PDA

View Full Version : popping and shut off??

koh0001
04-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Was riding at the track..bike running great. Then it just started popping..so I shut it off and looked to make sure my air intake didn't come off. Everything looked ok. I started it back up and it would idle fine..so I tried to make it back to the trailer but it shut off and wouldn't start back up. I pulled the jets out and cleaned them but didn't change anything. Sounds like it could be sucking air ...I didn't see a crack in the head pipe. I'm running a 101mm 12:1, 43.5 bored carb, rossier pipe, 40 pilot, 185 main, 1 1/2 turns out on the fuel screw, 3rd clip on the needle, something happened for it to be running so good then BAM...any ideas where to start?

koh0001
04-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Ok..cked the valves..spot on. I'm running a NCVQ needle.. moved to the 4th clip down. Head pipe sealed and no cracks. Pulled the carb apart and cleaned it.. blew it out...plug looked alittle lean tho. If I go bigger on the pilot it won't start..I'm lost at this point. That's everything I know to ck. I don't understand why I need such a small pilot jet? I could prob go down to a 38.. because when I turn in the fuel screw all the way in. The idle goes up. Also , when I was adjusting the idle the other day I couldn't get the idle but so low ...never shut off.

DnB_racing
04-08-2012, 02:22 PM
are you getting spark?could be a plug boot, or connection

make sure its not an electrical issue, if not then you need to do a real good carb inspection and thorough cleaning followed by compressed air,

if all this is good a leakdown test might help show futher problems

koh0001
04-08-2012, 04:59 PM
I'll pull the stator cover off tomorow and ck it out, also make sure it didn't jump timming. Thanks!

DnB_racing
04-09-2012, 12:24 PM
is it getting spark?

what whould you be looking for when you pull the stator cover?usually you cant tell by looking if a stator is bad, unless its completly fried..

just check for spark ...then be absolulty sure you have valves in spec, and clean carb....

koh0001
04-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Valves are spot on .007 intake, .011exhaust Nothing in the cover..I was making sure nothing was on the pick coil making it short. ( metal ) Cleaned the carb yesterday. and blew it out. I just changed the CDI, and Coil I'm going to put the cover back on , add some oil and see what I have.

koh0001
04-09-2012, 07:48 PM
had some small metal shevings on the pickup..also fine aluminum particles in my oil filter. I couldn't hold my plug and kik it enough to ck the spark. I'll have my wife help me tomorrow. Where would the metal shavings and aluminum be coming from. This is the 3rd time I've changed my oil from break in.

DnB_racing
04-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by koh0001
had some small metal shevings on the pickup..also fine aluminum particles in my oil filter. I couldn't hold my plug and kik it enough to ck the spark. I'll have my wife help me tomorrow. Where would the metal shavings and aluminum be coming from. This is the 3rd time I've changed my oil from break in. metal is not good,
it could be from gears, bearings, what year and how many hours on motor?
the stator side should be clean of any gear fragrments, as the stator is the motor side not the transmission side, but its possible there is a bad seal, and its letting the transmission and crank oil mix

it might be left from building, but thats not real good either,any motor builder allways throughly cleans all the casese completly so it doesnt get into bearings

you said youve changed the oil 3 times, was there metal all 3 times?

every time I found metal on a pickup there was a bearing going

koh0001
04-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Ive only rode it 3 times, 05 less than 5 hrs on the motor. First time I've changed the filter.. but I've change the oil every ride. I didn't pay that much attention the first time. I did see power size aluminum in the oil the 2nd time... Thats what made me look closer this time. Not quit leper size in the filter ...more than I'd like to see. I just put a new trans, crank works rebuilt my crank, New rod, whole topend, +1 kw as valves, cdi, coil..I had no spark last night so I bought a Ricky stator ..stator. I hate to put any more time on it and trash my whole motor..WAY too much money in the motor. It would almost. Be worth pulling it apart to see what's going on...

fastredrider44
04-12-2012, 08:33 PM
You might have some residual metal left in your oil cooler. Sometimes it will get trapped in there and come out with time. As far as no spark, typically that is a stator, but it can certainly be other things too, such as bad ground, bad coil, short, or an issue with a killswitch.

QuadRacer041
04-20-2012, 06:15 PM
I had a the same problem, it wound up being my stator.

koh0001
04-20-2012, 07:33 PM
ok, changed the coil, CDI, and a new ricky stator ..stator. I have fire now.. but still wont start... I'm lost. Timming marks are spot on valves spot on.. I don't get it. I'll trying pulling it tomorrow and see if she'll fire off. I sure hope so. Anything I'm missing??? My stator didn't come with the same plug ends on them so I put the stock ends on the same way they were on the stock one and put srink tubing oevr them.

koh0001
04-21-2012, 02:09 PM
pulled it today and it started right up. BUT.... it ides VERY HIGH and nothing I do will change it. Cable's not tight, and idle screw is so far out it doesn't even touch in the side of the carb.??

QuadRacer041
04-22-2012, 05:07 AM
I gotta say sounds like a timing or valve clearance issue.

koh0001
04-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Pulled the top back off my carb.. I put the slide plate on upside down...that was making my idle too high. Went down to a 38 pilot jet, at 1 turn out on the fuel screw and it will start first kick without pushing in the hotstart.

Stator fixed my spark problem, I'm running a Rossier pipe, Do I need that seal between the pipe and the head? Seems like my pipe is getting hot very fast...

Thanks for the input!!

koh0001
04-25-2012, 03:03 PM
I guess lack of spark caused me to jet it lean. I put a 45pilot 1.5 turns out on the fuelscrew and BINGO.. first kick every time no hotstart. I guess my big can is making my valves louder than before.. Runs great now..MAD POWER>

Thanks!!