PDA

View Full Version : first mod question

madmaxmodquad
04-09-2012, 09:47 AM
hello all i have been loving every ride with my stock 400 but i am getting to that point most of you have crossed already time to tear into this thing i know my valves a due [overdue] for a adjustment and im shure its time for a t/chain tennsioner and a new chain so i have this thing about do it once and do it right so here is a list i have compiled from reading some of your mod sheets
1. adjust valves
2. install crf 450 chain [with stock honda tennsioner?]
3. jet to 42/150 and install slipon and filter [grind header welds]
4. 11.1 piston on a stock bore ,do i need hd studs/gaskets?
5. xr 400 cam
do you think i should just build it all at once to save money or can i do the steps ive listed and if i need to change the order of things i your opinion

tri5ron
04-09-2012, 09:58 AM
You need better front shocks,
BEFORE, you need any engine mods.

Adjust your valves and get your jetting correct first.

Then re-evaluate what you need.

TheAwesomehonda
04-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Well that would work ok but imo stage two hot cam, 416 cuz you should have to bored anyhow. I also think if its not ticking it don't need a cam chain. How old is the quad? If your going to do the cam chain its more work cuz the right crank case cover, clutch and oil pump need to be removed. So you should also do clutch plates at least if you need to put a new cam chain. The tensioner is also probobly good so don't waist your money on a new one unless its ticking, also that can be changed at anytime with the rest of the quad assembled. Just something to think about.

440rdr1
04-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by madmaxmodquad
hello all i have been loving every ride with my stock 400 but i am getting to that point most of you have crossed already time to tear into this thing i know my valves a due [overdue] for a adjustment and im shure its time for a t/chain tennsioner and a new chain so i have this thing about do it once and do it right so here is a list i have compiled from reading some of your mod sheets
1. adjust valves
2. install crf 450 chain [with stock honda tennsioner?]
3. jet to 42/150 and install slipon and filter [grind header welds]
4. 11.1 piston on a stock bore ,do i need hd studs/gaskets?
5. xr 400 cam
do you think i should just build it all at once to save money or can i do the steps ive listed and if i need to change the order of things i your opinion

do the motor all at once, as awesomehonda mentioned the 416 kit.... mannnn i JUST broke my 416 in on saturday....416 11:1 stage 2 cam, 08 crf450r chain,450r carb, etc etc....took my boy whos 60lbs lighter off the line each time on the dirt with his modd'd 450r just about each time, on the road it was a diff story tho, got me by 2 quads topped out lol

bullett
04-09-2012, 10:39 AM
I agree with tri5ron. Do the suspension first. Makes it feel like a whole new quad.

madmaxmodquad
04-16-2012, 07:18 PM
THanks for all advice gonna do the basics first and adj. Valves first rejet for a slipon second and see where that lands me