PDA

View Full Version : Best Grips w/o blisters?

HondaRacing83
04-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Hey guys, I was riding today, and found out how much I hate my grips (and my clutch cable needs lubed but thats beside the fact). I use fox dirtpaw gloves, and pro taper pillowtop grips. The grips really arent that worn down and still give me blisters like crazy. Figured I'd invest in some new grips, what do you suggest? I don't think ODI lock ons would work, because i have wrap around handguards.

Pacheco_450r
04-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Grips always seem to be personal preference. I used to run Renthal full diamond or half waffle and never got blisters but I always felt like they were too thin. I didn't like how there wasn't much cushion with hard landings, vibration ect. I now run pillow tips like you have and I still don't get blisters and they are much comfier than other grips I've used.

Point I'm trying to make, is that it may not be the grips that are the problem, but maybe how tight you hold on? You may not notice it but you could be holding too tight causing the blistering when riding hard. I'm sure some others can help you out better than me.

01boneless
04-06-2012, 06:27 PM
i use odi lock ons there awsome grips and real soft. but i still get blisters. if u ride hard you will get blisters there are ways to prevent them tho. i always wrap my hand in electrical tape then put my gloves on...works for me

ryan243
04-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Pillow tops are my all time favorite. Make sure you are not gripping too tight and get those hands calloused up

TheLane
04-06-2012, 06:40 PM
to be honest with you it may be those dirtpaws, they are very coarse on the inside, i HATED them when i used them. Might try a different set of gloves.

HondaRacing83
04-06-2012, 06:46 PM
I'll try a pair of my buddys gloves. My hands are already very calloused!

Drfat400ex
04-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Like we talked about earlier, lock-ons haha! I used to use pillow tops on everything but here are the issues I find with them:

Ware quickly

VERY Slippery when they're wet

After a few hours of riding, they get dirty, like black crap on them, and it NEVER comes off and looks horrible

Still comfy, but I found the "lugs" on them weren't big enough for my preferance and my hands slipped a bit. No blisters though. But then again, I have the hands of a real man ;) :devil:

HondaRacing83
04-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Drfat400ex
Like we talked about earlier, lock-ons haha! I used to use pillow tops on everything but here are the issues I find with them:

Ware quickly

VERY Slippery when they're wet

After a few hours of riding, they get dirty, like black crap on them, and it NEVER comes off and looks horrible

Still comfy, but I found the "lugs" on them weren't big enough for my preferance and my hands slipped a bit. No blisters though. But then again, I have the hands of a real man ;) :devil: Hey there Darwin back it off with that hahaha. I know my hands slip with the pillow tops all the time

finsteratv
04-06-2012, 08:30 PM
I love my pillow tops :cool: Do some Man-e-ul labor son

CJM
04-06-2012, 08:45 PM
I have ODI lock ons and wear mechanix gloves, I never get blisters. Maybe I got tough mechanic hands from working on cars all day?

Drfat400ex
04-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I have ODI lock ons and wear mechanix gloves, I never get blisters. Maybe I got tough mechanic hands from working on cars all day? Well there is other ways to get them ;) If you know what I mean.:devil:

mamaknothead
04-06-2012, 10:34 PM
We use the Spider grips they are pretty much the best we have used

HondaRacing83
04-06-2012, 10:51 PM
My hands are very calloused, Im guessing its because I hold on to hard. Ive got a habit of doing that. My parents have a fortune wrapped up in buying me pencils for school, i snap like 5 a period just trying to write normally. Neversieze is my bestfriend working on stuff

400exjoker
04-06-2012, 11:12 PM
do aftermarket grips make a real big difference? i mean i have stock grips on my 400ex and i wear Alpinestars SMX-2 Air Carbon Motorcycle Gloves (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/45/68/164/721/-/26878/Alpinestars-SMX-2-Air-Carbon-Motorcycle-Gloves/ALPINESTARS+GLOVES) and i only thing i got on my hands is on my left hand i got 2 small callus's under my middle and ring finger i have nothing on my right hand as far as blisters/callus's and i ride EVERYDAY!
i can understand how aftermarket grips can feel more comfortable and soak in some of the vibration, guess im just not that big of a complainer :devil:

CJM
04-07-2012, 08:02 AM
The stock grips are horrible, thin, uncushioned junk imho.

Exrider434
04-07-2012, 08:06 AM
I dislike the pillowtops they are way too big around, gave me arm pump like crazy on my dirtbike. I use Renthal half waffle/ half diamond medium compound and they are awesome!

OldGuyonaQuad
04-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Stock or not I get blisters because I only ride every other or every third weekend and I have a desk job. You might just have girls hands...like me :D

rollie
04-07-2012, 11:49 AM
OURY

finsteratv
04-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
Stock or not I get blisters because I only ride every other or every third weekend and I have a desk job. You might just have girls hands...like me :D Haha you've got it better than me! I ride maybe 3 or 4 times during the winter/fall then mostly on my property when I'm not logging on the weekends..I cant even spend my money on mods anymore..I have a "gas for riding" jar for when i get my liscence..haha

HondaRacing83
04-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by rollie
OURY bingo

BoneStockHonda
04-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by rollie
OURY

^This.