PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Honda TRX400EX Starting Problem!

SharpRacing144
04-09-2012, 07:30 PM
My 400 doesn't want to start. It will compression start but the Electric start wont work. It just makes a click down near the battery. I just replaced to cylinoid with a brand new one and it work after that for a little while. And then it just stopped starting with the electric start. Also it would always stall when i hit a water puddle at high speeds! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! :(

HondaRacing83
04-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Yeah, someone help Trevor me and him have a harescramble to run Sunday! Is the coil good? The water puddle deal sounds like something to do with the intake/carb. Lol is the battery good tard?

dxcody
04-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by SharpRacing144
My 400 doesn't want to start. It will compression start but the Electric start wont work. It just makes a click down near the battery. I just replaced to cylinoid with a brand new one and it work after that for a little while. And then it just stopped starting with the electric start. Also it would always stall when i hit a water puddle at high speeds! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! :(

They will all sputter and stuff if you hit water at high speeds, thats why when you watch GNCC's Guy go slow, high gear, low RPM through the creeks and such.

If the relay just clicks 1 time that means the relay is bad.

If the relay clicks repeatedly that means your starters bad.

Check your fuse.

Get a Voltage meter and check your battery also, should be 11.00 - 12.XX volts.

SharpRacing144
04-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Yeah, someone help Trevor me and him have a harescramble to run Sunday! Is the coil good? The water puddle deal sounds like something to do with the intake/carb. Lol is the battery good tard? IT wont even start when i try to jump it with a jumper pack!

quadracer556
04-09-2012, 08:01 PM
test the battery/fuse if thats good connect the two posts on the solenoid with pliers,screwdriver,small piece of wire to eliminate that.still nothing start checking your connections from the solenoid back to the starter and the push button/headlight button switch box. stalling in water isnt really going to affect it not starting dry to begin with.sounds like the old 400 needs some TLC and maintenance.

SharpRacing144
04-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by quadracer556
test the battery/fuse if thats good connect the two posts on the solenoid with pliers,screwdriver,small piece of wire to eliminate that.still nothing start checking your connections from the solenoid back to the starter and the push button/headlight button switch box. stalling in water isnt really going to affect it not starting dry to begin with.sounds like the old 400 needs some TLC and maintenance. We have tried the screwdriver trick! it still wont fire. Doesnt do anything! When i turn the key the head lights and everything come on though. There is just ONE click down by the battery. And even when i try to jump it, its just one click!

quadracer556
04-09-2012, 08:24 PM
well its in that area somewhere,if it were stator,coil,cdi it would turn over atleast.gotta be in your connections somewhere if you have eliminated battery/solenoid.

quadracer556
04-09-2012, 08:24 PM
well its in that area somewhere,if it were stator,coil,cdi it would turn over atleast.gotta be in your connections somewhere if you have eliminated battery/solenoid.

dxcody
04-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Sounds like a bad connection on the positive battery terminal kinda.

SharpRacing144
04-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Thanks guys. Its at a shop right now and they mechanic there can't even figure it out! So if he doesnt get it. ill do everything you guys suggested !

400exjoker
04-09-2012, 08:43 PM
i had the same thing happen to me in the middle of the dunes when i killed it on a hill all my problem was the ground wire snapped off the little piece it pinches onto

CJM
04-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Check the grounds, also check the connection at the starter itself. I had the same problem and the connection at the starter was bad.

SharpRacing144
04-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Thanks guys. I will call the mechanic at the shop today and tell him to try that stuff!!

SharpRacing144
04-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks everyone. Just talked to the mechanic and he said it needs a whole new wiring harness! Ill be getting the quad back on Friday and be able to race it on Sunday! :blah: