PDA

View Full Version : crf hybird trail quad?

Common24
04-10-2012, 12:53 PM
I am interested in buying a crf hybird quad. I race 200ft drag races on the weekends and at some local county fairs. Just wondering if these quads make good trail quads. I know that they don't run a fan but run larger radiators. Do they tend to get hot on trails? is there anyway to run a fan and charge the battery from the motor? Any info would be helpful. is there any other ideas on how to keep it cool while riding in trails.

deathman53
04-10-2012, 02:52 PM
you shouldn't have an issue keeping it cool on trails. You could get a trail tech stator, that has dc output, and run a fan off of that, if it should get really hot. Your biggest issue will be the gearing, with 13/38, first isn't tall enough for trails, but second is too tall for tighter stuff after that you will run through 3rd, 4th and fifth on long straightaways and open sections. Also the light, small flywheel won't suite trails too well. It will stall out, kinda easy especially if you are making sudden movements.

JAG Motosports
04-10-2012, 02:53 PM
I run a fan off a battery for a rc car. works great for mx but might not last long enough for trails. Trailtech sells a stator and flywheel that can run a fan

Common24
04-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Do I need the stator and flywheel or just the stator to run the fan? I need the one with D/C output right?

mx Eli
04-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Common24
Do I need the stator and flywheel or just the stator to run the fan? I need the one with D/C output right?
I honestly think if you keep a decent pace on the trail you would be fine with a oversized radiator, I would at least try it before you spend the money on the stator and everything

Common24
04-10-2012, 07:09 PM
This motor is a 570 big bore/stroker and I just recently purchased the bike. I wouldn't be scared for a factory motor to be hot but on this built motor idk. It has the oversized radiator with a fan and the previous owner had a battery mounted on it but it wouldn't stay charged of course. I ride some at night also so I think the trail tech would be a must. The kit is $350 for reg/rec, battery, flywheel and stator. Do I need this whole kit or can I just buy the stator?

deathman53
04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I would get the whole thing. The stock flywheel wont work anyway. You need the reg/rec anyway. You can get a heavier or lighter flywheel also. I would get a heavier one also, resists stalling and better traction

Common24
04-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Ok I will have to order this kit. I also have a 04 450r drag quad and it is running the crf ignition setup. It was installed before I bought the quad. Is this setup that was installed in my 450r the same in my 02 crf hybird? I have seen some forsale because it is a great mod to do on the 450rs. What is one worth?

mx Eli
04-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Common24
Ok I will have to order this kit. I also have a 04 450r drag quad and it is running the crf ignition setup. It was installed before I bought the quad. Is this setup that was installed in my 450r the same in my 02 crf hybird? I have seen some forsale because it is a great mod to do on the 450rs. What is one worth?

ask this uestion in the 450r section youll get more awsners

quadfmx
05-19-2012, 06:09 PM
the crf mod for trx's is a one person loves one says it aint worth doing,
but it can only be done on 04-05 models
i see them for 250-350
a guy had 3, and offered them for 175 if i took em all
just fyi