the box than a f-body does. They are slower, but thats what bolt ons and various other things are for.

I however like the 3rd gen f-body tho, way cool looking car.

If I had it my way Id build up a 3rd gen f-body with a worked 350. Theres plenty of power to be made if you build it right and you can put both the stang and the other f-bodys to shame.

BoneStockHonda
04-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Although I hate the look of 4th gen Transmarobirds the LS series motors are badass. I know multiple people who put down 400+ whp and get 20+ MPG. You really can't go wrong with anything LS powered.

JForestZ34
04-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by yellow400ex05

Nice car.... But I don't think with just an intake and full exhaust you'd get down to a 13.6 in a LS1. A newer dodge challenger SRT8 is doing in low 13's high 12's. There's no way you had 470 hp from and exhaust and intake.. I'm sure it was quick but not that quick.

James

BlasterEaten250
04-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
Nice car.... But I don't think with just an intake and full exhaust you'd get down to a 13.6 in a LS1. A newer dodge challenger SRT8 is doing in low 13's high 12's. There's no way you had 470 hp from and exhaust and intake.. I'm sure it was quick but not that quick.

James LS1's do low 13's stock... And do you know how much Challengers weigh compared to these cars? lol

Pipeless416
04-12-2012, 12:03 AM

James

1. F-bodies do not need 470 hp to run high 12s. its laughable that it takes that much for the piggish challenger.

2. full exhaust and and intake mods will put an LS1 into the 12s.. some have even dipped into the 12s bone stock. very few, but it has happened under perfect conditions. (track prep, DA, driver)

3. that is not an LS1 that you're quoting.

yellow400ex05
04-12-2012, 07:08 AM

James

you've kind of got me confused, but i meant that my car, the black firebird with just and exhaust and intake only hit 13.6 at 106mph still not getting traction on all season street tires.
i probably had a little over 300 flywheel horsepower with the full exhaust and intake.

and the 470hp comment was that i rode in a 450 horsepower built to the maximum suspension engine and trans mods LT1 firebird 396 stroker, that was very quick. to say the least, it there may be few, but there are still some Lt1's lurking that'll put the hurt on the newer powerplant muscle cars.

and those challengers are over 4000 pounds, that's why they can barely hit 13 second quarter miles with so much horsepower.

JForestZ34
04-12-2012, 08:04 AM
I'm not arguing that LS1's make good power with little work but I've NEVER seen one into the 12's STOCK. Not gonna happen. Don't care what tires you have or what kind of driver. A stock LS1 one ain't making the 12's.

As for how heavy the cars are. Do this. You T/A-Firebird weights about 3500 lbs. Go race a stock Grand National. Weights about the same 3500 and watch yourself get spanked. And it has less power than a ls1. If a grand national is running the quarter mile in low 13's. Maybe low 14's or high 13's for the ls1 but I still haven't seen on in the low 13's without some mild work done. I might be wrong but I have never seen it yet.

James

Pipeless416
04-12-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm not arguing that LS1's make good power with little work but I've NEVER seen one into the 12's STOCK. Not gonna happen. Don't care what tires you have or what kind of driver. A stock LS1 one ain't making the 12's.

As for how heavy the cars are. Do this. You T/A-Firebird weights about 3500 lbs. Go race a stock Grand National. Weights about the same 3500 and watch yourself get spanked. And it has less power than a ls1. If a grand national is running the quarter mile in low 13's. Maybe low 14's or high 13's for the ls1 but I still haven't seen on in the low 13's without some mild work done. I might be wrong but I have never seen it yet.

James

please research before making assumptions. just because you've never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

i'll get you started http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-results/1506212-whos-ran-12s-stock-dr-tires-only.html

JForestZ34
04-12-2012, 10:14 AM
I guess it could but I've had many friends with ls1's and never seen them hit those numbers with and exhaust and intake. But if you say so it must be true. Nice car though. I'd def take one if I could find one cheap around me.

And as for the ls1 website I call BS on a lot of their times. A 12.6 1/4 time is in the range of a z06 vette. And the vette will smoke a ls1 in an f-body. I could tell you I'm running 12's in my jeep but its all BS until we see time slips or seen it in person. You can see vids all day long about ls1 running at the track and most of them have a fair amount of bolt ins and they are in the low 12's. I have been outta the seen for a while so I could be wrong.

James

04-12-2012, 01:24 PM
This thread made me laugh.

KXRida
04-12-2012, 07:31 PM
For the record a buddy of mine as an ls1 T/A with exhaust, mild bolt on's, tune, and decent tires went 13.2. That was his best run. With some better launches I'm thinking he'll have it in the 12's. Driver skill has a lot to add into the factor. Hell I remember a guy on one of the mustang threads getting a nearly stock 2v gt in the 12's with just tires and a built rear. Granted he was a near professional driver but it just goes to show that a car rated at high 13's, low 14's made a respectable pass all with the driver. There's no doubt in my mind a mildly modded ls1 would be in the 12's. The are power houses in nearly stock form. With pretty much full bolt on's and making a pass on slicks I had my gt going 12.9. That's with a relatively easy launch on slicks due to stock 28 spline axles. I'm thinking low 12's with a 100 shot and a good launch on slicks once the rear end is built. Either way, they're all nice cars and you'll be happy with either. Bad part is my 8000 lb truck towing it to the track still turns a better 1/4 mile than the car.

candidate zero
04-13-2012, 09:49 PM
My old black SS I posted a picture of went 13.0 @ 109 with a 2.0 60 ft. That was on the 19" wheels in the picture with street tires. It had full exhaust, lid, and tune. Put down 348/352.

Pipeless416
04-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by candidate zero
My old black SS I posted a picture of went 13.0 @ 109 with a 2.0 60 ft. That was on the 19" wheels in the picture with street tires. It had full exhaust, lid, and tune. Put down 348/352.

those are 19s? i thought 18s for sure. great looking car!

candidate zero
04-14-2012, 06:58 PM
iForged Aeros, 18" front 19" rear. I miss that car

b0rn c0nfused
04-14-2012, 09:12 PM
f*** it dude go for a car with real power...buy a civic :D

trick450r
04-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Save your money and get a nice stock ls1 or with the money you already have buy a 98+ fcar with a truck motor already swapped, they're more stout than an lsx or ltx....fwiw my second car project was a 96' formula ws6, bought it when I was 17, i designed and built my own forged 370 stroker ltx with a 76mm turbo for it, with that said lt1s can haul some serious *** when boost is involved.

More importantly though I'm now running a stock/rebuilt LM7 truck motor (iron block 5.3l, with stock heads!) with lsx accessories and a single 76mm turbo in a 94' rx7, havnt dynoed it yet but I'm looking for 700rwhp at or around 15psi....no lt1 or modular motor has EVER pulled numbers like that

Motortrend pulled 1300 fwhp out of a 150k mile junkyard 4.8l block with twin 88mm's...and no, it didn't blow up.

Basically if your looking to have fun driving and learn a thing or two about building v8's, the lsx cannot be beaten.

P.S to the guy who thinks the challenger is quick...the bolt on lt1 record is in the 11s....the stock shortblock lsx record is in the 9s...I've seen both powerplants pull wheels and run low 12s with nothing but good suspension, great tires, and an excellent driver.