PDA

View Full Version : HMF exhaust making weird noise

400exjoker
04-09-2012, 11:29 PM
ok so i installed my HMF exhaust last week and re jetted.. it made a good difference in sound and noticeable power gain but it makes a weird noise its hard to explain but i thought it was the spark arrestor cuz when i put my finger on it while it was running the noise would go away but then i took it out and the noise was still there.. so idk what it is, im not sure how to explain the sound but its as if you were to take a cars dipstick and shake it in a short fast motion.. any help will be greatly appreciated!

i just installed new stock headers w/ground down welds new gaskets and HMF performance series exhaust slipon

dxcody
04-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Probably your intake. Mine sounds like that too.

Did you remove your airbox lid, or drill holes in it?

400exjoker
04-09-2012, 11:45 PM
lid is still on im debating on what to do with the lid so its staying on for now

pmg8134
04-10-2012, 05:04 AM
i beleive there is a ring between the end cap of the exhaust and the core. mine made a noise there. i either shimmed it or removed don`t remember. but the sound is gone now

russellsroost31
04-10-2012, 07:54 AM
id just remove the lid if u want max power but i had tht problem with my big gun and it was the sprak screen rattaling around or somthing like that because it had space to move around so i just stopped running the spark screen

Stickman400
04-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Yea, I'd almost bet there is a spacer in the end of the exhaust tip still. Big Gun has a vortex quiet core insert and a spark arrestor screen that can be installed, but if you only want to run the screen or only the quiet core then you have to install a spacer to keep it snug, otherwise it will rattle.

400exjoker
04-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Yeah I'd like to keep the spark arrestor in cuz around here it get really dry in the summer and there's loads of tall dry grass,

@pmg8134 what ring are u talking about I must not have got one with mine. all I got was a hex head wrench the spark screen some paper instructions the clamp thingy some stickers and of course the slipon

250ex 2010
04-10-2012, 04:41 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about, mine does the same thing, and i dont have my spark arrestor or queit core in and never have had my end cap off at all. It almost sounds like an air leak. But is unoticable with a helmet on. (Which should be on all of the time)

400exjoker
04-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by 250ex 2010
I know exactly what you are talking about, mine does the same thing, and i dont have my spark arrestor or queit core in and never have had my end cap off at all. It almost sounds like an air leak. But is unoticable with a helmet on. (Which should be on all of the time)

yeah and i know i dont have an air leak cuz the whole exhaust is new stock headers/slip-on with new gaskets and i don't think that me grinding the header welds down is going to make it have this sound i guess i could live with it but it is annoying cuz my friend did the same thing to his headers and only difference is he's got an fmf slip-on

and yes i ride with a minimum of gloves helmet and jean pants

250ex 2010
04-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Well if it makes you feel any better it isnt because of your header welds being ground down. I havent touched my header. I have looked for leaks and havent found any.. Good to know someone else experience it haha... I dont even notice it any more
matt

pmg8134
04-11-2012, 04:42 AM
mine didn`t have a spark arrestor or guiet core and there was a spacer in between the end cap and the core that would vibrate loud. i pulled it out. no shims. i saw it sitting in the top of the tool box yesterday, so I now know what i did with it.

400exjoker
04-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by pmg8134
mine didn`t have a spark arrestor or guiet core and there was a spacer in between the end cap and the core that would vibrate loud. i pulled it out. no shims. i saw it sitting in the top of the tool box yesterday, so I now know what i did with it.

you have the HMF performance series slipon? cuz mine came with the spark screen

pmg8134
04-11-2012, 01:31 PM
i do. bought it with quad used. so who knows

400exjoker
04-11-2012, 01:32 PM
aww ok