PDA

View Full Version : Building jumps and "whoops"

2011_honda_:D
04-06-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm in the process of trying to build a small track to help me practice racing my atv.. I dont have that much land and i dont have any heavy machinery, all i have is a shovel, lawn mower and a attachable trailer to haul the dirt. So does anybody have any tips that can help me build any jumps, or "whoops" ? I am somewhat of a rookie and have a 2011 trx250x.. Dimensions would help to !! haha :blah:

BlasterEaten250
04-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Find logs or rocks to use as fillers, they will be your best friend. Oh, and speaking of friends...find a friend or two to help. It's worth it when you are done! Just don't expect anything too huge with just shovels.

ryan243
04-06-2012, 11:45 AM
use 55 gallon plastic drums too. dig a small trench for it to sit in so that it doesnt move a bunch, then put your dirt over it. I've got a few jumps built like this that have lasted about ten years

Drfat400ex
04-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Ah the good old shovel days!! Taking 3 hours to build a jump that would have took 2 minutes with the skidsteer hahaha! Anyways, get a bunch of friends who like riding, tell them if they help you with your track for a whole day building they can use it blah blah blah. Logs work phenominal! Especially for whoops, not that I've made any due to the whole space for it issue lol. But cut a few trees, stack em up then just have to put a bit of dirt overtop of them. Hope it works out and you have lots of fun on your track!

TacicalRedneck
04-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Don't make your jumps to short, have the takeoff long enough so you won't nose dive. Lot of physics and theory that come into play... But who pays attention to that... lol

Look on youtube how other folks make them... gives you some really good ideas. Or on riding videos you see a lot of good ideas on how the landings need to be..

Its also nice to break up the ground with a tiller before you start digging to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSeghOQDqE&list=UUa-AcSh375q7FDH84rq88YQ&index=26&feature=plcp

look at those jumps, and think to put them to your scale. :)

hope this helped. a little. :cool:

04-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by TacicalRedneck
Don't make your jumps to short, have the takeoff long enough so you won't nose dive. Lot of physics and theory that come into play... But who pays attention to that... lol

Look on youtube how other folks make them... gives you some really good ideas. Or on riding videos you see a lot of good ideas on how the landings need to be..

Its also nice to break up the ground with a tiller before you start digging to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSeghOQDqE&list=UUa-AcSh375q7FDH84rq88YQ&index=26&feature=plcp

look at those jumps, and think to put them to your scale. :)

hope this helped. a little. :cool:

i know all the basics, i have a few ramps already but no matter what there are just always small things that mess me up... my problem is, that the ramp can be even and not lopsided but the back of my fourwheeler always kicks out and i land sideways.. and when i go back to look at the ramp one tire always leaves the ramp before the other. i also usually see that my yard isnt level... at all. and it confuses me and makes me build my jumps with a really wide left side (if you look at the ramp from the way i go to hit them) and less wide with a steeper side on the other side. i just get confused easily.

CJM
04-09-2012, 01:58 PM
^ Thats not the jump, thats you leaning too much to one side more than likely.

You are packing down the ramp after you make them right?

TacicalRedneck
04-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by CJM

Yeah, that could be it.

Tried checking the top of your jumps with a level?

Oh and id like to see a pic of your jumps if you can, always like to see others ideas.

04-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Yeah, that could be it.

Tried checking the top of your jumps with a level?

Oh and id like to see a pic of your jumps if you can, always like to see others ideas.

i have a few videos on youtube if that helps.. i dont have any pictures on my computer.. sorry.

04-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by CJM

yeah i pack the jumps down and i usually work until it gets dark out, so i just pack them down and leave them over night and ride on them the day after if im not workin on something else on my track.

04-09-2012, 02:17 PM
since im new to this site and being a user i dont know that much about it (this website)... i have a question about it, can you make it to were when someone replies to you or posts on your topic that you can see it ? because i cant tell when someone posts on this so i keep looking to make sure and its not really fun to keep doing it. haha

slightlybent47
04-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by 2011_honda_:D
i know all the basics, i have a few ramps already but no matter what there are just always small things that mess me up... my problem is, that the ramp can be even and not lopsided but the back of my fourwheeler always kicks out and i land sideways.. and when i go back to look at the ramp one tire always leaves the ramp before the other. i also usually see that my yard isnt level... at all. and it confuses me and makes me build my jumps with a really wide left side (if you look at the ramp from the way i go to hit them) and less wide with a steeper side on the other side. i just get confused easily.

Also too much throtle on take off will make it kick out to one side.

04-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Also too much throtle on take off will make it kick out to one side.

ohh, ive never heard of that before.. haha, to be honest i am a little afraid to check if that actually works.. :P

slightlybent47
04-09-2012, 02:35 PM
When you spin your wheels on take off, one side can slip and the other side grip and it will through you sideways. The trick is to use more of your momentum to get you over a jump and not power. It’s deferent then jumping on a motorcycle. On a two wheeler you can pin it on take off where quads are a little deferent.

