PDA

View Full Version : Burning trans fluid after crank seal replacement

sangheraent
04-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Ok if you read my last post you know my bike was burning trans fluid so I changed the crank seal. Well it didn't stop even after I changed the seal.

I'm guessing that it could be my center case gasket? maybe that little metal round thing could be worn out?

anyone ever dealt with this before?

265 sleeper
04-07-2012, 01:51 PM
You would have to do a leak down test . To see for sure . If the collar that goes around the crank and between the seal has any rings cut into it it will leak. Sometimes flipping it around will stop it . But if center case gasket leaking then you know you have to split them. Make sure you lap the case halfs before you put them back together. More in likely they are warped if leaking from the center case gaskets .

fearlessfred
04-07-2012, 07:12 PM
it is more than likly a groved collar. i dont remember being able to flip the collar ,but you can very the depth of the seal slightly to avoid the groved area. i would just get a new collar ,if you push the seal in to deep it will get into the main bearing

Rich250RRacer
04-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
it is more than likly a groved collar. i dont remember being able to flip the collar ,but you can very the depth of the seal slightly to avoid the groved area. i would just get a new collar ,if you push the seal in to deep it will get into the main bearing

I agree, the collar can groove very badly and this will allow oil to pass, even on a new seal. Now the bad news, the collar is discontinued.

sangheraent
04-07-2012, 11:31 PM
I have another collar sitting in my shop. I will try that first. Ill inspect it very carefully to make sure its not bad also.

Thanks guys I never even thought of that hope it works.

I need to make a home leak down tester.

sangheraent
04-08-2012, 09:39 PM
where would I get one of these collars? my spare one is grooved so I need at least one probably buy two?

is it suppose to be perfectly smooth all the way down?

Rich250RRacer
04-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by sangheraent
where would I get one of these collars? my spare one is grooved so I need at least one probably buy two?

is it suppose to be perfectly smooth all the way down?

It should be smooth the whole way down. Maybe take an old one to a machine shop and see if they can make you one.

sangheraent
04-22-2012, 07:17 PM
how groved can it be without leaking? i have been looking around and haven't seen any perfect ones but have come across a couple that have a .3-.5 mm grove in it. Is that too big of a groove?

fearlessfred
04-22-2012, 08:14 PM
i would tap the seal in a little past flush to get past the grooved part.i have done this with sucess. just dont go to far and get into the bearing

Rich250RRacer
04-23-2012, 01:49 PM
You can take the collar to a bearing supply distributor, they may have a speedi-sleeve that will fit the collar.

bigE28
04-23-2012, 02:58 PM
hey rich, nice pic of your "quad" in your photo!!

Victork1982
04-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by sangheraent
Ok if you read my last post you know my bike was burning trans fluid so I changed the crank seal. Well it didn't stop even after I changed the seal.

I'm guessing that it could be my center case gasket? maybe that little metal round thing could be worn out?

anyone ever dealt with this before? Did you end up figuring it out? I have the same issue, also changed the seal with no luck. I have a center gasket coming and tomorrow I will take my motor apart.

sangheraent
04-30-2012, 07:58 PM
I worked on it today, I took out the collar and it had a shiny spot but I could not feel the groves on it at all. It was perfectly smooth. So it is definitely not the collar itself.

I noticed that the primary drive gears were moving about a MM in and out. I have the washer facing the right way on the bolt holding the gears on the primary drive.

I am starting to think it is the center case gasket that I need to replace.

Victork1982
04-30-2012, 08:42 PM
When I bought my R I tore it right down to go through the whole thing. As for the motor I bought a 310 kit, the connecting rod felt as good as you could ask for so I didn't tear in to the bottom end. I get my bike together and while I'm heat cycling it smokes and I knew something wasn't normal about the smoke. I noticed my tranny oil got so low it wouldn't come out of the check hole. I changed the crank seal and there wasn't any notable damage on the collar. Tomorrow I'm taking it out to split the cases and change the gasket. It really sucks to do after the bike is all together and almost done with the idling/blipping stage of the heat cycles but it have to do it if I want to enjoy a strong running R. It is what it is