PDA

View Full Version : 400ex idle adjustment help

07RedRider400
04-09-2012, 08:01 AM
i need to adjust the idle but dont have the special tool Honda recommends,
But here is my question:
what does the throttle stop screw do? the manual is saying that is the idle adjust but also that the pilot screw that sticks out on the bottom of the carb does the same thing,
so what is the difference??
and also last time i tried to mess with the throttle stop screw it just twisted back to where it was before......so confused??

CJM
04-10-2012, 09:12 PM
The Air/Fuel screw (not pilot screw thats inside the carb) has nothing to do with the idle, it fine tunes the mixture a bit more than the pilot. You do however (according to the manual) adjust the a/f screw with the quad running (supposed to anyways) this is impossible unless you have a special very expensive screwdriver.

As for the throttle stop screw? That might be referring to the idle adjust on the carb or the actual adjustment at the throttle. Adjusting both raises or lowers the idle. I like to have the throttle cable slightly tight and then use the idle screw to fine tune the idle. If you remove the side of the carb you can see exactly what these two adjustments do as you will see the cam that moves the butterfly in the carb move.