PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start and Brake Light Kit

Otis.Leo
04-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Good Morning,

I recently bought an 04' 400ex.. I have had Suzuki all my life and I must say I love the Honda.. Not as torquey as the Suzuki my brother has now but i got the top end on him :p anyway, she is a cold cold girl to start.. it won't start on the battery alone the first time but once it does start and idles, then the battery has enough to start it everytime... i have to put the charger on it, turn it to 10 amps, and then the started turns way faster and it will fire right up.. i was going to change the spark plug but as some of you know it is a chore to get at and once i did get to it, i didnt have the wrench.. could be the coil too i suppose. also i found out that there is no brake light on this thing.. i have read that there are kits you can buy and install. i am electrically savy so installing it wont be hard but i havent been able to find where you can buy them. any ideas or input on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated!! thanks in advace y'all

Otis

D3structive
04-10-2012, 07:04 AM
Nice bike, I also have an 04, to start I would not recommend charging your battery at 10 amps if its not rated to handle 10 amps. thats like filling water balloons with a fire hose, your gonna ruin the cells. A few pumps of the throttle at full choke on a good battery she should start over just nicely. I would jump your pilot jet up to a 42. It helps greatly with starting, idle, and up to 1/4 throttle.

CJM
04-10-2012, 08:11 AM
All you need for a brake light is to buy the switch off honda or a 450r or newer ex. Its up by the handlebars and all you have to do is run a + wire to it and the other wire runs to the brake light.

Otis.Leo
04-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by CJM
All you need for a brake light is to buy the switch off honda or a 450r or newer ex. Its up by the handlebars and all you have to do is run a + wire to it and the other wire runs to the brake light.

does it bolt up the the current hand brake? and can i just ground it to the handle bar up front or do i run it with the ground that is in the back by the tail light??

CJM
04-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Otis.Leo
does it bolt up the the current hand brake? and can i just ground it to the handle bar up front or do i run it with the ground that is in the back by the tail light??

It bolts to the underside of the master.

It also doesnt ground at all (found out the hard way with one switch lol) all it is, is an interrupter. Power goes in and power comes out to the brake light.

All you gotta do is splice into the one wire on the light (think green is power iirc) and leave the other wire as it is a ground.

Otis.Leo
04-10-2012, 08:57 AM
easy enough... i just wanted to make sure on the ground cause i have learned the hard way too lol..

would something like this suffice?? if so i will buy it today!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-09-HONDA-TRX450R-TRX450-TRX-450-R-450R-FRONT-BRAKE-LIGHT-SWITCH-WIRING-HP1-/390397176911?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae57c2c4f&vxp=mtr

Stickman400
04-10-2012, 09:41 AM
That's only the wire, you need the switch to bolt on to the master. Here is a link to the parts you need. You can also use your own wires to run instead of buying the wiring harness and cutting it. Because it's made to plug into the factory harness, but since you didn't have it to begin with you'll have to cut it and extend the wires anyway.

The switch is #2, the wire is #1 and you may want/need the #28 bolt to hold the switch to the master.
http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/HONDA/2005/TRX400EX/FRONT-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-%28'05_'06%29

Otis.Leo
04-10-2012, 10:17 AM
thanks a lot man!! i will get this going right away.. seems easy enough to install and run the wires back.

Otis