PDA

View Full Version : XC Setup

quadmad
04-09-2012, 06:17 AM
I am looking to learn more about how you guys have got your quads setup.
I am running CT310 bottom / mide pipe and man I cant get the front wheels off the ground in a wheelie cos ot just wheel spins.

Maybe I should go fly wheel weights or lower the compression. Can I here about your xc setups, Tires is another qustion.

Cheers from downunder

mx91a
04-09-2012, 07:17 AM
I'm running the new Razr XC tires and they hook pretty good. Try retarding the timing a degree or two that will take some of the hit out of the low to midrange and make for a much smoother XC friendly power delivery while allowing a hair more rev on top.

quadmad
04-09-2012, 07:35 AM
So is the timing plate in stock form able to be adjusted.

fastredrider44
04-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Suspension is where it's at in XC. That will help you hook up better too.

mx91a
04-09-2012, 01:04 PM
The Stock system isn't adjustable but an aftermarket pulse generator holder (counterbalancer small bearing housing) is available from Hinson, RPM and maybe some others.

Also what gearing are you running? The front sprocket should be at least a 14 with a big bore unless running some monster tires. Use all that low end power to turn some higher gearing and that should help some with the wheelspin too.

quadmad
04-09-2012, 04:45 PM
She got Works shocks with plus two arms........ what should i adjust on the rear shock ?

I will check timing plate, With the gearing I will check it a little scared to change it cos it is so fast in top gear I have never had it flat out and on the other side of the gearing the thing jusy wheel spins but i will check the gearing and report back.

These forums are great.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/quadmad/250R/250r8.jpg

Grande Huevos
04-09-2012, 05:06 PM
i ran 13/39 on my ct 310 that i had setup for woods and loved it and didnt have any problems riding wheelies. Not sure what size tires your running but if you put some more tire down it will help with the wheel spin (if your tires are to small such as an 8in wheel they are going to spin everywhere) I ran 20x11x9 and got great traction and had plenty of power to turn them. also tire preasure is somthing many people overlook, if they are stiff when you push on them let some air out it will make all the diff in the world. I usually run like 5 lbs

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd493/jakes2c/310R.jpg

quadmad
04-09-2012, 05:34 PM
ok I got 14-38 sprockets and the reae tyres are 18x11x8
so from reading what you guys have said both these need to be changed front tyres are 21x7x10 front and back are Holeshots.

slamdak8782
04-09-2012, 10:04 PM
13 39 sprockets are the XC setup and 20s in the rear 21 or 22 in the front. I prefer 21 up front. It should pull wheelies then but it is a little more difficult with the R. You have to ride up just before the power band rolling and then gas it. You hit the powerband and up the front end comes. Just be sure to get ready to tap the rear breaks or youll end up on your arse. :D

quadmad
04-10-2012, 07:16 AM
I love these forums cos You can here it from people that know not someone that wants to sell you some thing,

So I am now going shopping for timing plate sprockets and tyres and rims,,,,,,,,, Do I really need bead locks?

what compression domes are you guys running? as I am looking at going back to the pump gas dome..... give us your thoughts.

Any one know of any Honda Pilot for sale in Cal Long Beach area as I am looking to add one to the toy box.

Thanks guys

slamdak8782
04-10-2012, 01:37 PM
I always run pump gas but thats just me. If you want to run beadlocks they work well. It just depends how serious you are about racing really. If you just getting your feet wet its not like they are just gonna come right off on a standard wheel. If you are going to become a national champion or a home town legend then ya I'd run race fuel hiper bead locks all around and plus 1 fronts probably plus 1 or 2 in the rears. Its all up to you and how crazy you want to make it. Alot of guys around here run a plus two front arm with a 4 to 1 offset on the wheel and plus two axle preferably a durablue in the rear. IMO razr twos are one of the best tires for XC. So that is a pretty decent run down.

Grande Huevos
04-10-2012, 05:08 PM
I wouldnt even bother trying to mess with your timing if it were me. If you go from your current setup to an inch bigger wheels on rear and bigger tires which will have new tread and different gearing its going to be night and day difference!! I would jump on motosport.com and get a chain sprocket combo. Also make sure you air filter is always clean and keep a fresh plug in that baby gapped at about .18-.20 and you should be plenty happy! Dont get siscouraged either if you cant ride wheelies right off the bat because 2 strokes are way harder to ride then 4 pokes and they can take some practice!! good luck to ya and let us know what happens after you play with it a bit

RyanWsly
04-10-2012, 09:46 PM
You are having traction issues, check the rake, and the spring rate. The suspension setup is why you are having trouble. That thing should hook with half bald tires on it no matter what the size or gearing, lowering your gear ratio will not help your traction issues. 21" or 22" fronts and 20" rears are the common sizes but not your problem.

Ride Height:

Place quad on flat, level surface
Stand on the quad with hands on handlebars and shake it down a couple times to equalize – do not sit down to check ride height (only stand). If using weight, then one bag on each foot pegs (piece of woods from tearing bag) and one bag on seat near front of seat.
Measure under skid plate to ground under the foot peg area and under radiator area. I try and achieve the rear number by adjusting BOTH front and rear – then adjust the front a little more to achieve the “RAKE” that I want. “RAKE” means front is higher than the rear. A good round number for RAKE is 3/8” to 5/8”.

XC – Front – 7 5/8” (+/- ¼”) Rear – 7 1/8” (-1/8, +1/4”)

fastredrider44
04-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Good info right there!

hartwill
04-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by RyanWsly
You are having traction issues, check the rake, and the spring rate. The suspension setup is why you are having trouble. That thing should hook with half bald tires on it no matter what the size or gearing, lowering your gear ratio will not help your traction issues. 21" or 22" fronts and 20" rears are the common sizes but not your problem.

Ride Height:

Place quad on flat, level surface
Stand on the quad with hands on handlebars and shake it down a couple times to equalize – do not sit down to check ride height (only stand). If using weight, then one bag on each foot pegs (piece of woods from tearing bag) and one bag on seat near front of seat.
Measure under skid plate to ground under the foot peg area and under radiator area. I try and achieve the rear number by adjusting BOTH front and rear – then adjust the front a little more to achieve the “RAKE” that I want. “RAKE” means front is higher than the rear. A good round number for RAKE is 3/8” to 5/8”.

XC – Front – 7 5/8” (+/- ¼”) Rear – 7 1/8” (-1/8, +1/4”)
i know it says xc, but aren't these moto-x numbers??

RyanWsly
04-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Nick knows way more about suspension and chassis setup then most of us will ever hope to and those are his numbers, I just borrowed them. Here is his numbers for MX fairly similar it seems.

2.MX – Front – 7 ½” (+/- 1/8”) Rear – 7” ( +1/8”)