04-09-2012, 02:56 PM
When you spin your wheels on take off, one side can slip and the other side grip and it will through you sideways. The trick is to use more of your momentum to get you over a jump and not power. It’s deferent then jumping on a motorcycle. On a two wheeler you can pin it on take off where quads are a little deferent.

use my momentum ? i dont think i trust that because one day i was just ridin around and when i got out of a turn before a jump i ''gunned'' it and a few feet before the ramp i let off the gas and i nose-dived... (this was a loonng time ago though, when i was just experimenting)

slightlybent47
04-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Chopping the throttle on the face of a jump is not recommended unless you compensate by pulling hard on the bars and getting back on the seat. You can chop the throttle a bit in order to get it to nose over but you better know just how much or you’ll be going over the bars. It’s what separates the men from the boy’s.lol

When jumping it’s best to stay steady on the throttle, drive up the ramp and use just enough power to keep a steady speed, don’t blip the throttle to much or the front end will lift too high. Not enough and you’ll nose dive.

TacicalRedneck
04-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Well, heres some tips you probably know. Just random things.

Whilst in the air,.gassing it will raise your front end because of the momentum of the rear wheels, tapping the rear brake seems to lower your front end. I.never gass off while on a jump, especially one that thevtakeoff ramp is shorter than my bike, it will make you nose dive. I will upload a pic of a well prepared jump if I can find one.
Just my $0.02.

04-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Chopping the throttle on the face of a jump is not recommended unless you compensate by pulling hard on the bars and getting back on the seat. You can chop the throttle a bit in order to get it to nose over but you better know just how much or you’ll be going over the bars. It’s what separates the men from the boy’s.lol

When jumping it’s best to stay steady on the throttle, drive up the ramp and use just enough power to keep a steady speed, don’t blip the throttle to much or the front end will lift too high. Not enough and you’ll nose dive.

yeah, i know most of that stuff i just hsve difficulty actually building a stable ramp that looks somewhat professional.. haha

slightlybent47
04-09-2012, 03:13 PM
All jumps are deferent so no single way to attack them all. It all depends on the shape and height of the jump.

slightlybent47
04-09-2012, 03:18 PM
It takes a lot of dirt to make safe jumps (Table tops) Try building just one jump you can hit for both directions.

04-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Well, heres some tips you probably know. Just random things.

Whilst in the air,.gassing it will raise your front end because of the momentum of the rear wheels, tapping the rear brake seems to lower your front end. I.never gass off while on a jump, especially one that thevtakeoff ramp is shorter than my bike, it will make you nose dive. I will upload a pic of a well prepared jump if I can find one.
Just my $0.02.

you can if you want to, but i just need tips on how to build jumps... i know how to jump i just cant seem to build any jumps right, except one of them when i got lucky and didnt really try to make it look good or anything..

slightlybent47
04-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Building jumps is like riding them, trial and error. Try using dirt that has more clay then sand in it. They will hold there shape better and wont rut out as bad. All jumps need to be maintained and reworked from time to time.
Doing it with a shovel is definitely the hard way but I have built quite a few over the years that way.

TacicalRedneck
04-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by 2011_honda_:D
you can if you want to, but i just need tips on how to build jumps... i know how to jump i just cant seem to build any jumps right, except one of them when i got lucky and didnt really try to make it look good or anything..

Curious, what quad are you using?

slightlybent47
04-09-2012, 03:28 PM
If you use fillers like logs, tires, rocks or what ever you have, make sure you cover them with a lot of dirt. If it ruts out to the point the junk starts to show through, then put more dirt on it. good luck you have a lot of work to do.lol

04-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Building jumps is like riding them, trial and error. Try using dirt that has more clay then sand in it. They will hold there shape better and wont rut out as bad. All jumps need to be maintained and reworked from time to time.
Doing it with a shovel is definitely the hard way but I have built quite a few over the years that way.

i know but if i keep trying to build jumps and they arent good, then one day im going to try to jump one and it might be bad and i wreck.. and considering im only 13 i dont have alot of time or money to just fix everything on it that broke or got damaged... and i rather have a few tips on building them than none..

04-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Curious, what quad are you using?

2011 trx250x with a hmf exhaust.. everything else is stock on it.

slightlybent47
04-09-2012, 03:36 PM
I ride a built 400ex, and there not known for there top end speed or having as much power as a 450. That’s where I have to use speed and momentum to clear many jumps instead of power. Many times I have to back off a jump because I’m flat out pined and at top end speed so if it spins on the face or I’m tapped out for power, I can’t quite get over some jumps. It safer to roll those jumps then risk it kicking out on me or not having the wheel spin in the air to correct myself if I get out of shape.