PDA

View Full Version : rear shock set up

russellsroost31
04-10-2012, 07:50 AM
hey everyone i just started to mess with the rebound on the rear shock and i was wondering what the best set up for it was
like do i want a fast or slow rebound
i race mx indoor, outdoor, and faircross so what wuld be the best for me

chronicsmoke
04-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Too fast will buck you off.. you have the right idea, just play with it until you have something that works good for you. Everybody is going to have different settings.

Set it to the middle and Adjust, Test, Repeat until you have something you like.

russellsroost31
04-10-2012, 03:11 PM
one last question
what happens if its to slow will it just hurt to land or what

junior636
04-10-2012, 05:17 PM
The shock will stay "closed" longer which makes it not ready for the next load it needs to take as quickly. In my opinion rebound plays the biggest part in a whoop section, it does affect regular landing as well but I always tried to dial mine in on a whoop section where it seemed the most important.

TheAwesomehonda
04-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Well someone had on there the other day. That if your going though the whoops on the gas then you want your rebound fast, if your not on the gas then you want it slower.. Just an idea..

dxcody
04-10-2012, 05:44 PM
As said above, the best way to do it is find a whoop section, and ride it on all different settings.

Hit it like you would in a race.

But every whoop section is different. If the whoops are far apart, your going to want it to rebound slower, if the whoops are close together your going to need it to rebound faster.

Get used to how it rides on all the different settings, that way you will know (cause at different tracks obviously the whoops are going to be different) if the whoops are closer or further on the track your are going to be riding, you will have an idea of where to set it at, then after or during your practice runs you can fine tune it just the way you like it.

Also as mentioned above, speed is another big factor. If there is a whoop section right out of a corner your not going to be hitting it as fast as you would one that is after a rythem section.

So, like Chronic said, just play with it and get used to how it rides on all the different settings. Then you will be a wiz at setting it for the different tracks.

jkosakowski
04-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Not trying to steal the thread but anyone ever mess with the preload.... will it stiffen the rear shock up some if i compress the spring some more?

CJM
04-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by jkosakowski
Not trying to steal the thread but anyone ever mess with the preload.... will it stiffen the rear shock up some if i compress the spring some more?

Yes, it will also change ride height.

jkosakowski
04-10-2012, 07:12 PM
ok sweet ill try that

05DodgeDakota
04-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Basic shock setup: you want the preload (ride hieght) as low as possible to lower your center of gravity and increase stability through corners. You want the rebound as fast as you can go without getting the bucking effect, too slow and the suspension will be ready for the next bump, which will also cause bucking. And you want the compression as soft as you can without bottoming out often, if it never bottoms out then your not using the full stroke of the shock. This all of course will be determined by your weight, type of riding, and how aggressive you ride.

Stickman400
04-10-2012, 09:57 PM
I agree with everything Dakota said except for the preload. You want to set that for your weight, also called "race sag"

russellsroost31
04-11-2012, 06:20 AM
ok
ill just center te preload and go from there

russellsroost31
04-11-2012, 06:29 AM
oh i may sound like an idiot but wht i chatter outta the corner
i keep hearing you dont want to have chatter out of the corners but i have no clue what that is